• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Ka Reactor vs Ca Reactor

I just got a calcium reactor and I was getting ready to set it up. But I started doing some research on them and came across Kalk Reactors and now I'm not sure if I should get a Kalk reactor as well.

Any advice?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
LOL, Francis.

When we needed a "dosing" solution Kalk REACTORS weren't on my radar. My choices seemed to be either a Ca reactor or a dosing strategy of adding Kalk to the system, which seemed way too manual a process. With a topoff of 6gpd, creating a Kalk solution seemed daunting to me. So naturally I went with a Ca reactor. I was told over and over again that adding the Ca reactor would amaze me!

I was seriously unimpressed. Our PH rode "low" 8.0-8.1 which I was told over and over again that it was "within range" and not a problem. I couldn't get my PH any higher so I sat waiting to be "amazed" by the growth that would come with the reactor.

When things didn't grow as I expected they should I started trying to figure out why. Nitrates? PO4? Those were in check and still no appreciable growth. When I started to more closely examine the successful systems around me the common ground seemed to be a good kalk dosing strategy in addition to the Ca reactor. This in combination with that PH thread from Hades that seemed to go on for decades (I was actually learning from that over the top banter) led me to realize that Kalk was a necessary and missing component. Having something to do with needing something (the carbon source ?) from the kalk to negate the effects of adding Co2 to the tank.

With nothing left to lose (except a few more sheckels in an already expensive experiment), we added the Kalk reactor. Ok, now I'm amazed. Things grow from one day to the next, like you'd expect them to.

I'm sure there are enough people who are able to run a Ca reactor without dosing Kalk, but for our situation, I found the Kalk a completely necessary component to the argument. Our PH now rides closer to 8.4 which seems to be the magic missing component from our equation.

And be sure to calibrate your PH probes monthly. When the next PA buy comes around, or the next time you find the opportunity, pick up not ONE packet of calibration solution, but enough to calibrate each month. I just found mine to be off by nearly .3. Luckily I wasn't trying desparate meneuvers to get it higher!

Your mileage and experience may vary, but this is my story and I'm sticking to it!

Phyl:

One more newby question...ok probably not the last one. With such a high evaporation rate how does the Kalk reactor keep up. The ones I see seem to hold less than what you lose each day. How often do you have to feed the Kalk reactor and how do you have it hooked up?

Thank god I joined this club!!!!

Thanks
Lou

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
These dose kalk out as water is fed into the chamber so the water inside is always full, if that makes sense.

My kalk reactor has an in-feed and an outfeed. I use an Aqualifter to move water out of my RO/DI bucket through the Kalk reactor. The water feeds into the bottom of the unit pushing it up through the kalk. The kalk is stirred twice a day by my ACII (though it is typically recommended that it be stirred 4x a day) in between running the water through the reactor. The reactor is tied to a float switch in my sump that calls for top off water when necessary. We put about 1# of ESV Kalk into the reactor at a clip. When the pile at the bottom looks low between stirrings we siphon out enough water from the reactor to mix with the kalk powder to form a slurry and pour the whole mix right back into the reactor using a funnel (cut off portion of the top of a small water bottle) and close down the top port again.

I pretty much agree with Phyl on her observations. I too see the same thing.

I try and make it a point to suggest to people to start with a kalk reactor and then add a Ca reactor later if/when needed. I personally feel a kalk reactor is a lot more healthy for the system then a ca reactor.

Singlemalt, most kalk reactors have a line in and out. The line in is a feed from the
ro/di unit or from a container holding ro/di water and pumped into the reactor. Basically the reactor is constantly filled with water. (edited - pretty much as Phyl just described above)

Carlo

I feel both should be run simultaneously. Calcium reactors are great for supplying calcium and buffering Alkalinity as well as adding other trace elements depending on the media, but will lower the system pH because of the addition of CO2. A kalk system (reactor of not) offers a way to supply additional calcium and buffering capacity while countering the low pH of a calcium reactor setup. Also kalkwasser will help in the precipitation of phosphates which may be why significant growth and health of corals can be observed after installing such a system. Either way, I use both and still find myself dosing 2 part...oh well

Lot's of information. Thank you phyl, carlo and harlequin(don't know your name sorry.) ... I'm going to see if I can scrape a couple of bucks to get an MRC KA Reactor. I'll wait to set up my Ca Reactor until then.

It's funny because after everything I buy I say to myself this is going to be the last thing for a while. But then something always comes up. Good thing I'm going back to working 6 days a week. ::)

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
NapoliNewJersey said:
It's funny because after everything I buy I say to myself this is going to be the last thing for a while.

Ain't that the truth. I wish I had a dime for every time I said "Ah this is it. Once we get this online we won't need anything else"

I'm happy enough with holding off on buying livestock since i'm full up. But I guess the equipment thing won't end for a while....

Napoli, what type of Cal reactor did you buy? Do you still have the 120?

Erik (met you on inman ave for the Hydor)

I still have my 120

IMG_5271.jpg

I got an MRC cr6 CA reactor from Mr. X in the ForSale Forum for $300. It has all the upgrades. Blueline pump and spraybar.

completesetup.jpg

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I've seen the difference in Phyl's tank since using Kalk. Like night and day.

Can we put together a Kalk reactor groupe buy?

mikem said:
Can we put together a Kalk reactor groupe buy?

You read my mind. I think Premium Aquatics sells them so maybe we can contact them and see what they can help us with if we do a "Reactor" Group buy.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We can't use the club's name for the groupe buy.
You can put your feelers out there to see if anyones is interested. I'm interested.

Ok ... Any brand you're looking at in particular. I'll go with whatever you think is the best option.

Since my Ca Reactor was MRC and I was going to go with an MRC skimmer later on down the line I was thinking at looking at MRC Nilson Reactors as well but I saw the one phyl posted and that looks good too. I'm not picky so maybe if you can choose the brand i'll do my best to contact vendors and get prices.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I seen hers in person and working. Looked like it was well put together, but brand don't matter to me.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Wish we had someone in the club that can help us make these at a meeting.