• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

July Party orders and info!

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
NP, lot of fun.
Hoping the RSVP numbers increase as we're looking at everyone walking away with 2 prizes at this point :)
Hoping even more that instead of any 'cover charge' (which there isn't, its free for all to attend! Come by!) that folks might consider a small order at H2O or Reefcleaners as they're offering some great online deals and it would help cement a relation in the future.
As far as ACC we all know and love em and they've donated a number of raffle items including gift certificates to the new website (looks fantastic)!

Last edited:

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I first off wish to commend @Mark_C for his progressive thinking and club dedication. If he was running for any Board position, he'd have my vote!

However, I still question the selective following of club rules. I notice multiple "Member's Group Buys" occurring here in this forum that should have required Board approval and limited to Paid Members only, but is open to ALL paid and non-paid members, but a "Trades/offers/wtb forum, " occurring at the same time at Mark's meeting is limited to Paid Members only! I'd like to know how the Board voted on this? Why am I a paid member?

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I notice multiple "Member's Group Buys" occurring here in this forum that should have required Board approval and limited to Paid Members only, but is open to ALL paid and non-paid members, but a "Trades/offers/wtb forum, " occurring at the same time at Mark's meeting is limited to Paid Members only! I'd like to know how the Board voted on this? Why am I a paid member?

All on me Paul, The Board was not involved, nor did I ask permission.
I did, however, realize I may be violating Board rules early on.
Here, verbatum, is my opening paragraph in a message to them from July 6th...
Management!
Hi. Working on a few vendor deals for group orders on the July meet.
I did send out a few requests for minor donations to major companies.
In retrospect I should have passed this by you guys first, but in excitement, just fired it out, then the brain kicked in later.
Hopefully it doesn't misrepresent us.
More hopefully, it will open the door to future dealings if any of these guys respond positively.
By these guys I mean, Hanna, Hydor, Red Sea, Innovative Marine, and one or two more.
If I did a bad, my apologies. I can send a remission and apology for the mails to those folk.
Was just excited to push the July meet and I let excitement get ahead of thought process.

I did not do this as a paid member group buy or paid member trade. I took it on as a personal thing to occur at a party I was privately hosting and paying for out of my own pocket.
Knowing we just had a membership push at RAP and knowing there were a few members (some attending) who joined the club, but may not be paid members yet, I decided to offer group buys, sponsers, and trades in the open for this event. Again, fully organized by me with no club resources going into it.
I also thought that taking this initiative would open up some ideas for future meets, draw in a few advertisers for the cllubs future, and give us some names and contacts (which I have) at Red Sea, Tunze, etc...

If the party had been even partially paid for with the clubs money, the only thing you would have seen is the address and bio.
Matter of fact a member offered to, insisted, on giving me $20 for the party.
I informed the Board about it, and told them I had to refuse as this party was, in total, my responsibility financially as I didn't want to shake up club rules.
Here is a quote, verbatum, from me to the Board early last week, still regarding a simple $20...
Im fine covering expenses. If the club starts helping its going to set a precident for all other meets. I know (name withheld) does a big meet as well that puts him considerably out of pocket, as does (name witheld), and helping my expenses would be a bit unfair to others that host.
So, even accepting $20 became an issue as I wanted no mix of things I was taking on with anything related to club finances or membership. I asked the member to donate it to the club coffers instead.

As per why you are a paid member...
For the remaining 11 months of the year I will not be offering group orders or trade posts.
And, those not attending are still posting in the wtb/trade forum, which is members only still I believe.
I'm also assuming that it helps pay for the server space you're reading this from.

Tried to do a good thing to generate interest and welcome new members, allowing them to participate in a sample of what the club does.
Kept the board informed all through the past few weeks and have had in depth conversations regarding this.
Saying all that, this is open for debate.
I'm leaving in a few minutes for a conference this weekend, I'll be away and won't have access to a computer through the day.
I will have access to view whats going on via my phone, and I will be able to reply to the debate tonight around 9pm.

Based on decisions made, I will accept full responsibility.
If need be I will shut down all group orders as of tomorrow morning and remove the post and link, and I will pay for all shipping for any order that has been made by any member.
I will shut down the July want to trade forum as well.

As this discussion is being had, I think the above is a decent solution.
I have more vendor offers to post, which I logged in this morning to update before I leave. I have not updated them.
I will hold for further information.

In lack of any decision by the end of the weekend,
in lieu of starting a rift in the club regarding the membership fees again,
as the vendors need orders in soon,
as I have to call in catering tomorrow evening when I return home,
as my shipping cost for these items may now going up throughout the weekend,
and as this is a rouge motion instigated wholly by me...
if no solid solution is reached I will shut down the two above mentioned forums tomorrow morning and accept any financial responsibilites involved.

