• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

"If you want to upgrade your tank I want you to upgrade my front porch!"

I was able to get a third coat of Kills on the inside of the canopy today, and i started on the stain. (I hate trying to match stain)

This is my desk that sits to the left of the tank that i am trying to get close to.
E598FBD7-1D4F-4DA7-9CE1-3ED928F18B25_zps4mees7pi.jpg

This is the canopy with one coat of stain on it
19F7AD5E-BC1F-446E-BF3A-B00A1914A083_zps1uhivjic.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I also started clipping off all of my corals today and putting them on frag plugs. I figure that it will be better to do it slowly rather than dump a gallon of super glue into the tank I one shot.

One coat of Urethane on and two or three to go!
4971C1E8-3CBE-44CB-8D1B-C706786DB250_zpskkxpwlqx.jpg

I decided to use Helmsman Spar Urethane for the finish & Golden Pecan as the stain.

Very nice work...nice shop you have too.

Thanks. The shop is the Maintenance shop at where I work. It's 5 blocks from my house so it makes things much easier. We have a full wood shop so it's very convenient. It comes in handy in the summer for lawn care. I always come and grab all our lawn equipment.

Here fishy fishy!
36DFEF79-1AFE-47B8-857B-C482BB34140B_zpsbcpmesur.jpg

Every fish in my tank entered this trap except the Six Line! GRRRRR!!!! i will leave it in the tank overnight and try again tomorrow to catch him!

Thank you Jim for lending me the fish trap!

After i got fed up with trying to catch the wrasse i went to work to mess with the canopy. i didn't really have a plan on building this. i was just going on what i didn;t like from when i built the first one. i was walking around lowes and walked past the heat registers (i wish there was a way to make a light bulb picture here)
69FBA55F-ACA0-4A95-A75C-86AC6775786A_zpszsceuhhb.jpg

i still will have to smooth out the edges but it was just the rough cut. but it was getting late and wanted to go home.

8950D221-C6C7-4D23-9839-F7061E4341F9_zps6wtenp7y.jpg

I am going to add either one or two more floor registers on the top since the lights will be hanging on the inside of the hood. i put a hinge on the one side that way it will double as a feeding door.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Here fishy fishy!
36DFEF79-1AFE-47B8-857B-C482BB34140B_zpsbcpmesur.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Every fish in my tank entered this trap except the Six Line! GRRRRR!!!! i will leave it in the tank overnight and try again tomorrow to catch him!

Thank you Jim for lending me the fish trap!
Hey I used that trap (thanks also Jim). I was trying to catch a Singapore Angel. I couldn't keep my 6-line out. It kept going in and scaring the angel out. Mine will eat anything at anytime. Don't give up. It'll happen

I have a long brass piano hinge. It is the perfect size for my canopy! Any thoughts on it being an issue? I'm thinking it won't be but what do I know.

I have a long brass piano hinge. It is the perfect size for my canopy! Any thoughts on it being an issue? I'm thinking it won't be but what do I know.

Brass is a compound of copper and zinc. Rust quickly when exposed to salt air. Bronze is a different story. Copper and tin. Basically salt water proof but you will have issues with brass. Salt air will tear it up.

Brass is a compound of copper and zinc. Rust quickly when exposed to salt air. Bronze is a different story. Copper and tin. Basically salt water proof but you will have issues with brass. Salt air will tear it up.

So stainless steel it will be

fatoldsun

NJRC Member

Zinc sucks. Anything (zucchini - autocorrected from zinc. Too funny to delete) plated rusts far too quickly with even indirect exposure to salt moisture. I know when my dad had his sailboat he kept bronze-wool instead of steel wool on the boat - kept in the water in Manahawkin Bay - and it kept indefinitely. Came in handy when the battery leads would get corroded.
I think some of the stainless stuff is a hoax. For example I bet the "pin" of a SS piano hinge would still be zinc plated steel.