• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Frag grow out contest

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
I’ve been seeing some other local groups doing this activity where one coral is fragged and equal sized pieces are given to each member to see who can grow them the fastest.

I think we could maybe do something like this? Everyone participating could put in like $5 and winner after 3-6 months takes all?

It could be pretty cool too see how they grow and show color in different systems.

Who’s interested? If anyone has any ideas on how to do this better they’re all welcome. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
i'm in if my 80 and frag tank is running by then.

maybe one of our vendors help set this up for us with the frag.
vendor sets up the frags equal in size, we purchase the frag from them to participate and the winner can receive a gift card from the vendor or something.

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
i'm in if my 80 and frag tank is running by then.

maybe one of our vendors help set this up for us with the frag.
vendor sets up the frags equal in size, we purchase the frag from them to participate and the winner can receive a gift card from the vendor or something.

Great idea! I was going to offer a frag of my Zoas but I wouldn’t be able to make more than 4-5 of them. I’ll work on drafting up an email to send to a few LFS.

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner

I’m not so sure about SPS. I feel like going with a soft coral or maybe a faster growing LPS would be better, for more people would be able to keep them in their systems.

Maybe we can do an easy to keep monti or something? Those arr pretty easy to tell size differences as well.

jmags080307

SPS Grow Out Winner
I’m not so sure about SPS. I feel like going with a soft coral or maybe a faster growing LPS would be better, for more people would be able to keep them in their systems.

Maybe we can do an easy to keep monti or something? Those arr pretty easy to tell size differences as well.

Monti will be hard to measure IMO. Zoas or SPS are probably the easiest. Zoas who grows the most new heads. SPS who grows the most. Montis would be really tricky to measure. I think zoas would probably attract the most but I'm game for either. Also need to think of price. $35 or $40 for shipping, $25 for the frag and $5 or $10 towards the pool.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
I sent UC an email earlier asking if they were interested. I agree with Zoas, they’re the easiest to judge and grow the fastest too.

That being said, I have been looking for a piece of green slimer for a while now :)

As for the cost, I think if we can work out a deal with the person supplying the frags that cost should be pretty low and then maybe $5-$10 can be given to our treasurer (do we even have one?) and then handed out at the end of the contest to the winner(s?)

jmags080307

SPS Grow Out Winner
I sent UC an email earlier asking if they were interested. I agree with Zoas, they’re the easiest to judge and grow the fastest too.

That being said, I have been looking for a piece of green slimer for a while now :)

As for the cost, I think if we can work out a deal with the person supplying the frags that cost should be pretty low and then maybe $5-$10 can be given to our treasurer (do we even have one?) and then handed out at the end of the contest to the winner(s?)

Could also have the vendor hold the additional money in the form of a credit for the winner.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk