• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Jersey shore fish & invert collecting.

I always go at high tide belmar beach is good so is the 2 beaches on the other side(neptune city beach and shark river hill beach) shark river hill beach has alot of reed grass where juvi fish hide I grew up on the shark river side a block from the water and always seined and put out killie traps there and got some good trops seahorses pipefish ect like said in the earlier post that july is a little early will have to do it again in aug and sept to get some real cool thing let me know where you guys want to meet I may put out 6 or 7 killie pots the night before so when the tide comes up and you guys get here there will be something to start going though see ya John

My friend and I just got back from the 7 bridges area in tuckerton with our kids found tons of snails algae are these safe to put in our tanks?

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Just saw this thread and was thinking about catching some critters for my tank at the shore as well. However, I'll be on the southern tip of the Jersey shore (Wildwood) for a week starting Sunday the 26th.

If anyone will be down in that area and wants to do something similar any day that week, let me know.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hey, is this going to happen. If so, where are you meeting...and what time. My wife and I would like to tag along to help collect and see what's swimming around.

My LFS collects stuff all the time and sells them. I mostly see crabs and shrimp (ghost) and some other type. I doubt that it's legal, but no one has ever questioned them. They are real quiet about it. One of the employee's slipped and mentioned that they had been told to go down to the hook and catch some things.

I'm guessing that they just dredge with a fine net.

To be honest though, nothing is really nice looking. As a kid I grew up in Lafayette(near seaside) and Belmar (lived here) and we always found stuff in the jetties. Starfish, crabs, jellyfish, small fish, sand crabs, clams, mussels, etc. But, again not really anything I would want in my tank for show. A fiddler crab might be kinda cool, that is until he starts picking things off.

What are you guys actually catching that would go in your DT? and.. let me first say that Paul B shouldn't answer this since he has already shown that he likes local fauna.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Later on when the Gulf stream comes in, theres a few good looking fish. Butterflies, lookdowns, seahorses, and a few others.

Im interested in mostly crabs, silversides and other small feeders. Although if I wasnt going to bring anything home, I would still go. This is going to be interesting.

I'm free Sunday and in the area, let me know if this happens I'd tag along with my daughter, she'd love it.

Not that we went looking for anything, but last year just after a big storm, we were on the beach and I noticed a bird heading towards something very small that was moving a little. Ran over to check it out and was amazed to see a baby sea turtle!!! It was so cool to find, especially since she was right there with me, needless to say though, she through a nice tantrum when we had to put it back in the surf, but still, coolest find I've ever had.

Im going. Stay tuned to this thread. Hopefully someone will pick a time and place. I am not familiar with the area at all. Someone said they would bring nets and traps. if not Im sure there is a baitshop close by. I say...meet for brunch or lunch somewhere, discuss where to go

i am planning on going, i usually end up on the opposite side of where the fishing boats are docked---not sure of any street names--its been awhile ( few years) since i've been there---
i'll be setting up a 55 tank- for what ever i collect---i'm not adding anything to the tanks i have running now---i wanna set up a ' natural' salt water tank--so hermits, mussels, crabs, killies, stickleback, starfish---whatever---doesnt matter---but, i'll only take small--nothing large---
time to meet---not sure yet---depends on the tide---keep watch on this thread---will post tomorrow once i have a chance and time to look things over---
will be interesting---i first started in saltwater when i was in junior high school---set up a salt water tank for a science fair, at the school, so being able to ' do it again' will surely be fun

There is, or was, a lot of life at the little swimming area they built years ago (15-20 now). It's about a block from Briarwood, but even better used to be more towards the gas station and 16th avenue during really low or just low tide. We used to put on clamming boots and rake up clams and all types of stuff. If it was a really low tide you could walk about 15-30 feet into shark river and I'm sure that would be a good spot. There used to be steps to walk down that covered up during high tide.

I would start a "natural" tank, but I think my wife would kill me for another small tank. Plus, the only unused tank is a 20g and that's probably pretty small. I could dredge up some salt water from the raritan bay (<2 minutes away), but the water would probably be to polluted to see anything.

MikeM - since you live super close to the bay have you tried setting up a tank with water from there? Ever try catching anything there with the kids?