[edit]
Running late now.
To be honest with everything going on,with organizing and trying to budget this, with heading back to work, and with conferences this weekend, I'm thoroughly exhausted.
With unintentionally reopening this debate, the wind is now out of my sails.
I'm OK with, and now lean towards, issuing an apology and cancelling this months meet. It would resolve any issues immediately and enforce that all efforts by members, private or not, as long as it is club related, have to follow established rules.
I'm happy to donate the raffle items to the club for use however is seen fit, cover the group buy shipping from my own pocket, and offer a pickup at my house.

Last edited:

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Mark pat yourself on the back ,i cannot wait for meeting. You did something positive .good for you.. not negativity in this club . I'm upset people have to rant . .. It is their right i guess .

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I will not speak for all the BOD members but I will provide my views and thoughts on this.

1. I agree with Paul on if Mark was running for a seat I would gladly vote for him. Mark would make a great BOD member.

2. What Mark did was what this club needs. We need more members to take the bull by the horns and run with things. Personally I feel like that there are a select few members trying to keep this club afloat as others sit back. This club should be ran by the members which seems to be lost for I don't know for how long. I seems more like the members wait for the BOD to plan everything, to decide everything, to setup everything. The BOD should be more a guide to help keep the club in the right direction but the members should be the ones planning and running everything. I will admit I been guilty of it myself. As a member I helped out a little waiting for the BOD to make the bulk of the decisions. As a BOD members I have contribute to the 'way it been' but I will also state that I am trying to change that.

3. Mark I don't think you need to issue an apology or change/cancel anything you have done. As of right now group buys is something that should be for paid members. With that said I recall another group buy that was done outside the paid members only and nothing was said. Also Mark's setup isn't just a group buy. He, as the host of the meeting, is setting up a group buy for the meeting he is hosting. I see this to be a special exception to the rule of paid members only because the meeting host is the one who did it and its not a stand alone group buy but a group buy for the meeting he is running.

4. Mark's Trade/Offer/WTB thread - Now because this again is being done by the meeting host and the trade/offer/buy are being done at the meetings I personally think its ok to open it up to everyone but right now its for paid members only. Again I feel that should be the decision of the meeting's host.

5. Membership fee- We all know this has been a topic of debate lately and all can agree there little-to-no value to the member for their $12. I have been looking into some options to bring value to the membership. With that said the last month I been side track because I am trying to run a soccer event in my town. Something that was talked about during the BOD election (when it was being begged to get people to run) was to shutdown the club and just operate out of other sites like R2R or even as a Facebook Group. We could easily shut this site down and run from one of those sites cause then there would be no cost to 'run' the club. I personally feel if we did one of those options the feel of this club will get lost in those large groups. When I went looking for a club this is the type of club I was looking for. Folks that act more like family and less concern about making a buck or proving they know EVERYTHING about this hobby.

Again Mark I personally think what you have done is fine and shouldn't have to apologies or cancel anything.

SeahorseKeeper

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I will not speak for all the BOD members but I will provide my views and thoughts on this.

1. I agree with Paul on if Mark was running for a seat I would gladly vote for him. Mark would make a great BOD member.

2. What Mark did was what this club needs. We need more members to take the bull by the horns and run with things. Personally I feel like that there are a select few members trying to keep this club afloat as others sit back. This club should be ran by the members which seems to be lost for I don't know for how long. I seems more like the members wait for the BOD to plan everything, to decide everything, to setup everything. The BOD should be more a guide to help keep the club in the right direction but the members should be the ones planning and running everything. I will admit I been guilty of it myself. As a member I helped out a little waiting for the BOD to make the bulk of the decisions. As a BOD members I have contribute to the 'way it been' but I will also state that I am trying to change that.

3. Mark I don't think you need to issue an apology or change/cancel anything you have done. As of right now group buys is something that should be for paid members. With that said I recall another group buy that was done outside the paid members only and nothing was said. Also Mark's setup isn't just a group buy. He, as the host of the meeting, is setting up a group buy for the meeting he is hosting. I see this to be a special exception to the rule of paid members only because the meeting host is the one who did it and its not a stand alone group buy but a group buy for the meeting he is running.

4. Mark's Trade/Offer/WTB thread - Now because this again is being done by the meeting host and the trade/offer/buy are being done at the meetings I personally think its ok to open it up to everyone but right now its for paid members only. Again I feel that should be the decision of the meeting's host.

