• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Jgraz's Finally a Proper Tank 90 Upgrade

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
FB50DA31-FC28-4133-BDC8-C52A80F5D374_zpsjpdtvwfg.jpg

The bane of my reefing existence. Been pulling this many or more out almost nightly for more then the past week. The white/tan ones I can deal with but the little blue/grey F's I find wrapped around Z's & P's. Not the cheap ones either. So far I've lost all my soul snatchers, and clementines, and space monsters are about half of the original colonies. I ended up moving a bunch of my high end collection to a friends tank till I can figure this out.

harelequin shrimps. problem solved.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Ahh, yeah the wrasses might be a problem.

However, the harelequins will solve your asternia problem quickly. I have a pair and they cleaned house on my frag tank and display. Now I have to feed them full blown stars haha.

My wrasses never went near my Harley's
Just make sure you have access to chocolate chip stars cause they will clear that tank of the Astraea in a flash

My wrasses never went near my Harley's
Just make sure you have access to chocolate chip stars cause they will clear that tank of the Astraea in a flash

That's good to know on the wrasses cause one of them is the melanrus I got from you. Lol
Yeah I figure I'll pick up a couple CC's at the same time. While I can't stand to buy livestock at Hidden reef they always seem to have then in stock. I read where people also cut them up and freeze the legs to feed out from time to time. Or I'll just house them in the sump.

I've read to do that too. I just read something that suggested that the shrimp may actually feed the star to keep it alive thus prolonging the agony. Though that seems to be in the wild.

One question though is there anything remaining of the star that had to be removed when they are done?

When i had mine. I never found any remains of the CCS. But i had to keep an eye on them when i started feeding CCS. if they did not eat it all or hold it captive. The CCS would have free reign in the tank until they were hungry again.

Does anyone ever feel bad about doing that? I was going to get some my self it just feels wrong to me :)

Eh, I'd imagine a scale of ethical to not, this lies somewhere around boiling inverts. It probably knows that it's an undesirable situation that it's in, but doesn't really comprehend the danger and certainly wouldn't feel the panic and fear that a more intelligent animal might.

That being said, you can always cut a leg off the star and feed them just the leg. Cheaper that way too since you get to leave the starfish in the sump or another tank while it regenerates another leg for you to feed the shrimp with instead of having to buy new ones all the time.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Don't feel bad it's just the natural way. You don't feel bad feeding your fish chopped up clam or shrimp someone had to kill them I don't see a difference. It's all good :)

Frankly I'd have no problem tossing it in. But will probably just do a leg at a time just in case it roams. Thanks everyone for the input. The shrimp and CC stars are now on the top of the to do list.