• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Edwin's Dream 180 (6x2x2) planned build...

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Hey I figured I will do this build right and get some opinions pre-execution as opposed to when I'm having all these problems...

I currently have two tanks setup in a custom stand built by Kevin, Paul (Red fish\blue fish) and Jose its a 7ft 8'' stand. They drain into a 75 gallon custom sump... I really like tangs and angels and would like to keep more of them... So this upgrade is about getting a Regal and Achilles (would be my 5th tang, currently I have.... Hippo, Whitecheek, Purple, Yellow) that I want....

The tank will be lightly coated with sand (essentially barebottom)
My current plan is to use this custom stand (need to open up the back.... to much moisture) and sump.

I'm still undecided on the lights... Im really considering going back to T5s but the annual expense scares me over a 6footer... I rather make the LEDs work hence the reason I want to get the par meter and find the sweet parts of tank...

My planned equipment so far are as follows:

- An AGA non-drilled tank (I dont want anymore massive overflows)
- Mag 18 return pump

- 3000 Glass hole overflow or 2 1,500 (3000k/2) for redunancy. (Question: why is the 3000K kit only 4 inche wide, while the 1500L box is a whopping 7.5 inches wide?)
- What size returns should I put on this?
- Should I use one overflow box (3000K from glas holes) or go with the (3000K/2) 2 1500 overflows for redundancy

- 75 gallon sump ( I will probably cut the baffles between the socks and skimmer. To make room for.....

- SRO-5000INT - Super Reef 10" In Sump Skimmer Dim: 17.5"x11"x24.75" Rated up to 400gal.

- Biopellet reactor - Reef Octpus 2200ML capacity

- Reef Octpus 6.5" Dual Chamber Calcium Reactor 24" High Rated to 400gal

- Lighting options are: (Another Question for debate)
- 3x AI sol blues (need to buy another one) and 2 48 inch T5s supplement
- 72 inch Current fixture with 12 (39W) T5 bulbs
- maybe fathom LEDS so that Jimmy can dial them in for me

- Circulation
- will be 4 MP40s and 1 WP40 (HerbieK - style flow aka hurricane tank)
- thinking of a spray bar along the bottom and top to remove all possible deadspots (idea from Downbeach)

- 24x24x16 frag tank.... (future addition - possibly next year)

Planned Stocking list will be: ( most of these are owned already except for Achilles, Regal and Jawfish... hence the required upgrade)
Tangs (they provide so much movement)

Hippo, Whitecheek, Purple, Yellow, Achilles.... All introduced at the same time (will keep in QT until i get the achilles.... ) - open for debate on how to do the introduction

Angels
Coral Beauty and Regal Angel... still researching on possible additions (recommendations are welcomed

Clowns

Black Ice, Regular Clown (they seem mated already)
2x B&W Occelaris

Gobies
Green mandarin, Blue Spot Jaw fish (up in the air... might never see it)

Misc
1 Barlett Anthias

I will post pics of the equipement i Have now... But this is it for now.... . Please dont hesitate to point out stupid ideas... I value the clubs opinion greatly... being that everything i know is from you guys.....

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Edwin, not sure where you got your Glass-Holes dimension for the 3000 gph overflow, but here's a cut-n-paste right from the site: 18.25 x 3.5 x 7 inches.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Yeah. thats the 3000, the 1500 is the head scratcher....

3000/2 Complete Overflow Kit or Half a 3K

When only half of a 3000 kit is needed, or add another one to have a drain on each end of the tank. 9 1/4" x 7" x 3 3/4" overflow kit...

Im guessing since its shorter they have to make protrude more... but I rather the 3000 and sacrifice redundancy for real estate

Edwin, not sure where you got your Glass-Holes dimension for the 3000 gph overflow, but here's a cut-n-paste right from the site: 18.25 x 3.5 x 7 inches.

Also do your research on the AGA tank. As I have read and spoken with aqueon they have been switching to tempered glass. I was planning on drilling my 90 but didn't for that reason. There are companies that still do regular glass in larger tank just gotta do the research.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Thanks for the heads up John, I just spoke to Aqeuon and they said only the bottom is tempered and will be like that for the forseeable future.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Huh. Well then proceed. They told me quite different about a yr ago.

I will use that computer and glasses trick. Just to confirm. Put good to know

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
glad to have been part of this discussion before it was officially announced on the forum :)

can't wait to see this thing.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I hope you got the okay from the boss. Or you'll be staying in my basement.

As long as I stay within my confined space ( stand). I can do what I want as long as I learn how to launder the cash from the bank account)

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Edwin no need to hide money, I'm sure she has an idea how much you are spending. It's a sure giveaway when the bank sends the eviction notice in the mail just after the power gets turned off. Lol lights out!

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Hey, I'm debating building getting an AGA or perfecto tank. Is there any difference in workmanship and quality or are they all the same? The warranty is irrelevant since Im drilling the tank

horseplay

NJRC Member
I think quality wise they are the same. Perfecto has black silicon, at least mine does if you like the look.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Hey Edwin, here are the photo's we discussed. I used two 3" street wye's glued end to end with a piece of pipe between them to get the right distance so they'd wrap around the overflow chamber. I then drilled a number of 1" holes in the unit. I used a Tunze 6025 PH for flow. I am waiting for a couple of WP 25's to replace them with.

StreetWye2.jpg

StreetWye.jpg

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Im debating on the placement of my 3 mp40s inside the 180. Im considering placing them all on the back wall. Any comments?

Concerns are:
- The pressure that it might place on the tank since its only going 24 inches and bouncing off the glass as opposed to going length-wise
- Will the MP40s on the same side of the overflow, prevent the dietrus from getting to the overflow....

The next question would be, if I run it on the wall, which mode should i run and which shoud be synch (S) anti-synch (A).. Here is what im thinking......

......40S................overflow.........................40A

.............40S...........................WEBO-40

Hey Edwin, here are the photo's we discussed. I used two 3" street wye's glued end to end with a piece of pipe between them to get the right distance so they'd wrap around the overflow chamber. I then drilled a number of 1" holes in the unit. I used a Tunze 6025 PH for flow. I am waiting for a couple of WP 25's to replace them with.

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee410/Downbeach88/StreetWye2.jpg[/IM G]

[IMG]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee410/Downbeach88/StreetWye.jpg[/IM G][/QUOTE]

Thats an awesome setup you have there. I think ill be stealing that idea!

@ecambero, i like the direction this is going so far. 180's are #2 in the list of favorite tank dimensions.