• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Jimroth's Big Ol' Tank

eca2af81fcf20ad32b44fd756a6d3144.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Like the two island look. Nice cave and placement branches. Always wanted branches but Tropiquarum was always out of them

Picked up Fire 7 tablet for $30 during Prime Day, and turned it into an Apex control panel following Neptune's instructions (by Terrence). I have the regular little control panel near the sump in the garage, which I like, but this will let me put a full control panel by the display for monitoring etc.

I have to have a fairly big cave in my aquascape. IME the fish need to get out of the bright lights, and it seems to de-stress them a little. Always a popular hangout.

Saw Alex at Ocean Image for some tank sludge. He convinced me to do a fishless cycle whatever that is, and dump some ammonia in the tank. I hate the damn 21st century. Time to dig out those test kits.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Saw Alex at Ocean Image for some tank sludge. He convinced me to do a fishless cycle whatever that is, and dump some ammonia in the tank. I hate the damn 21st century. Time to dig out those test kits.

“Ghost Feeding “ maybe? Just feeding the empty tank, allowing it to breakdown n decompose, starting the cycle......??

I also worked with Alex when I started my new tank. I used pure ammonia as he recommended. Once it cycled, I added fish and coral. No issues.

Moving along with the cycle. Skimmer is pulling a fair amount of crud. Dumped in some Shop-Rite plain ammonia today, not sure if that was a good idea. It sure raised the pH! Going to do a test soon.

Moving along with the cycle. Skimmer is pulling a fair amount of crud. Dumped in some Shop-Rite plain ammonia today, not sure if that was a good idea. It sure raised the pH! Going to do a test soon.
I used Shop-rite brand pure ammonia as well. I wouldn’t worry about testing anything but ammonia and nitrite for now. Once the cycle is complete the other parameters should fall in range. If not, a simple water change will help bring it them line. I didn’t even have do a water change though.

Cycling continues in the tank. Skimmer is skimming, and (hooray?) brown cyano has started to grow. I added some substrate from an established reef, along with a couple of coralline-covered rocks I hope will get the pink and purple stuff going. Still lots to fix up and do. I think I'm doing a refugium early on, just to grow some chaeto. Plus, new toys, I bought the Radion multi-light mounting system. I'm a little pissed that the clamps don't work with my 3" eurobracing, but Ecotech assures me the setup will be stable without the clamps.

Here's the tank with thew new Radion Mounting System in place. I liked the "floating" arrangement of my old homemade rack, but that was made for big Luminarc reflectors and metal halides. This makes it easy to move the lights around, and routes the wires to the side.

I added my first fish, kind of as a test and I couldn't wait any longer. He's an Ocellaris clown, I call him Mark Watney. He's been eating and hasn't died, so there's nothing mysteriously toxic in the tank.

My new sump lacks the baffles I used to have to catch microbubbles, so I took a shot at making a rock tower for the skimmer output to flow into. It wasn't big enough (3" pipe) , so I need to make one out of some larger pipe, like 4-5" or a little bucket or something..

radiata

NJRC Member
I added my first fish, kind of as a test and I couldn't wait any longer. He's an Ocellaris clown, I call him Mark Watney. He's been eating and hasn't died, so there's nothing mysteriously toxic in the tank.

What fauna are you going to use to test for invertebrate toxicity?