• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Jgraz's Finally a Proper Tank 90 Upgrade

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Ah that stinks John, I agree with the QT I know it stinks to have to set up but in the end it is worth it. I have a wrasse and an angel in QT now for 3 weeks going on 4. I QT every fish I buy. Just to dangerous not to.

Thanks everyone. Gonna try again. I have only QT two fish in my 3 years in this hobby. Both died in QT. I'm going to be placing a nice size fish order soon and a friend is going to QT for full treatment. We shall see how things go.

Update time.

Well at the end of October I switched to LEDs. So far so good on that front. All the growth seems great and I'm thinking in gonna stick with them. Colors have also gotten a little deeper as opposed to a slightly pastel look I was dealing with before, however, that could be both a combo of the switch in lighting and a second change I made.

At the same time I changed the lights I also pulled the bio-pellets. To aid in the switch I upped my WC's also and obviously went back to the refugium. The day I pulled the pellets I did a 10gal WC and did it again a few days later. Then I started doing 5gal changes roughly every other day. I'm def liking the results. Since I started this I've seen a huge increase in growth and have seen some of my colonies put on up to an inch worth of growth during this time. Frags that I've made during this time heal and grow over the breaks in only a couple of days. I chose to do the 5gal changes cause mainly it takes me about 5min or so to pull it off. So I'm gonna stick with it. My tank will never see pellets again.

Additions:
Mystery wrasse that hides all day. I usually only see it in the morning before the other fish come out.
Purple Firefish. Again a hider but he will pop out during feeding time.
Royal gramma. Comes out but stays close to his hole. Little though I expect to see it more and more.

Losses:
JF jokers wild chalice(literally gone overnight)
Also a large colony of some type of cysphestrea(sp). I think it was meteor shower. Not sure why I lost either one.

I've also been feeding my new addiction for Z's & P's and have come across some real gems lately. This particular addiction has not been kind to my wallet. I just wish I could pull the pics good but that will come with a new camera which is in the works. My newest additions include darth mauls, tyree space monsters, time machines, sopranos 2.0, nuclear sunsets, flaming Mohicans, bowsers, hallucinations, GB emperor, joes rainbow kazoo, electric Oompa Loompa, JF bloodshots, and ktar g-hornet. I think that's it, that's enough for now.

Here are a few pics for your enjoyment.
9A64AC03-5E73-4582-BBA2-5D2007EFFE30_zps1vix1wrh.jpg

AE579802-B8AB-4780-87B2-243E66530D62_zpswex38g1o.jpg

4E27CC95-B6D0-4D87-9FB9-80285D0BC4D1_zpsywdrztcm.jpg

86D7BDD4-5D1A-439E-8A98-E5D4F58F147F_zps8edpvmcn.jpg

D910A0BC-C235-4786-95DC-28B055B0E5AB_zpsxziyvxwy.jpg

B104DD60-2E8B-4B1A-998C-95D9E6B11E82_zpsejpgfilp.jpg

DSCN1242_zps18b85d1f.jpg

DSCN1241_zps495d7ab7.jpg

DSCN1240_zps52749854.jpg

DSCN1239_zpsa8cbb1eb.jpg

And finally a new FTS
5934DA4E-8424-467A-85E2-373BF9243892_zps0lts2v9e.jpg

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
those zoa names are sweet sweet music to my ears! Dance awesome collections there John!

I call dibs on a bloodshot frag! Haha tank looks great John. I've opted to do 5g WC also on my 90 mainly bc its quick like you said. Keep up the good work man.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Tank looks awesome john. Impressive list of Z and P. I have found myself getting back into them as well.

Thanks everyone. I wish I could do my zoa collection justice. Unfortunatly the iphone is not much of a camers and my point and shoot isn't much better. My Bro in law has a DSLR but no macro lens but maybe I'll borrow it one day and see what I can come up with.

Dan i'll get you on the list for a bloodshot when they grow out. As far as the WC's go in the last month and a half I've changed more water then I did in the year leading up to it. I really feel that the more hands on I get with the reef the better it looks. With the bio-pellets I think I became very lax with it, thinking that the pellets would allow me to skip a change here and there.

As for the next few months go I'm gonna be doing a lot of fragging to get set for the CT Frag Farmers Market. Me and a friend of mine decided to get a table so I'm quite excited to give selling on a larger scale a shot. Hoping that it will put me closer to an upgrade.

Thanks john! An upgrade would be awesome for sure. Wish my gf would allow one Lol 90 will have to do for now. And yes, hands on does equal a better reef. I just spent an hour trying to figure out why my reactor wasn't working. Went out and bought a new pump and still nothing. Figured out the inside chamber was clogged :/ gotta buy a new shell Lol so frustrating but so rewarding at the same time lol

Looking good John good looking pics and glad too see all those zoAs are doing very well in your system :) I'm. Sure you'll be hitting me up for the creme of the crop next yr a lil krak perhaps :D

Looking good John good looking pics and glad too see all those zoAs are doing very well in your system :) I'm. Sure you'll be hitting me up for the creme of the crop next yr a lil krak perhaps :D

Perhaps though that pack you just posted is almost all stuff I don't have.

FB50DA31-FC28-4133-BDC8-C52A80F5D374_zpsjpdtvwfg.jpg

The bane of my reefing existence. Been pulling this many or more out almost nightly for more then the past week. The white/tan ones I can deal with but the little blue/grey F's I find wrapped around Z's & P's. Not the cheap ones either. So far I've lost all my soul snatchers, and clementines, and space monsters are about half of the original colonies. I ended up moving a bunch of my high end collection to a friends tank till I can figure this out.