• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Jersey shore fish & invert collecting.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
gogol said:
Im in, but not this weekend. I dont have a cylinder, octopus and BCD. Do you guys rent/own those ?
Most of us own them but rentals are cheap.

I DID own my own equipment, but, that was some years ago ---the tank was ng and the regulator is a scuba pro 7--somewhat of an OLDER model---renting would be the way to go if your only diving once in a while----
but, who wants to dive just once in a while!!!!

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
gogol said:
Im in, but not this weekend. I dont have a cylinder, octopus and BCD. Do you guys rent/own those ?

I own all my own gear. I was thinking of checking the tides and maybe hitting the basin at L street for a quick dive. Was gonna head back to the wreck this weekend but that will have to wait.

panmanmatt said:
still in 81 feet of water. at $47 a pound I'd gladly get ya one. :D

do i get a foot rub with the cost of that lobster? LOL my neigbor down the street just got back and brought me a huge bag of mussles mmmmmmm yummy some white wine garlic oh yea the best mussles i have ever had

I WENT CRABBING 3 WEEKS AGO IN SHARK RIVER AND PULLED OUT A SEAHORSE IT IS
A FEMALE LINED SEAHORSE--hippocampus erectus family Syngnathidae--IT IS ABOUT 4 INCH. FROM HEAD TO TAIL. I WENT BACK TO TRY FOR MORE--I HAVE ROOM IN MY TANK FOR
MORE, BUT NO LUCK,I DID GET A NICE PIPERFISH.
I AM CYCLING ANOTHER TANK IN HOPE THAT I WILL FIND SOME MORE NICE SPECIMENS.
THERE WERE LOTS OF STARFISH AND HERMIT CRABS.

I found a seahorse at Shark River off or hwy 35 where the park is let me know where the best place is in Shark River is to find specimens.

I FOUND HERMIT CRABS AND PUT THEM IN MY TANK WITH MY WILD CAUGHT SEAHORSE AND PIPER FISH THEY KEEP CHANGING SHELLS I PURCHASED AT THE DOLLAR STORE-
THEY ARE SO ENTERTAINING. BUT I WOULD KEEP THEM IN A SEPARATE TANK FOR WILD CAUGHT
FISH ONLY. (I WAS TOLD BY panmanmatt THAT WILD CAUGHT FISH CAN CARRY--worms and pathogens that captive ones have little, or no, resistance to.)
I WOULD BE WEARY OF THE POSSIBILITY THAT HERMIT CRABS MIGHT CARRY SOMETHING
THAT YOU DON'T WANT IN YOU TANK.
START A RIVER TANK FOR YOUR HERMIT CRABS SO YOU WONT BE ENDANGERING YOUR LIVESTOCK.
THAT IS WHAT I DID AND SO FAR EVERYONE IS DOING GOOD.

Lose the hermit crab fast. They crawl up the the houses and latch on with there heavy claw and start eating. I lost a few before i saw that happen and tossed them.

Paul B

NJRC Member
Here is a picture of the box fish we collected a few days ago. It is in my un lit, un filtered Long Island Sound tank which has raw NSW in it which is kind of green. I took the picture through a jewelers loupe but the fish never stops and is only a half inch long, the glass is also filthy. It is just an experimental tank so I don't go crazy on it.

Collecting007.jpg