• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

"If you want to upgrade your tank I want you to upgrade my front porch!"

if the tank should be done around the beginning of march when do you think would be a good time to begin. taking out the rock and etching it and all that. Im still not sure I know the entire process. I haven't had a chance to read up on it yet I saved an email a few weeks ago from r2r about doing it with acid from a pool store. I also remember Jim (downbeach) explaining how to do it

I also have another question about pumps. my return pump is an Eheim 1262. it is 900gph. is this big/strong enough to be able to set up a manifold? I would like to run my reactor and have the capability to run mayb1 or 2 other things down the road.

I also have another question about pumps. my return pump is an Eheim 1262. it is 900gph. is this big/strong enough to be able to set up a manifold? I would like to run my reactor and have the capability to run mayb1 or 2 other things down the road.

My guess is no. I have that pump on my 58 with a 15g sump and it is perfect for just the return and nothing else. Great pump but by the time you run the pipe and the head pressure it slows down a little. I can't imagine using mine for anything else on my little tank let alone something bigger. Just my $.02 though.

TIME TO ETCH SOME ROCK!!!

So I just scrubbed this rock and have it soaking in a 32g brute can. Tomorrow in the morning I am going to run to Lowes and get some Muriatic Acid ad VERY carefully & OUTSIDE etch the rock.

016A6F6A-4001-454F-959A-200BDB43ACDC_zpsxqc1hrcr.jpg

List of items for etching
long thick gloves
safety goggles
acid
baking soda

I still have the rock in my 90 that will etch after I move the tank and cut all the corals

Last edited by a moderator:

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Matt, just checking on this….muriatic acid is a diluted hydrochloric acid…but still pretty strong. It is much stronger than vinegar (acetic acid). It will start to dissolve calcified rock. I’m hoping you have a recipe to do this “etching” using muriatic acid.

You are right about wearing protective gear. It will eat holes in your cloths, and by the time you realize it’s on your skin, you are already burnt. Handle with care.

The curve for that pump says about 700gph at 5' of head to the DT, average length of run from sump to DT - which translated to real conditions is about 600gph. That's a very strong power curve for a pump, now I see why these are highly regarded. So you're starting on a 140g tank with about 4X turnover, before tapping off a manifold for other components. IMO that's within the OK area and minimally sufficient. I like to do 6X in the DTs, after tapping off the manifold. If it was me I'd go to a pump that could do about 1,000gph at 5 feet.

Here's the power curve for the 1262 -

th

After I set up the new RO machine I went to flush it and noticed it leaking from between the 2 DI chambers. I took them apart and noticed this

3A548D4B-B4D1-4775-BB89-F05B2B9A4F70_zps9r0ds7qr.jpg

I called BRS and they said that it is only a 1/4" x 1/4" NPT nipple that is broken and that they would 2 day ship me a replacement. That was Monday so it should of been here Wednesday. today is Friday and it is still not here. My brother is a Mailman and told me it got lost and so it was delayed. he sent me this picture and said it just got to the local Post Office.

89C6C1DC-81DF-4786-9095-9DBA139A2651_zpswbwelcec.jpg

So close yet so far!

1 part acid for 10 parts water. Everything I read says it is easier than it sounds. In no way am I going to be lax in my safety precautions.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
1 part acid for 10 parts water. Everything I read says it is easier than it sounds. In no way am I going to be lax in my safety precautions.

Sounds like a plan.....good luck with the etching!

As far as your nipple, I had the same break on one of my units, and purchased a brass nipple at HD to hold me over until the plastic one arrived. If my feeble mind remembers, I think I purchased my plastic nipple from BRS as well.

thumb.php

Yeah they are sending me 2 of them. I looked all over the place for that darn thing. I have no patience so I was looking around to find one. nobody has them. I called every plumbing supply house around. I have a Grainger account and they had 10 packs of them for $4.20 but my local branch didn't have them. the closet location was Long Island! they said they would ship them to me and I would have them Monday. the BRS ones should be here tomorrow so my brother tells me. If not I am going to go to the post office and raise hell!

Look who wants to help me cook some rock!
12890BD1-6A97-4F87-AA15-5B6746FC90DE_zpsy8sh85kq.jpg

(I would never let him help me with this job)

He helps me with 95% of the things I do around the house. Whenever I come in the house with a bag or something he thinks I got him something.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
So a new media reactor? They are always helpful.

Really nice picture of the kid, looks like a very fun helper.

So a new media reactor? They are always helpful.

Really nice picture of the kid, looks like a very fun helper.

I got a new 6 stage ro/di unit and the little 1/4" plastic nipple that connects the last 2 di chambers was cracked. It was a big PIA because the post office lost the package and it just got here today.

Gabe is the best helper there is. He will be 3 on Groundhog's Day and I do everything with him! I have 2 older daughters than him and one younger daughter. So he is the only boy. We are way outnumbered!

All etched up!!!
8EEF3DC5-E193-4129-A443-8A7B69DAF36B_zpse6osgehx.jpg

I didn't expect it to foam so much. I used 1 gallon of acid to 10 gallons of water. I am glad I used 2 different trash cans to do it in. I let it sit for about 30 minutes and then I took them out of the buckets and put them in one larger bucket with the hose and a ph. I let it run for about an hour and just flood the can
23706112-223D-4FFD-AB85-FA25613F544A_zpsj0wcai83.jpg

Now I spread all the rock out on a tarp and put a fan on it to help it dry as much as possible.
0DFDDD1E-C5AE-4D53-9668-3EBB057CA2BC_zpsey8jq9av.jpg

Later today I will put it back into a bucket and stick it in my shed or basement till I am ready for it. I still have to etch the rock that is in my 90 but I will do that next weekend I think

I just got an email saying the stand is almost done and that it will be sent off to be powder coated soon. it should be ready to be picked up by the end of the month.

i figure once i have the stand then i will move my 90g tank to the other side of the room and skin the stand and start to set everything up and hook up the Apex and the rest of everything. this will also give me time to do a deep cleaning on my equipment. i will also then etch the last bit of rock that i have left.

I think the title of this may have to change from upgrade the front porch to upgrade the kitchen. when I was running the ro line up to under the kitchen sink I was crawling around in the craw space and found on of the floor joists completely rotted away. it looks like there was a sink leak at one point. one of our long range plans was to know down a wall and open our kitchen up. taking down the wall is out of my scope of work. so I had a contractor over yesterday to take the wall down and fix the floor. I will do all the demo and everything else like cabinetry and countertops but since the wall is load bearing I don't want to mess with it.

this is what happens when you live in a house that is almost 130 years old...

Matt new kitchen new front porch and new tank you are one lucky man any updates on the tank?

Hah! the only update on the tank is that I paid the final balance! I am waiting for the contractor to tell me how much it will cost to remove the wall and fix the joist. after we finish the kitchen we will refinish the hardwood floors. we just ripped up the carpets a few months ago because my son (Gabe) decided to take a container of Vaseline and rub it into the carpet. so when I removed the carpet I found the cool looking old hardwoods. I would assume from when the house was built. I has the neat wide hand crafted nails and wide boards. so once the kitchen is done I will do the floors