• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Juano's 75 Gallons "The Re-Build"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would replace the tank asap, small leaks are often followed by a seam failure which would empty the tank. 75 gallon can cause a lot of damage to your house. Sorry for the bad news! Where are you located. If close I would lend a hand

I agree get a new 75. Not worth potential disaster. My schedule is pretty crazy this week, otherwise I would help out.
So it's just what I thought bad news....
I can not afford to buy a new tank at this moment......sometimes I feel this hobby is not for me due to the spences.......

Your other option is to get a temp holding tank. Drain the 75, pull off the silicone on affected or suspected sides, reseal with new tank silicone, cure 48 hours and refill back. This is the cheapest and only requires your time. I have an empty 40 breeder you can use to temp house corals. Use a brute to save water, only issue is your sand bed, may take 1-2 days to settle.

I once had a situation where I had some salt creep collect on the upper corner of my tank that was hidden by my canopy. The salt creep was acting like a wick and the water was slowly running down the outside corner of the tank, collecting along that seam. So, check for salt creep along the top of your tank at the corners.

Your other option is to get a temp holding tank. Drain the 75, pull off the silicone on affected or suspected sides, reseal with new tank silicone, cure 48 hours and refill back. This is the cheapest and only requires your time. I have an empty 40 breeder you can use to temp house corals. Use a brute to save water, only issue is your sand bed, may take 1-2 days to settle.
The issue with this is water often collects where the leak is not. So finding the bad spot might take multiple attempts.

I think for now this is my best option, I did it to my previous non-reef ready tank, thanks a lot for the offer Pete I'll let you know if I decide to use your 40B.
I once had a situation where I had some salt creep collect on the upper corner of my tank that was hidden by my canopy. The salt creep was acting like a wick and the water was slowly running down the outside corner of the tank, collecting along that seam. So, check for salt creep along the top of your tank at the corners.
Jim that was my first thought that maybe the wave created by the power heads was causing a bit of water spilled but I inspected all around the tank and there is salt in the back of the tank too but less acumulation compare to the side.
The issue with this is water often collects where the leak is not. So finding the bad spot might take multiple attempts.
Thanks for your offering too, I will definitely remove all the silicone, I re-did the sides silicone before I set it up now I realize it was not a good idea to re-do the whole tank.
Thanks everyone for your advice.

Well not much to update......I've been very busy with family health problem, mom and dad have been in and out of the hospital many times already so I'm way behind on the tank regular maintenance up to the point that I've lost some frags and corals but I was able to give most of the SPS to some friends before they died too.
Thanks God now that my parents are more stables I'm going to down size to a 40B temporary until I can figure out what to do with my leaking 75gal.......maybe this is a good opportunity to upgrade to 90gal.

Thanks a lot again to everyone who has offered help in one way or another.

To be continued........

Today's the day for switching my tank, I installed the glass-hole overflow and what a huge difference compare to a reef ready overflow.
uploadfromtaptalk1432642678971.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.