5. Membership fee- We all know this has been a topic of debate lately and all can agree there little-to-no value to the member for their $12. I have been looking into some options to bring value to the membership. With that said the last month I been side track because I am trying to run a soccer event in my town. Something that was talked about during the BOD election (when it was being begged to get people to run) was to shutdown the club and just operate out of other sites like R2R or even as a Facebook Group. We could easily shut this site down and run from one of those sites cause then there would be no cost to 'run' the club. I personally feel if we did one of those options the feel of this club will get lost in those large groups. When I went looking for a club this is the type of club I was looking for. Folks that act more like family and less concern about making a buck or proving they know EVERYTHING about this hobby.

Again Mark I personally think what you have done is fine and shouldn't have to apologies or cancel anything.

I agree with this 100%.

Mark, I truly appreciate everything that you have done to plan this meeting. You have gone above and beyond to attract members to come to the meeting. I can't thank you enough for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Just re-read and checked. Paul is right. The July Trades/Offers/WTB was meant to be posted in the general forums, not the paid member's forums. Which, of course revisits the 'Why should I pay to be a member', at least for this month.
Can we please kill the July Trades/Offers/WTB post. Anyone who has arranged something I feel should be able to follow through, but all future offers should be suspended.

Anyone going please RSVP as I'm going to have to place the food orders tomorrow and do some shopping post conferences.
Note if you are undecided, I will still be picking up considerable amounts of burgers, dogs, salad, snacks, etc.. to cover at least a dozen additional attendees.
I'll have a few select cases of beer, and will try to get out to get a few growlers filled. If you have any drink preferences, please bring.
This is a no politics zone (US or NJRC).

As no debate has occurred yet, I'd like a ruling from the board on whether to continue the group buys and raffle, as I have more info to post.
If it is decided club rules have been selectively followed, gift certificates will be returned to vendors and sponsor items will be given to a club rep to hold for future official use.
Meet will still occur, sans raffle, and I will pay for shipping for anyone who has placed an order.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
@Mark_C we can just move the Trade/Offers.WTB thread to the public side but if you want to remove it we can. For a ruling I say my vote is we keep things as is with the group buy, raffles, and everything else you planned.

I already RSVP; do I need to provide my dietary needs? Can I pick up anything? I'm not a big beer drinker so I can grab case or two of soda if thats cool with you?

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Whatever you like my friend. I'll be picking up a few cases of random soda cans, Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, etc. If you (or anyone else has a dietary restrict let me know). I'm already doing 1 or 2 gluten free trays and trying to mix up a few others, plus I'll be loading up on burgers and dogs.

Lets remove that thread. Its one less thing to worry about and one less thing for the board to debate at such a late hour. Though I think anyone already involved in conversation should keep their deals going.

Just remains to hear from the board as a whole as to continue or cancel the raffle and group orders.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I am more joking around. I am doing Keto diet so really only thing is I am not eating sugar or carbs. I will be fine with what ever you have going on Mark

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Ha! The finest foods it shall be then!
THE MENU!

Mixed greens salad
Bistro Chicken Savoy topped with fresh spinach, fresh mozzarella & roasted peppers
Chicken Sherry pan seared with bacon, wild mushrooms, cream & sherry
Homemade Meatballs in Marinara
Bistro Sausage with Peppers & Onions
Whole Herb Roasted Tenderloin of Beef (with sauces Madeira wine, au jus, marsala, horseradish mayo & demiglace)
Hot dogs and burgers
Canned drink (various sodas and iced tea)
Bottled water
Case DogfishHead 90 IPA
Case Forgotten Boardwalk IPA (if I have time to pick it up)
Case of something else
A few growlers from Kane (if I have time)

Last edited:

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
'July meet WTB/WTS/Trade' post has been removed.
Sorry for any inconvenience. May have violated some club rules, my bad.
Of course anyone who has been in negotiations, keep them going.

So, I'm switching it up!

Bring items to the party for trades/exchanges/etc...

Note, I have plenty of space for frags.

I'll put out tables to put your stuff on, a flea market!
Do not post sale information on this site.

If you want to bring items to trade or sell, do so.
Put your name and an asking price on item, put it on a table, then chill and enjoy the party.

Bring cash to buy things!
And some for the raffles of course.

Note: I have no tables (Ha!). I'd like to avoid the additional expenses of buying them. If anyone can bring a table, or tables, please let me know asap.

Last edited:

erics210

NJRC Member
Not sure how to RSVP, but am 90% sure I can make it. I have 2 or 3 of the folding 6 foot resin tables I can bring. I will know for sure in the next day or so...