• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Juano's 75 Gallons "The Re-Build"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tank is going from bad to worse, bryopsis is not giving up yet...I started dosing Tech-M like a week and half ago and the algae seems to be dying very slow....I've noticed the fish scratching two days ago and today every fish has white spots, that means an Ich outbreak.......I just feel like braking down the tank and take a break for a while..........

Sent from my LGLS751 using Tapatalk

that sucks man.
i wouldnt break down though... youll miss it too much, and the rebuild will set you back.
can you set up a hospital tank to treat the fish in? that way you can lower the salinity, dose copper, all that good stuff.

that sucks man.
i wouldnt break down though... youll miss it too much, and the rebuild will set you back.
can you set up a hospital tank to treat the fish in? that way you can lower the salinity, dose copper, all that good stuff.
I'll set up a hospital tank tomorrow and I will continue the battler.....starting next week I'll be on home vacation for 10 days I'll spend some time on my tank......

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Juan,
Had a bad bryopsis outbreak last year. Did the whole manual cleaning and it came back. Basically I did the same as you've done of manually cleaning all the rock (dipping and spraying with hydrogen peroxide, heavily, when possible), did a vacuum of the upper sand layers, ran GFO, vodka dosed, Tech M dosed, and hydrogen peroxide dosed, combined this with 3 day blackout, 2 day light, 3 day blackout, and cut back pre-prepared food, just fed tiny amounts of sliced clam and scallops. Took about 3-4 weeks but got it under control. Continued vodka and peroxide dosing over next 3 months and things were back to good. There were about 50 times I wanted drain the friggin tank and give away the fish but in the end it all worked out. I now feed exclusively with home made food and a home made mix of phyto/pods and all is good. A lot of commercial stuff is full of phosphates, even before it decays in the tank. If you can, make and/or grow your own. Just my thoughts. Good luck.
Mark

oh, and idk if you tried this for your bryopsis. i have a tuft show up in my tank every now and then, usually if i overfed for a week or something else raises my nutrients. i turn off the pumps, and with a syringe spot dose the tuft with H2O2. i mix in some MgCl2 first, to make it dense enough to sink (otherwise it just floats straight up, being lighter than seawater). you could use any salt really, but since my tank is lowish on Mg anyway i use that. wait til the bubbling stops, and then turn the pumps back on. i do a max of 6mL a day in my tank which i guesstimate at 25gal total water volume. the algae dies after 1 treatment, maybe 2 if you miss a spot. you could do the same thing by dosing the techM you would normally add directly onto the algae, at least temporarily concentrating it on the bryo.
the only thing is be careful that it doesnt sink down onto a nearby coral. the H2O2 wont kill it if you blow it off within a min (never tried longer), but it will royally piss it off, and it will brown out and sulk for a while - at least thats how it worked with my rr nauti spiral monti.

Juan,
Had a bad bryopsis outbreak last year. Did the whole manual cleaning and it came back. Basically I did the same as you've done of manually cleaning all the rock (dipping and spraying with hydrogen peroxide, heavily, when possible), did a vacuum of the upper sand layers, ran GFO, vodka dosed, Tech M dosed, and hydrogen peroxide dosed, combined this with 3 day blackout, 2 day light, 3 day blackout, and cut back pre-prepared food, just fed tiny amounts of sliced clam and scallops. Took about 3-4 weeks but got it under control. Continued vodka and peroxide dosing over next 3 months and things were back to good. There were about 50 times I wanted drain the friggin tank and give away the fish but in the end it all worked out. I now feed exclusively with home made food and a home made mix of phyto/pods and all is good. A lot of commercial stuff is full of phosphates, even before it decays in the tank. If you can, make and/or grow your own. Just my thoughts. Good luck.
Mark

oh, and idk if you tried this for your bryopsis. i have a tuft show up in my tank every now and then, usually if i overfed for a week or something else raises my nutrients. i turn off the pumps, and with a syringe spot dose the tuft with H2O2. i mix in some MgCl2 first, to make it dense enough to sink (otherwise it just floats straight up, being lighter than seawater). you could use any salt really, but since my tank is lowish on Mg anyway i use that. wait til the bubbling stops, and then turn the pumps back on. i do a max of 6mL a day in my tank which i guesstimate at 25gal total water volume. the algae dies after 1 treatment, maybe 2 if you miss a spot. you could do the same thing by dosing the techM you would normally add directly onto the algae, at least temporarily concentrating it on the bryo.
the only thing is be careful that it doesnt sink down onto a nearby coral. the H2O2 wont kill it if you blow it off within a min (never tried longer), but it will royally piss it off, and it will brown out and sulk for a while - at least thats how it worked with my rr nauti spiral monti.
Thanks a lot guys, the only thing that keeps me going is the corals seems to be happy, they have nice color and good growth, thanks again....

I want to give a big thank to Rushil (rkalola) for taking his time to help me cleaning the rocks and re-scaping it, here are a before and after pic of the tank...I still have to attache some frags to the rocks, thanks a lot again Rushil.

Before
uploadfromtaptalk1451348508393.jpg

After
uploadfromtaptalk1451348535592.jpg

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Looking good Juan.

I think he's hiding the 180 from the wife, and one day he's going to flip tanks, and hope she doesn't notice. :eek::D:D

Last edited:
=)

No problem Juan. We removed at least a couple pounds of hair algae. It probably happened from improperly cured or dirty rock suddenly leeching all the nutrients trapped inside. Once that chaeto starts to grow hopefully it will tip the scale in your favor. That skimmer should be doing a lot of work today so keep an eye on it as the residual algae will be dying from all the rocks we flipped over. Keep those new rock surfaces clean!

=)

No problem Juan. We removed at least a couple pounds of hair algae. It probably happened from improperly cured or dirty rock suddenly leeching all the nutrients trapped inside. Once that chaeto starts to grow hopefully it will tip the scale in your favor. That skimmer should be doing a lot of work today so keep an eye on it as the residual algae will be dying from all the rocks we flipped over. Keep those new rock surfaces clean!
Sure will and thanks a lot again.

I moved all the fish from the DT to a QT to treat the ick, I lost my Powder Blue Tang, the male Frostbite Clownfish and one of the female Anthias.

Status
Not open for further replies.