• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

evo bc29t

;D back in the hobby.

this time went more realistic and mapping out exactly how I want it setup and time frames on when everything should be done.

thanks to oscar for a GREAT DEAL. practically brand new never used BioCube 29

doing research on mods:

-remove chamber 1/2 blockage
-remove bioballs/sponge
-lighting upgrade
-silicone bottom intake?

chamber 1 - stealth 150w heater carbon/filter floss
chamber 2 - chemipure/purigen/ LR rubble/chaeto probably house a HOB skimmer
chamber 3 - return

questions for those with BioCubes:

what type of skimmer are you running?
I personally had a seaclown (started and never again), prizm pro dlx (decent but hate having to adjust), and aquaC remora did a pretty good job but will have to modify the stock canopy if i make the change.

nanotuners upgrade lights, i plan on keeping mainly zoas, pulse xenia, frogspawn, ricordia will the stock lighting suffice for the corals i mentioned?

anything you suggestions for additional mods?

the tank:
DSC01375.jpg

DSC01377.jpg

-first getting all required mods complete
-need to buy: skimmer/koralia#1PH/refractometer/thermometer/additional fan for heat (chillers are too damn expensive and won't be getting anything into the tank until sept-october)
-going with nature's ocean bioactiv sand 20# to the addition of the dry sand already in tank
-this time i'm going with tropic marine pro salt
-~30lbs LR

~i'm going to let the cycle go through about a month before CUC added

fish:

Flame Angel (would like to add first but won't)
grade A Picasso Percs (mated pair)
dracula goby/pistol shrimp

corals interested in:
acans/brains

i'll research it as well as get an answer from all you lovely reefers on lighting requirements. stock pc lighting is 72watt don't know par values since they don't put them out.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
For the lighting, zoas, softies and mushrooms should be no problem at all. I know they make a skimmer to fit in the back of the BC29 but I don't think I have ever heard of someone recommending them. They are air stone driven which is pretty worthless. I love the remore but you would have to modify the system. The stock pump is pretty small so you might want to use 2 koralia 1s. We have two koralia 2s on our 30g but we are keeping a lot of SPS in there. We have almost the same stocking plan with a pair of picassos, a coral beauty, and a pistol shrimp goby pair.

thanks for the info, mnat. long time fan of your builds! yeah, i haven't seen one post on the oceanic skimmers made for the cubes so i didn't even put that on a list of things i would even buy.

for the remora. are you going with the nano or urchin? any big difference in performance or just the volume size design?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
We actually went with just the straight AquaC skimmer. The nano is rated 5-25 g and the urchin is in sump and we don't have a sump on any of our tanks. We decided that going with a stonger skimmer would be a better decision and we were so impressed, we bought one for our 20g as well. You don't want to box yourself in with a smaller skimmer, if you can afford a better one, because you will probably want to upgrade at some point as we all do.

When we get a house next year we plan on moving the 20g and 30g into a 55-75g tank which will still allow us to use the AquaC. The skimmer is rate 20-75g so we should be just fine.

Sounds like a good stocking plan.
Check out the Hydor pico pumps...they are tiny and low watts for 300 GPH return. I had a Koralia 2 in my AP and was great. You can for sure keep all the corals mentioned with the lights. I do hate the CP lights though. T5 are much nicer but would require serious mods on the hood. Or you could try some LED mods too?

I think that you can skip the skimmer, AO had a saphire skimmer up on the shelf don't know if they sold it.

Here is the link to the picos.
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...&Product_Code=HY-P14801&Category_Code=koralia

i know it would be fine without a skimmer but would require more accurate water changes. i know it's not a mandatory but it's nice to know all the extra organics are being removed.

thanks looking into the picos

Gotcha...you know without totally destroying the look of the all in one look maybe you could plumb in a skimmer not is a sump? I guess most are a bit more serious then nano skimmers but hey better over skimming then under.

i'd like to display price list for myself and those looking to see price cost comparison or even to show much the hobby cost.

biocube29 - 200$ (oscar from njreefers)
included: stock tank, 150w stealth heater, hydor deflector, approximately 10# dry sand

items from Reef Encounter (hackensack)
chemi-pure - 15
purigen - 15
thermometer - 10
filter bags - 5.49

refractometer - 25 (fantom555 from njreefers)

running total as of today - $270

next:
Dry/LR (rafal njreefers) - 40# 80$
koralia #1 PH
tropic marine pro salt
skimmer

JR - i didn't want to get too drastic with the tank and do a sump. i want to keep it as simple as possible but for the skimmer minus well go with a known good skimmer and make the needed modifications to the canopy.

