• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Juano's 75 Gallons "The Re-Build"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
hey Juan...i am walking distance from Elizabeth....give me a shout if you need a hand with something....i am no expert but i'd be more that happy to lend a hand

Wow. Well done. Good luck with the fish. I hope they make it. The new rocks might set off a diatom bloom. Just blow the diatoms off the base of the corals every few days. The should disappear in a month or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. Well done. Good luck with the fish. I hope they make it. The new rocks might set off a diatom bloom. Just blow the diatoms off the base of the corals every few days. The should disappear in a month or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok, thanks for the. Heads up.

Sent from my LGLS751 using Tapatalk

I spent some time today attaching frags to the rocks, I can't believe my sand bed is clean from frags, let's see for how long, lol.
uploadfromtaptalk1451527311529.jpg

The newly cleaned tank looks great. I'm in the same battle as you, algae just keeps growing. I just keep reminding myself, patience is key, your tank (as mine) is still new and will need to run it's course. It's hard when you lose fish, but I think the stress from the cleaning doesn't help.

The newly cleaned tank looks great. I'm in the same battle as you, algae just keeps growing. I just keep reminding myself, patience is key, your tank (as mine) is still new and will need to run it's course. It's hard when you lose fish, but I think the stress from the cleaning doesn't help.
Michael I highly recommend scrubbing the rocks, here are some pics of how my tank looks today.
uploadfromtaptalk1452185823023.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1452185884730.jpguploadfromtaptalk1452185928373.jpg

Last edited:
I helped Juan. Get a bucket of TANK WATER. The rock is live so clean it in its own water. Remove each rock one by one and use a stiff brush to clean it in the bucket. The stiffer the brush the better. Make sure its not too large so you get into the nooks and crannies. Just go nuts, really scrub the rock clean. Place the rock back into the aquarium algea side down so the remaining algae will die from light starvation. Obviously throw that water away when you're done.

Juan the tank looks really good!! It's gonna look bananas once those SPS grow in.

What process did you guys use to scrub the rock?
What type of brush did you guys use?

I helped Juan. Get a bucket of TANK WATER. The rock is live so clean it in its own water. Remove each rock one by one and use a stiff brush to clean it in the bucket. The stiffer the brush the better. Make sure its not too large so you get into the nooks and crannies. Just go nuts, really scrub the rock clean. Place the rock back into the aquarium algea side down so the remaining algae will die from light starvation. Obviously throw that water away when you're done.

Juan the tank looks really good!! It's gonna look bananas once those SPS grow in.
Jose that was exactly what we did.

horseplay

NJRC Member
Juan - I really like the rock work. Very natural with some nice caves.

On the other hand, are you doing anything different to address nutrient export this time? If not the algae will grow right back.

Juan - I really like the rock work. Very natural with some nice caves.

On the other hand, are you doing anything different to address nutrient export this time? If not the algae will grow right back.
Thanks Joe, Rushil did a very good job both cleaning and rock work.
I started Vodka dosing a week before we did the rocks and it seems to be working for me.

I installed the T5 retrofit and I'm very happy with it, I'm using 2 ATI Blue+ bulbs, corals shows better coloration.
I also switched from 2 parts dosing to Kalk in my top off water.
Here are some crappy pics from my cellphone.
uploadfromtaptalk1458932848208.jpguploadfromtaptalk1458932866866.jpguploadfromtaptalk1458932881907.jpguploadfromtaptalk1458932898019.jpguploadfromtaptalk1458932936774.jpguploadfromtaptalk1458932953234.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.