• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Inherited 90

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks Sunny. I purchased these off eBay and just sent the seller an email to see if he'd be willing to change the order to the PP15 models. He has them as well for an additional $20 per. Have to wait and hear from him.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Just heard back from the eBay seller and he was willing to change to the PP15's. However, I've also read a bunch of reviews and what scares me are a fair number who are saying things like, "They died in 1 month...2 months...3 months." Seems like quite a few of these types of reviews. I'd like to get at least a year or two out of them.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Just heard back from the eBay seller and he was willing to change to the PP15's. However, I've also read a bunch of reviews and what scares me are a fair number who are saying things like, "They died in 1 month...2 months...3 months." Seems like quite a few of these types of reviews. I'd like to get at least a year or two out of them.

Paul I don't have the PP models but the older RWs. By what I am seeing they are basically same just the PPs are they newer model. My RWs been running for over a year with no issues. About every 6months I take them out, put them in a bucket of hot water and vinegar, turn them all the way up for 15mins, I then put them in a bucket of RO water and run them full power for another 15mins to clean the vinegar off. Once they are clean I put them back in the tank for another 6 months or so.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Looks like the float switch on my ATO crapped out. Heading over to Herbie's for the Merry Fragging Christmas meeting, so the fix will have to wait. Luckily I have the backup float switch that saved me from a flood. It's always something!

So I've been playing with my float switches over the past couple days. I take them off....they work....I put them back in, they crap out....I take them off, they work....I think you get it. Did this three times, but I think I've discovered the reason. The top of these switches can't get wet. I've got mine covered with a piece of tubing to protect them. In removing the switches this last time I've noticed a few drops of water in that one tubing of the switch giving me problems. I've pulled off the tubing and now drying out the switch/tubing. Here it is attached to the stand door with the tubing off the one side that was wet. Note that the switches are upside down.

Even though the switch has an O-ring were it first meets the snail guard, there in nothing between the snail guard, bracket and threaded collar holding the tubing, to protect from water entering the tubing. I'm thinking water can migrate through these seams. So what I'm going to do is use telfone tape on the threaded switch portion and put dielectic grease on the wire going into the switch. The thought is that the grease will help in keeping the wiring dry, even if moisture/water gets in there again.

If this doesn't work, what I've been avoiding is cutting out the switch and replacing it. I do have spare float switches if this is necessary.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Interesting thought @njtiger24 aquariums . I actually have shrink tubing that would fit around the threads. However, what's unknown (to me) is whether or not it would act like telfon once the tubing protector is threaded on. If that was the cause, I'd go for it. But for now I'm going to stick with wrapping the threads with telfon tape, a little di-electric grease on the wiring, and screw it back together. Thanks for the input James.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Interesting thought @njtiger24 aquariums . I actually have shrink tubing that would fit around the threads. However, what's unknown (to me) is whether or not it would act like telfon once the tubing protector is threaded on. If that was the cause, I'd go for it. But for now I'm going to stick with wrapping the threads with telfon tape, a little di-electric grease on the wiring, and screw it back together. Thanks for the input James.

Yea I'm not sure how it would act either nor if it would hold up to saltwater. Good luck and hopefully it works. I am having an issue with my float value sticking to the wall of my sump. I think I got it on there good now but lately I been finding it floating and therefore not keeping my level correct lol.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well that didn't last long. Noticed high water in the sump again....that is, the first float switch isn't working again on the ATO. Now when I go to pull it off, the tube that is supposed to keep the top of the float switch dry has about a 1/2 inch of water in it!!!

That's it...off comes the ATO again and I decide to remove the top part of the snail guard because that is a potential point of entry for water, that doesn't have a seal on it. I'm not using the guard anyway....no snails in the return section of my sump. I also decide to put in a new float switch and now include an o-ring on either side of the bracket that holds the switch. In theory the two o-rings completely seal off the entry of any water into the tubing. Hope this does it!

Here you can see the two o-riings before I screw the tube back into position.

Fingers crossed!