• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Frag grow out contest

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
That sounds like a great idea, the “buy in” can just be added to the frag cost and then the total can be given back as a gift card.

Much easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
@diana a I’m not sure. This is the list of people who said they’re interested so far.

Etmanning
Jmags
Rread
Erics210
Diana
Itzju
Mad reefer
Mrx
Raccioppi
Jhopiv

I would go as high as a $20 buy in for the first contest.
Maybe zoanthid's would be the easiest but we wold have to start with lets say 3 polops and have them glued on a very large frag plug so it doesn't grow off the plug for the duration of the contest.

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
I would go as high as a $20 buy in for the first contest.
Maybe zoanthid's would be the easiest but we wold have to start with lets say 3 polops and have them glued on a very large frag plug so it doesn't grow off the plug for the duration of the contest.

That’s exactly what I was thinking. Maybe a 1”X1” square frag plate with two polyps. Would be pretty cheap and easy to gauge growth.

jmags080307

SPS Grow Out Winner
That’s exactly what I was thinking. Maybe a 1”X1” square frag plate with two polyps. Would be pretty cheap and easy to gauge growth.

We should start with 1 polyp, 2 at most. 1 polyp at 20 or 25 will get is a better zoa.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I feel like zoas grow better when they are on a thick mat that’s glued to a plug Rather then the polips glued to the plug. Those always take so long to get started

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
I feel like zoas grow better when they are on a thick mat that’s glued to a plug Rather then the polips glued to the plug. Those always take so long to get started

Agreed, but to keep the entry cost low and to keep it easier to judge going with only a polyp or two would probably be best for this.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I'm game.

Here's a thought.
Why not collect everyone's entry fee, give it to Mark at Ultimate Corals, explain we want a nice coral, not too common, easy to moderate to grow, and we need X amount of frags.
His choice on the piece. Perhaps he can get the frags, of equal size, together for us, give us a general briefing on the coral and the required parameters, and maybe even preside at judging the final pics after a few months?

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
I'm game.

Here's a thought.
Why not collect everyone's entry fee, give it to Mark at Ultimate Corals, explain we want a nice coral, not too common, easy to moderate to grow, and we need X amount of frags.
His choice on the piece. Perhaps he can get the frags, of equal size, together for us, give us a general briefing on the coral and the required parameters, and maybe even preside at judging the final pics after a few months?

exactly what i was thinking. If we have him judge, then it will pull members in to possible shop

jmags080307

SPS Grow Out Winner
Would an encrusting piece, like a favia or chalice, not be better suited for this?
I think that will be a little more difficult to judge. Zoas are easy, how many new polyps. If you get into anything else it's a little more difficult. With that said, I'm game for what is collectively decided.

jmags080307

SPS Grow Out Winner
I'm game.

Here's a thought.
This should work.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Individual zoa polyps take a long time to settle in and start to grow. No feeding required. Plus they're a bit 'dirty water', 'unspecific lighting'. I've got 2 tanks full of them. Many you can just throw in and leave them be.
On the other hand, an easy sps or monti requires a bit more experimenting on placement, flow, lighting, water quality, feeding, etc. May be the slightly better challenge.