Understood...what I was thinking was if you could plumb in a skimmer to a closed loop(IDK if easy or not) then you could just cut the holes in the top of the hood without destroying the whole thing.

yeah i have seen those type of setups but those type of skimmers like BK etc would be WELL over the price range i would be willing to pay for a skimmer on a nano.

I'll see what the overall consensus of skimmer on the bc29 is. I haven't found a good thread with discussion of a great skimmer since the canopy is a problem.

sucks not being able to start my cycle since i'll be moving in 3 weeks. but waiting for some dry Rock live Rock, more sand and power head. Then i could get the cycle going and actually start my fish adventure in the nano.

biocube29 - 200$ (oscar from njreefers)
included: stock tank, 150w stealth heater, hydor deflector, approximately 10# dry sand

items from Reef Encounter (hackensack)
chemi-pure - 15
purigen - 15
thermometer - 10
filter bags - 5.49

refractometer - 25 (fantom555 from njreefers)

tropic marine PRO REEF salt - 75 (july sale fish town usa ramsey)

running total as of today - $345

next:
Dry/LR
live sand Nature's Ocean
koralia #1 PH
skimmer

just bought another 15# of lace Rock. i love the shapes. awesome for placing corals.

also, purchased the Reef Keeper Lite via Marine Depot/

prior running total: 345

today's purchases:

Lace Rock - 45
Mag Float - 10
Reef Keeper Lite - 108

new current total - $508

next:

faucet diverter - ~10
ro/di replacement filters - 45plus shipping
2 kNanos - ~30

just bought my MH fixture/RKL final rock work + magfloat.

Price - $125

From website:
The Coralife Aqualight Advanced Series Hang-on Tank Mount Fixture is sleek, streamlined and versatile with three points of articulation for multiple lighting positions. The compact and low-profile style, designed with a heavy-duty mounting bracket, is suitable for applications where space is limited. It is equipped with a cooling fan, highly-polished aluminum reflector, protective HQI glass lens cover and ventilation grill. The fixture includes a 14,000K double-ended HQI metal halide lamp and external HQI remote ballast with an on/off switch.

The 14,000K double-ended HQI metal halide lamp emits the highest light-output-per-watt available. It casts full-spectrum, cool blue-white rays allowing light to penetrate deeper into the aquarium with a realistic blue-ocean glow. The refracted light from the HQI lamp produces shimmering, dappled-lighting effects that simulate properties of natural sunlight in ocean water. It brings out vibrant colors and provides perfectly-balanced lighting for all types of corals and marine life.

* Hang-on tank HQI metal halide fixture
* 150 watt 14,000K double-ended HQI metal halide lamp
* External HQI metal halide ballasts with on/off switches, 12-foot lamp cords and 6-foot power cords
* Three points of articulation for multiple lighting positions
* Sleek, anodized black-aluminum housing with ventilation grill
* Highly-polished reflector
* Built-in cooling fan
* Glass HQI lens covers
* Heavy-duty mounting bracket

aqualightfixture.jpg

side.jpg

RKL

ReefKeeper Lite Level 1

ReefKeeper Lite Preliminary Product Information

* Expandable - up to 4 modules (PC4s, SL1s or MLC)
* pH, ORP, and switch inputs (w/ optional SL1)
* 16 timers / 16 alarms
* Audible / Visual alarms
* Wavemaker
* Dual Stage Temperature Controller
* Moonlight Controller (w/optional MLC)
* Light Controller
* Pump Controller

ReefKeeper Lite - Level 1 Includes:

* 1 x Head unit (GC2)
* 1 x PC4 (4 outlets)
* 1 x Temp Probe

RKL.jpg

douche bag from RC ended up selling it locally when we already set it sold.

found another one but coralife with a 14k pheonix bulb. so it's ok.

coralifeMH.jpg

tank setup august 24 @ 12pm sharp ;D

temps extremely high with MH. got upto 84

no chiller. i think i should be fine. bought dual azoo fans from eBay. hopefully they work out and could find a way to drop the temps to ~78-80. not adding any livestock for some time so i'll have time to determine what's necessary to keep the tank temps down.