• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

evo bc29t

prior running total: 508

recent purchases:

new items -
filter floss 6$
seachem package - 14 **testing with
R2 solutions 24" moonlights via aquacave - 45$ shipped
1 azoo fans - 35$ ebay
API Test kits (salt and reef) via marine depot - 55shipped
inTANK submersible 5w fuge lights- 45 shipped
reef keeper lite - 109 shipped

new current total - $817

updated pictures (09-04-09)

photo-1.jpg

photo2.jpg

2 weeks in

Sept 06 7:30pm

temp - 77.4
sg: 1.029
Ammonia - 1.0ppm
nitrite - .25ppm
nitrate - 0ppm
pH - 8.3
10-11dKH
CA - 32drops
Phosphates - 0

livestock - 0

suggestions?

a few changes:

live stock:
flame angel (will go in last)
pair of onyx percs
not 100% which goby i want to go with at this time. i like the Hi Fin, dracula, Yasha.

i am deciding on going through with a sump. i know many have said drilling is quite easy. i really don't have the funds to replace if i slip and the tank is already setup with water etc. and cycling so i might go with overflow box.

also i went rimless and i don't want to make a canopy since everything i bought was ideal for rimless. i'll paint the PVC over the back compartments black.

suggestions on which type of goby/shrimp pair i should go with (experiences only) and type of paint is safe to paint the PVC with?

the sump idea won't go into effect for MONTHS.

purchased ro/di MIGHTY MITE

Mighty Mite 50GPD with DI Added from AirWaterIce - 125shipped

- 15$ sold ro/di unit that received for free. so 110shipped in my eyes.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
We have a watchmen goby/pistol shrimp pair. Just make sure the pistol shrimp you get will pair with a goby, several of them will not. Most stores sell them together, which is how we got ours. We just added our flame angel in the 30g and he is doing great, really really like that fish. Once that ammonia gets to 0 I think you will be ready to go.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Rics are probably one of the hardiest corals out there, I would start with them. Some people have wild success with zoas, others have them melt out consistently. I like and keep both, but zoos can be more finicky and rics are cheaper.

thanks to Audi0s started with a MINI Frag of blue/teal palys/zoas. who knows? what is the difference?

it really isn't worthy of pictures at this time. receiving my RO/DI mighty mite unit today and will go through the first 5gallon run and dispense. then i get to do my first water change with it! w0ot!

yeah i don't plan on running my RO/DI unless i'm here and i have a timer set on my phone.

question? i use the faucet diverter. do you have to remove and replace it with the original everytime you use the RODI? does it kill the life of the faucet diverter or anything?

???

just did a water test....

SEPT 15 11:15PM

specific gravity 1.024
tempature 78-78.5
pH 7.8 :eek:
Alkalinity 10dkh
Ammonia (NH3) 0.5ppm
Nitrite (NO2) 0.25ppm
Nitrate (NO3) 0ppm
Phosophates 0
Calcium 26drops 520ppm

ok so i know pH will drop heavily overnight. but that is out of range of satisfactory for me. as prior test show me 8.3-8.4 is my usual during the day.

i have a 5w submersible light with a ball of chaeto. the ball is pretty small compared to when i had my 55 and 75gal tanks literally a HEAD sized ball of chaeto. it grew out of control but AMAZING pod growth. i haven't seen pod growth yet and really looking into a sump/refugium cause the chambers in the biocube don't seem to cut it.

from my knowledge the chaeto/light should assist in keeping the pH in proper range. so what are your suggestions?

Wow from 8.3-8.4 to 7.8 is big drop mine goes from 8.1 to 7.89 with a big lot of cheato.
Maybe more light in the fuge? I didn't monitor my nano that close to be honest so don't know how well it worked but if you provide more light it stands to reason your cheato will remove more CO2 right?

I guess it couldn't hurt. will add the extra 5w submersible light to see if it can help and do the same test at the same time.

the pH drop was tremendous and wouldn't be surprised if it didn't hurt my livestock when everything goes in.

better reason for me telling the wife it's "needed"

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
We just picked up a Brightwell product:
http://www.marinedepot.com/Brightwell_Aquatics_Alkalin8.3_Liquid_pH_Buffer_Alkalinity(KH)_Builder_500ml_17oz_Liquid_pH_KH_Buffer_Additives_Supplements-Brightwell_Aquatics-BW01006-FIADPKLA-vi.html

We got the powdered form though. Came highly recommended from another reefer, and when I picked it up, my LFS store said that is what they use in their tanks. Just started it last night and everything was alive this morning, so far so good.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
If you read the description it keep both your PH and alk levels up so it is kind of an all in one product. We were looking for ways to simplify the process and this fit the bill.