• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Holiday Party!

malulu

NJRC Member
here is a picture I took from Peter's tank ~ 2 years back!

attachment.php

Attachments

• fisheye-peter-hanging-corals.jpg
    fisheye-peter-hanging-corals.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 144

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I did a search and found a thread on it from 2006, stating:

http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/corals/lets-talk-suspension-propagation-2404/

LETS TALK SUSPENSION PROPAGATION!

This is something that I have been doing quite a bit of research on and to be honest am pretty excited to start it.

What I am talking about is suspension grow out. And by this I mean taking a coral frag and tethering it to a piece of polyester thread and hanging it from a rod and suspending it in the water.

Sounds strange doesnt it! :huh:

So ask yourself: "why should I give this a try when all I have to do is glue it to a piece of rock?"

Well the advantages of suspension fragging are beneficial.

For one you are going to get a very different growth pattern than just the upright growth of an attached frag.
It also optimizes the flow around the coral and the lighting that it recieves as a whole.
The one thing that I really like about this method is that is uses sooo much unused water in a frag tank!!!
and by optimizing this unused water you are liberating the coral from the influences of shelter and shadow from rockscape, as well as from competators.
This method gives the vunerable divisions further protection from many benthic pests and predators (worms, crabs, encroaching algae). It gives you maximum control over coral colonies from interspecific aggression as well.

I have been reading accounts of other hobbyist practicing this method of propagation. They have reported a very significant increase in the rate of growth. This is something that really caught my attention.

Some of the species that have had very good success with this method are: Pocillapora, (Seriatopora and Slylophora), Agaricids (Pavona), Galaxea, Psammocora and Hyndophora, Acroporas.

I am going to be testing this theory on several diff types of acro and Galaxea and Hyndo.

I will start a log document the rate of growth and will get lots of pics to keep you guys informed of what I find.

Those are pretty much the reasons Ken started using this method for his nurseries down in the Keys. I think it would be very interesting and helpful if you (or anyone) tried this and documented it... so if you do, please start your own thread about it so it doesn't get lost here.

PS, the wife had me out Christmas shopping last night so I didn't get a chance to upload the vids or pics from the holiday party. I'll try to get to it tonight.

Those are pretty much the reasons Ken started using this method for his nurseries down in the Keys. I think it would be very interesting and helpful if you (or anyone) tried this and documented it... so if you do, please start your own thread about it so it doesn't get lost here.

PS, the wife had me out Christmas shopping last night so I didn't get a chance to upload the vids or pics from the holiday party. I'll try to get to it tonight.

When I get finally get my tank running, I'd like to try an experiment with this idea.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
here is a picture I took from Peter's tank ~ 2 years back!

attachment.php

Peter (Fisheye) had excellent growth and a very successful tank all around! He was doing this about 5 years ago or longer!

Bob

Last edited:
I wasnt at the party unfortunately but ive seen this string method done on reef2reef a few times. I plan on doing this and I will document it for the club members. My only question is how do I attach the string to the frag securely?

Sent from my Galaxy S4

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well, I still haven't had a chance to upload the video of Ken's presentation, but here are some photos I took at the party:

Some members mingling:

IMG_0972.jpg IMG_0976.jpg IMG_0978.jpg IMG_0979.jpg

Kids having some fun with the Air Swimmer Flying Clownfish (I won it at our Frag Swap and thought it would be a good time to try it out!):

IMG_0971.jpg IMG_0975.jpg

The "Frag Lotto" tank - Special Thanks to Gary from Champion Lighting for lending us the LED light:

IMG_0973.jpg IMG_0977.jpg

The Food Spread:

IMG_0980.jpg IMG_0981.jpg IMG_0982.jpg

Ken - Accepting our Donation of $5000.00 :

IMG_0983.jpg

malulu

NJRC Member
it looks fun!!!

d*** i just realzied i have been going to every year end parties since 2004! except this one!
:(