• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Holiday Party!

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Wow! Great time tonight. I’d first like to thank George and the Board for bringing in Ken, and for making the donation to his organization. Really fits what the mission of this club is all about. It also was a pleasure hearing from Ken again. It was very clear in how he talked about re-seeding the reefs that he has a tremendous passion for what he is doing. It’s not a job for him, it’s an enjoyable, rewarding adventure. Thanks again, and everyone have a great holiday.

+1 to Paul. Had a great time and it was a great presentation. Shows how important the average guy can be. And I feel that the donation is one of the best things we could have done with the funds.

Great holiday party! The drive home 'Not so much'. Seriously good time. Lecture was awesome too. Very informative. Thanks to everybody that made it happen. Well done!

falconut

NJRC Member
Agreed, great job with this one guys. Everything was perfect, well the weather could have been better. Ken presentation was great.

Someone once said, "If you enjoy your job, you'll never have to work a day in your life." I have to believe that's Ken, a great presentation on something he's very passionate about. Thanks to the BOD for a great party, and for inviting Ken as the speaker, the donation is a truly worthy cause.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
I just want to say thank you to the board for a really nice time. Everything was spot on great lecture from Ken, good food and friends prefect holiday party!

+1 to what everyone said.

I almost cancelled at the last minute due to the weather but I'm glad I didn't. The food was great, Ken was great, and I also got to bring home some great corals. Some of these "frags" were small colonies! Thanks to everyone who made this happen.

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I would like to thank everyone for coming out for the Awesome party. Ken was just amazing speaker with more pashion than anyone I ever met in the hobby.
For the frag trade I could not believe all the colonies that members brought. It was more like colonies trade than frag trade.

Just like to say thank you to all and have a great Holiday! !!

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I would also like to thank everyone who came. I'm glad everyone arrived there safe and got home safe home as well. The weather delayed a few, but almost everyone made it. Nikki, sorry you were not feeling good and couldn't come. :(

Yes, Ken was an amazing speaker and not only was his presentation fantastic... but he was just a fun guy to talk to in general. Dan and I got to spend some time with him before the party and he is down to earth yet excited about what he's doing to help restore the oceans reefs. Before this weekend, I thought he was just doing his thing down in the Florida Keys. Well, it turns out that he's expanding all over the world! He's already established in Bonaire and Colombia and is currently working on expanding to Grand Cayman too.

I did attempt to record Ken's presentation to share with those who couldn't make the party. I had my GoPro setup on a tripod and let it rip. Unfortunately, this is a "wide angle" style lens that doesn't have any zoom function. The quality of the video that I reviewed when I got home was very bad. I believe it was due to the fact that we had the lighting dimmed for the projector/slides of his presentation. The video turned out very "grainy" and the projector screen looked like a blur of light so you can't see anything he was showing us. Not only that, but the battery died about 3/4 of the way through, so I didn't even get the whole thing. I don't think it could have gone any worse. :mad: The audio is fairly good though so I may attempt to upload them later tonight and share them here. It will give you at least a small glimpse of what we were lucky to experience.

As for the party venue, we were very happy with everything. The staff at the Hilton were friendly, helpful, and very understanding about the inclement weather situation. They worked with us on when to put out the food (not until we had everyone there)...and the meal was very good especially the surprise apple strudel that was really yummy!

Great turnout for the Frag Lotto frags/colonies. The entry corals were all great and I think everyone went home with something they really enjoyed. The picking process went flying through too which was great since we started it so late in the evening. I guess that's because everybody brought great stuff to pick from!

Anyway, my wife and I had a blast and we were really happy to see everyone. I wish everyone a happy and healthy holiday season and looking forward to next months meeting... wherever that might be.

PS, I also have some photos that I took. I'll put those up here later tonight.

I'm jealous. I WANT TO go but the Toyota Prius say NO. One of my headlight is out so I can not even leave the drive way with the weather on my tail. the snow started at 2:30pm at my area.
anyway, I would love to meet Ken in person since I visit florida yearly on our family vacation. I might be able to swing by his facility to hang out but I missed my chance.
SO JEALOUSSSSSSSSSSSS

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Olivier, we missed you there too. I was really hoping to see you since it's been so long!

If you ever down near Ken in Florida, I'm sure he'd be happy to let you visit. He's a really great guy and welcomes any conversations about his cause. And if you tell him you are with NJRC, he'll be even happier to talk to you.

We actually discussed the possibility of organizing a "road trip" for NJRC members to go down to FLA and visit Ken. He said it would be great to get the club members out on a boat and even in the water planting some corals in the nurseries. It will take some time to plan it and to figure out all the costs and other details, but I think we would get a decent turnout if given enough notice to plan.

By the way, how many of you have already setup a coral "tree" in your tanks after listening to Ken? :eagerness:

Since I don't have any turtles, manatee's, or porpoises in my system, I though I'd try the "clothes line" type. :biggrin:

Please make sure you have the proper "permits". lol!!

If I had a spare tank, I will give this a try. Seriously. But my wife will think I'm going crazy if I start tying up corals on our main tank. haha!!

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I had a blast and Ken really was excellent. It was interesting seeing him several years apart as the presentation has changed and his methods have changed. He spoke about how the SPS grew 3-4 times faster when suspended than on a frag plug. I think there will be a group buy soon for fishing line.

I had a blast and Ken really was excellent. It was interesting seeing him several years apart as the presentation has changed and his methods have changed. He spoke about how the SPS grew 3-4 times faster when suspended than on a frag plug. I think there will be a group buy soon for fishing line.

Lol... Group buy fishing line! I think I'm in on that GB.

I did a search and found a thread on it from 2006, stating:

http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/corals/lets-talk-suspension-propagation-2404/

LETS TALK SUSPENSION PROPAGATION!

This is something that I have been doing quite a bit of research on and to be honest am pretty excited to start it.

What I am talking about is suspension grow out. And by this I mean taking a coral frag and tethering it to a piece of polyester thread and hanging it from a rod and suspending it in the water.

Sounds strange doesnt it! :huh:

So ask yourself: "why should I give this a try when all I have to do is glue it to a piece of rock?"

Well the advantages of suspension fragging are beneficial.

For one you are going to get a very different growth pattern than just the upright growth of an attached frag.
It also optimizes the flow around the coral and the lighting that it recieves as a whole.
The one thing that I really like about this method is that is uses sooo much unused water in a frag tank!!!
and by optimizing this unused water you are liberating the coral from the influences of shelter and shadow from rockscape, as well as from competators.
This method gives the vunerable divisions further protection from many benthic pests and predators (worms, crabs, encroaching algae). It gives you maximum control over coral colonies from interspecific aggression as well.

I have been reading accounts of other hobbyist practicing this method of propagation. They have reported a very significant increase in the rate of growth. This is something that really caught my attention.

Some of the species that have had very good success with this method are: Pocillapora, (Seriatopora and Slylophora), Agaricids (Pavona), Galaxea, Psammocora and Hyndophora, Acroporas.

I am going to be testing this theory on several diff types of acro and Galaxea and Hyndo.

I will start a log document the rate of growth and will get lots of pics to keep you guys informed of what I find.