• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Jersey shore fish & invert collecting.

here's the tides for sunday---i'm planning on trying to get there around 9-10 ish...earlier if i can--this way i can collect the water/sand before any fish collecting
i usually go to the side where the houses are---opposite from the party boats---again, i don't know the names of the streets or exactly what it looks like---been years since i was there---i drive a grey hummer with black rims---and will be collecting water/sand and fish---so, if your around, stop
once the collecting is over---i'm on the way home to get my ' prizes' into the tank as soon as possible

Tides for Shark River Island, fixed RR. bridge starting with July 26, 2009.
Day High Tide Height Sunrise Moon Time % Moon
/Low Time Feet Sunset Visible

Su 26 Low 5:43 AM -0.4 5:49 AM Rise 11:16 AM 19
26 High 11:57 AM 5.2 8:16 PM Set 10:41 PM
26 Low 6:07 PM 0.2

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Could we possibly get a name of a road...by going to mapquest or some other mapping program. I'm not sure if you are on the Belmar side or Avon side of the inlet. The one area I know of where we could possibly meet is Maclearic Park, right off of Rt 35 as you are coming into Belmar (from route 18/195). It is right next to a Marina that is right next to the inlet that exits the Shark River basin. If you come to the Marina (on your left), you have gone too far. Now if you are driving south on 35, you pass over the inlet, pass the Marina, and the park is on your right. There is a parking lot there (or at least there use to be one there when I use to sail in the shark river).

Still have my Seine net 50ft.
off that beach are floating docks by the small sailboats, good chance that attached under the floats should be northern coral colony's.

ok----Maclearic Park--thats a good spot---i know where that is---
time? i still wanna get there early myself to collect water and sand before i collect any fish ( probably tween 8-9)
here's my cell 732-718-3656 grey hummer with black rims i'm steve

thanks---just keep checking this thread----i'll/we'll post afterwards...
this hopefully wont be the ONLY time----another member said something about tropicals later in the summer...so, there will be other trips.......
so between now and the next time, get a tank ready, take a ride down to collect sand and water so when the next time comes around, alls your be doin is collecting fish!!!!

sea ya.........

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Just got back from a collection trip today.

Here's what we managed to find:
Vizcaya002.jpg

Vizcaya001.jpg

this looks awesome. i am EXTREMELY interested in doing this before summer ends. anyone else that's interested please let me know. nj reefers collection meet?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
panmanmatt said:

I don't know...they look a little small to me....the new regulation is 5 1/4 inches....I'll have to taste them to make sure...with butter, of course. ;D

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
redfishbluefish said:
panmanmatt said:

I don't know...they look a little small to me....the new regulation is 5 1/4 inches....I'll have to taste them to make sure...with butter, of course. ;D

Actually the new regulation is a minimum of 3 3/8" and max of 5 1/4" carapace length. These guys fell in that slot perfectly. And tasted fantastic, without butter.

sorry if i sound stupid but when you guys go to these locations. how are you catching them? i saw one person saying seine net 50ft. so your just throwing your net down hoping your going to catch something?

extremely interested and don't want to get disappointed going down there not properly prepared to catch anything of significance!

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Those lobsters I got today came from a wreck in 81 feet of water, not from the place in Belmar.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Not high at all considering it cost $95 to get on the dive boat. Divide that by a 2 pound lobster and it comes out to $47.50/pound so he's actually getting a break.