• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

DSA 135....

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
cut off the piece rubbing on the side of the skimmer, still some slight pump noise but i think that will dissipate with time. I'd imagine the skimmer is going to be a little bit all over the place until it breaks in, whatever timeframe that may be.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
well, i woke up to it skimming great, but the pump noise is back, now for another round of diag with vertex, pull the pump and see if it makes the noise in a bucket.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
pulled the pump out, stuck it in a bucket and confirmed it's the source of the noise, vertex is sending out a new impeller to see if that fixes the issue, if not i have to send them back the pump for additional diagnosis. I've put the reef octo back in for now as i'm tired of taking things apart and its an extremely tight fit in that sump due to the standpipe. hopefully this will arrive early next week and solves the problem.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
pulled the pump out, stuck it in a bucket and confirmed it's the source of the noise, vertex is sending out a new impeller to see if that fixes the issue, if not i have to send them back the pump for additional diagnosis. I've put the reef octo back in for now as i'm tired of taking things apart and its an extremely tight fit in that sump due to the standpipe. hopefully this will arrive early next week and solves the problem.

good luck with that sucks when something new isn't working just right

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
good luck with that sucks when something new isn't working just right

Yup, i'm trying to stay positive though, lol. I got this thing for a good discount, if it works out in the end, i'll have a very nice skimmer. I have noticed though that the higher end the item you buy, the more hoops you have to jump through when it doesn't work. This thing has been apart more times than both my other skimmers for the last 3 years.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Now i'm beginning to get at the end of my rope here. while pulling the pump apart and putting it back together again, one of the screw holes stripped out that connects the base plate to the pump. Now of course they state this is not warranty, but my issue is this. Had this worked right from day 1, this thing wouldn't have been disassembled 15 times, i would have never messed with it, i would have never had to trim a piece of plastic off of the pump mount, and i would have never had to take the pump apart, so i would have never stripped that hole. I shouldn't have to work this hard for something this expensive.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Now i'm beginning to get at the end of my rope here. while pulling the pump apart and putting it back together again, one of the screw holes stripped out that connects the base plate to the pump. Now of course they state this is not warranty, but my issue is this. Had this worked right from day 1, this thing wouldn't have been disassembled 15 times, i would have never messed with it, i would have never had to trim a piece of plastic off of the pump mount, and i would have never had to take the pump apart, so i would have never stripped that hole. I shouldn't have to work this hard for something this expensive.
i agree...i think your making it worse...i think you should leave it alone...sorry Art @art13 i feel your pain as i have been there before

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That sucks. Possible to return it? Obviously a defective product.

Well, per vertex, they handle the warranty directly, so i can't send it back. It's been sitting out of the tank for a week now, they are sending a new impeller to see if that fixes it. if it doesn't, i have to send the pump back, so thats another 1.5 to 2 weeks without this skimmer. I'm all for if they want to handle it directly, and they do work with you to a point, but in my opinion, if i pay for something and it doesn't work, they should exchange it, and let me send the defective one back, and they deal with it, i as the consumer should not have to deal with someone's expensive defective product.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
additions to the tank yesterday were a baby blue tang, sail fin tang, firefish and lawnmower blenny. My kole tang is a real a-hole, he's one day away from living in the sump for a while or being sold.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The side effect I was going for was raising my ph with an outside airline. The reef octo just couldn't do it enough for me, air draw on it was about 800lph, this one is 1800lph, the ph increased about .15 overall after it's been run in for a few days, and with the certain type of algae I have, I think overskimming is going to help, along with the amount of fish going in I'm going to need it.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have an outside airline running to mine, i'm assuming this is hopefully just the break in, as i have the exit valve for the skimmer wide open and it's still flowing into the cup. I feed the tank in the morning, after that it seems to skim fine all day and right around lights out it decides it wants to go crazy again.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm hoping it's at the end of the break in, it's not pouring out anymore, though still steady enough that the cup would fill in about an hour. If i feed the fish it actually goes and skims great for a few hours. I thought about the skimmer being too big but i would think if it was then it wouldn't be foaming over, it would be struggling to build a foam head. Maybe i could be wrong on that one.