• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Inherited 90

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks Juan, but I don't believe I'm leaking where the tubing meets the threaded 1/2 inch rod. If you look at the picture where I show the water in the tubing, you'll see two small zip ties securing the tubing to this threaded rod. I think the water was getting in by coming up the threads.

Just to clarify, the threaded rod is threaded on the inside. The outside of the rod is smooth.

Thanks Juan, but I don't believe I'm leaking where the tubing meets the threaded 1/2 inch rod. If you look at the picture where I show the water in the tubing, you'll see two small zip ties securing the tubing to this threaded rod. I think the water was getting in by coming up the threads.

Just to clarify, the threaded rod is threaded on the inside. The outside of the rod is smooth.

Just noticed that Paul, in my case they are threaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You are too kind. Let me think about it Sunny....not sure if I need to see it or not.

I just looked up the numbers on these:

PP15 900GPH to 3400GPH [Recommended for 60 to 150 gallons]
PP8 800GPH to 2000GPH [Recommended for 30 to 60 gallons]
PP4 530GPH to 1000GPH [Recommended for 10 to 30 gallons]

I'm now leaning towards the PP8....The PP4 would most likely work, but I don't like running this things at max power. I'd prefer cranking them back, with the thought that it "saves" the pump. I also don't know if the PP4 would hold on 1/2 inch glass.

I'm not sure how they determined the recommended tank sizes, but I wouldn't hesitate putting these of any six foot tank. These would work great if they were my primary pumps, but I'm just looking to put a little more flow in dead areas of my tank.

If it would help in making a decision to purchase, I'll sell both, but the one just went in my tank tonight, so it's seen water.

horseplay

NJRC Member
The PP8 should work if you run it on the side. PP4 will be too small. If you want to add two to the back glass PP8 will be too strong. If I remember, your tank is 18" front to back and 5' long. These pumps are great but the controllers are lacking. It's hard to dial down these pumps like you would with the Vortechs so you do need to get the right sizing.

I have a dead spot in my tank but I kind of live with it. Fish stir the detritus occasionally which feeds the corals.

I have a RW8 (which is equivalent to PP8) spare you're welcome to try, for however long you want. I have the original WP25 as well the propellers are all the same. But with either iteration the Jebao pumps seem to get a little stronger.

Paul not to hijack you posting but I'd like to add more flow to my tank too, after seen Herbs tank I want to add power heads on the back wall but I have not decided if 2 PP-4 or one CP-25....or maybe the CP-25 on one side of the tank and a MP10 on the opposite side.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Juan, I've ordered a PP-8. If your interest is to add it to the back wall, see Joe's (@horseplay ) comment above....he feels the 8 would be too strong on the back wall. When it comes in, you're welcome to stop by and see how it works. @Sunny is also running an 8 (I think on the back wall) but he has a big tank front to back. One of the things I like about these pumps is that you could mount them on the back wall and then turn them 90 degrees to now shoot flow parallel to the back wall of the tank.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Mods

I think you should cleanup this thread and move all the posts under Paul's 90 gallon build? At least it will be clear that there is a powerhead for sale :D

Sunny

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
With the recent issue with one of my MP40 controllers malfunctioning, I wanted to link the post here so if and when if happens again, it will be documented in my tank build, and I'll be able to find it.

Ecotech Vortech Controller Malfunction

IMG_20170119_203109499_zpseexobzsq.jpg

On a separate note, with moving my dosing pumps, the tubing was no longer reaching the section of the sump, where I was dosing. I have BRS 1.1 ml dosing pumps and thought the tubing was simply 1/4" tubing readily available at HD. Well it's not! The best I could figure was that it measures about 7/32 OD, which calculated closest to 5.5 mm. In search for 5.5mm tubing, I found it, but it was costly, and now needed to be shipped. So instead of replacing all the tubing, I simply purchase 1/8" barbed splicers that I picked up from McMaster Carr and continued the tubing with regular old 1/4 inch tubing....both about 1/8 ID. I did use cyanoacrylate glue on the barb to make sure it stayed attached.

5372k511l.gif

Last edited:

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Powerhead Controller Bracket

I don't llike Velcro, so I make little box brackets for what otherwise would be Velcro'ed in my equipment cabinet. Making these little things is actually therapy for me.......so last night was a therapy night in the shop, while I made a bracket to hold the recently purchased Jebao PP15 Controller. I use what us to be called 1/4 inch plywood.....but now it's more like 3/16. Here it is all done and painted flat black, hanging in the equipment cabinet.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
if you need some more therapy, i need a holder made for my apex display module :watermelon:

looks great btw, looks like it was made for that controller

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I just had a great DOH! moment with my tank. I was drilling a 3 1/2 inch hole in the back wall of my canopy and trying to keep both hands on the drill, while I held the vacuum to catch the sawdust. I've used this bit a bunch of times and knew I'd get a kick once the teeth hit the wood. Well, I got the kick, and the drill was ripped from my hands, and right into the tank. I immediately unplugged the drill and then pulled it out. It appears the only loss was potentially a Dewalt drill and a candy cane larger than a softball auto-fragged into maybe 12 pieces.

I just had a great DOH! moment with my tank. I was drilling a 3 1/2 inch hole in the back wall of my canopy and trying to keep both hands on the drill, while I held the vacuum to catch the sawdust. I've used this bit a bunch of times and knew I'd get a kick once the teeth hit the wood. Well, I got the kick, and the drill was ripped from my hands, and right into the tank. I immediately unplugged the drill and then pulled it out. It appears the only loss was potentially a Dewalt drill and a candy cane larger than a softball auto-fragged into maybe 12 pieces.

Thanks God nothing happened to you Paul.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
It's funny, but not funny....it's one of those "Holy $h!t" moments where you laugh about it after

Glad your ok and that you didn't fry the tank