• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Jersey shore fish & invert collecting.

malulu

NJRC Member
you guys made this coversation so exciting...
where do i sign up for this trip on 26th?

what to bring - for first timer?
thx

malulu said:
you guys made this coversation so exciting...
where do i sign up for this trip on 26th?

what to bring - for first timer?
thx
no signing up , i guess just meet there--
time wise i'm not sure yet---will have to check the tide tables to see for sure---you gota go during low tide, this way there's a place to land the seining net

dave---if your setting up a natural salt water tank and collecting that day:
bucket for sand, shovel, buckets to transport fish back home, extra clothes, towels, food, water/soda
etc. etc. etc
if your going to help/observe, enjoy the view, enjoy watching others make fools of themselves ;D collecting fish::
bring yourself and anything else you might need for you or your family ;D

i'm sure there's places to eat--i have'nt been there in some time tho--thats why i always bring my food and drink
its not going to be an all day thing---just enough time to land the net, collect and then you'll wanna leave to get home with the fish

I have a giant seine net I live 2 minutes from there we could collect the tropicals and any bait fish I would take for fishing let me know I AM IN also I have a couple other places we could go all depending on the tide(same river) John

bovsbaitboxes said:
I have a giant seine net I live 2 minutes from there we could collect the tropicals and any bait fish I would take for fishing let me know I AM IN also I have a couple other places we could go all depending on the tide(same river) John
you live in belmar---man, thats really cool---my mom grew up in belmar---
i hate people who live sssooooooooooooo close.... ;D only kidding----i really wish i lived that close---i'd have many natural tanks set up---you are a lucky guy--
would be great to have someone take us to the 'secret spots'.
what size net do you have?---mines a 35 footer--but i'll be taking it out this weekend to make sure its not dry rotted---it has'nt been used in many , many years!!!!
will be fun--but, like you said--it all depends on the tides

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
JohnS_323 said:
We've done a few dives at the Belmar Basin. It's a good area to seine and dive for tropicals. It's definitely a fun way to spend a day. Plus there's Windmill right across the street with killer Chili Dogs!

Hmmm . . . I'll have to see if we're free on the 26th and tag along.

And we need to do this again. Along with a few other dives. I've already got 2 dives in at McMuddy Park this year. Did 3 dives in Fl 2 weeks ago where I did manage to get a few tropicals. And I am diving aboard the Dina Dee II this Sunday on the Dobilas wreck.

I think we should do a club dive in Shark River inlet. I did that dive 4 times last year and it was amazing.

I will also tell you that anyone looking to get any tropicals on the 26th, don't get your hopes up. July is still early for tropicals up this way. August and September are best for that.

bovsbaitboxes said:

1 question--you have any killie traps?--i have one, somewhere in the garage--i used it to collect fish in the low tide pools, not in the bay, but in this drainage ditch that ran into a small stream---alls i remember is this ditch had this big cement pipe that would empty in to the stream, and during low tide i would drop the killie trap in and wait a half hour, then pull it up with loads of fish in it--killies, stickleback, spering, shrimp---man that was cool

panmanmatt said:
I will also tell you that anyone looking to get any tropicals on the 26th, don't get your hopes up. July is still early for tropicals up this way. August and September are best for that.

myself, i'm just looking to get sand, water, some fish, hermits, shrimp--nothing tropical just yet--that surely would come later, like you said, and by then, my tank will be running good
panmanmatt said:
As for checking the tides, I use http://www.saltwatertides.com/dynamic.dir/newjerseysites.html#date.

To get the tides for the Basin at L street (McCleary park) select the Shark River fixed RR bridge.

thanks for that info--will save it

malulu

NJRC Member
Steve,

beside all these:

hurtback said:
bucket for sand, shovel, buckets to transport fish back home, extra clothes, towels, food, water/soda... etc. etc. etc

what else? i don't have any net, nor killie traps...etc. ??? ::)

panmanmatt or bovsbaitboxes

refresh my older memory---is it better to sein at low tide, when tides going out, or when tide is first coming in?

malulu said:
Steve,

beside all these:

hurtback said:
bucket for sand, shovel, buckets to transport fish back home, extra clothes, towels, food, water/soda... etc. etc. etc

what else? i don't have any net, nor killie traps...etc. ??? ::)

hey dave--dont worry bout the net or killie traps---usually there's enought fish in the net or killie trap to ' go round '

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
hurtback said:
panmanmatt or bovsbaitboxes

refresh my older memory---is it better to sein at low tide, when tides going out, or when tide is first coming in?

We have always dove and seined on the incoming tide. Even at high tide there is enough beach to pull the net up onto.

Plus at the basin, there is a rope that marks off the edge of the beach area, if you cross the rope you should have a dive flag with you. High tide will give you more water to cover with the seine between the beach and the rope.

panmanmatt said:
We have always dove and seined on the incoming tide. Even at high tide there is enough beach to pull the net up onto.

Plus at the basin, there is a rope that marks off the edge of the beach area, if you cross the rope you should have a dive flag with you. High tide will give you more water to cover with the seine between the beach and the rope.

Day High Tide Height Sunrise Moon Time % Moon
/Low Time Feet Sunset Visible

Su 26 Low 5:43 AM -0.4 5:49 AM Rise 11:16 AM 19
26 High 11:57 AM 5.2 8:16 PM Set 10:41 PM
26 Low 6:07 PM

so then july 26 should be fine--as far as high tide time is concerned? with high tide being in at 11:57am--which means from 6:43am on the tide is coming back in

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
This has officialy become my favorite thread! I have already taken the day off from work and am so in it's not even funny! This brings back memories off being a kid back in Brasil!!! Do I need to bring a net? Buckets etc I got! I will most definelty bring my camera! There is guaranteed funny pictures to be had!

Rod

Nice! You guys sound like you know what to plan so pick a time and a place. I propose to meet in advance, somewhere with food, to discuss where to go and what to do...(Im a total noob). Are their bait shops nearby that sell traps and cast nets? I so have to get SCUBA certified, I say I am all the time and dont get aroung to doing it.
whats the head count so far.

I'm in!

Uncko Macko said:
Nice! You guys sound like you know what to plan so pick a time and a place. I propose to meet in advance, somewhere with food, to discuss where to go and what to do...(Im a total noob). Are their bait shops nearby that sell traps and cast nets? I so have to get SCUBA certified, I say I am all the time and dont get aroung to doing it.
whats the head count so far.

I'm in!
head count right now is ' a bunch ' lol
not sure where to meet yet---
no need for you to get nets or traps unless you 'll be setting up a natural salt water tank---there's some that are coming down just ' to watch ' ;D and help ;D---i'm thinking of going down this coming weekend to collect my sand and water and get it into the tank--and to check out the area--( i have'nt been to belmar in a ' few ' years )this way i'll only have to worry bout collecting and then once thats done, heading for home with ' my prizes '!!!

just keep watching this thread---there'll be alot more info coming..........
sea ya later ;D

I just set up a small tank for some saltwater feeder grass shrimp, crab, snails, silversides...anything that is small enough for my beasts to eat. I have plans to set up a display tank for local finds but I think I'll wait. 6 months ago I didnt have any, now I have 3. Keep me posted. Ill be their.