• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Elos store in millburn/short hills

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Nice tanks but overpriced IMO. No tank will last forever. 20 years is a long time. Silicone will age / degrade on any reef tank. Then factor in scrapes from scrubbing the glass, scratches, etc and you'll want to replace it in 5yrs. Especially if using black silicone.

FYI there is a 5 year warranty on all tanks, no other manufacturer in the industry offers a warranty of that type. The "black silicone" used to seal all the aquariums isn't your basic black silicone that you purchase in a tube from Home Depot. It is a proprietary, patented adhesive that no other tank manufacturer uses. If your tank is "scraped and scratched" that badly after 5 years that it needs to be replaced, then you you shouldn't be purchasing an aquarium of this high quality, as you are not caring for it properly...

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
If we all had to replace our tanks in 5 years, no one would be in this hobby.

I have no intention of replacing our ELOS system in five years. That is exactly why we selected it, so that we would not feel we needed to replace it after a short number of years.
It is exceptionally sturdy, and it is very well made. From the beveled edges on the glass to the rimless design, it is an attractive tank that I do not plan to replace in the near future.
I have kept tanks for 5+ years in the past, and I have every intention of keeping this tank for a long time as well.
Was the tank expensive? Yes, it was. Do I think it was worth the money? Yes. Our 57g oceanic tank was unstable. Our 205g is the exact opposite. There is peace of mind that comes with buying a well constructed tank. One other thing that has not been mentioned is the customer service that comes from Elos. They delivered the tank to our door on a day we selected, they came with a crew of people who know how to move fish tanks, and they set up the tank and stand for us in the room we selected. Then they leveled the tank. The stand arrived with a flaw so small we did not see it, but did Elos just let that go? Nope. They identified the flaw, and replaced the flawed doors (even though we had not noticed the flaws or asked them to do so), free of charge, and delivered & installed the new doors.
In addition to that, every time you replace a tank or move livestock from one tank to another, you risk losses to fish and coral. I personally would prefer to spend the money up front rather than buy, then buy again every few years.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Money well spent on a good tank. Of I had the cash I would do something like an elos or reef savvy. Like anything else you get what you pay for. You can buy a korilla powerhead or a vortec or a reef octopus or a bubble king. For what it's worth I have seen tanks from the run of the mill tank manufacturers up and running 15 years plus. You shouldn't have a problem keeping one of these well made tanks up for that long and even longer

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
My Custom 180 is over 20 years old and it is holding water just fine.

Can we all agree that as individuals we can buy which ever tank we want and spend as little or as much as we want on said tank? Are the tanks expensive, they are. Are they worth it, some say yes and some say no. I believe they are when you look at the warranty, the customer service and if i read correctly the lifetime 10% discount on some of the foods and supplies. We might have an easier time deciding whose mom is the best cook. This thread has gotten away from the original post about the store which IMO is a great addition to the choices we have in the local area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Can we all agree that as individuals we can buy which ever tank we want and spend as little or as much as we want on said tank? Are the tanks expensive, they are. Are they worth it, some say yes and some say no. I believe they are when you look at the warranty, the customer service and if i read correctly the lifetime 10% discount on some of the foods and supplies. We might have an easier time deciding whose mom is the best cook. This thread has gotten away from the original post about the store which IMO is a great addition to the choices we have in the local area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Well said Steve!

Let's try to get this back on the original topic please everyone.