• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Ka Reactor vs Ca Reactor

We can do a meeting pick up or we can move them closer to you through members that attend the meeting and then head back toward your area. It's easily worked out. The more people the better the price.

Funny, over the last few weeks I've begun investigating Kalk reactors. I was just going to order one and was mad at myself for not getting it in the PA group buy. Luckily I ran across this thread. Count me in for a Kalk reactor.

I've heard good things about the GEO model unless anyone has heard otherwise. It's the model I was leaning toward. A user on RC has entered this comment about the Precision Marine Reactor "The PM reactor is built tough but is a flawed design. There isn't any way to drain the reactor in order to add more kalk. I have to siphon water out of the reactor in order to refill it, which sucks."

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
LOL. That's what I like about the design, Chase. I siphon enough water out to make a slurry and then I pour it all back in. There's no waste. Ok so I have to start a siphon, but that doesn't bother me (I just make John do it, lol. J/K).

i would be in for one of these maybe even two if my friend wants one, too much dissolved co2 in his tank causing the ph to drop. phyl is this the model you are using? i was going to purchase a calcium reactor because i got my hands on a FREE brand new 10lb co2 tank and regulator.

To expand on the discussion...PowerHead or Magnetic stirrer?

The main gripe I've heard about using PHs to mix the kalk is that because the powder is flowing thru the PH, it'll clog and cease up eventually.

Also, how often do you schedule the mixing pump to turn on throughout the day?

Im a little lost. What is the actual one we would be getting? Also, what else would be need to make it work? Sorry for the Newbie questions.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I own THIS one. I like it, but I haven't owned it long enough for the ideosynchrasies to outweigh my love for it. This keeps the PH stable in my 570g system topping off 6g a day. I personally stir 2x a day for 5m.

I don't mind siphoning water, I'll keep a couple of spare MJs in the pile with the spare aqualifters I keep on hand. Wear parts. Cheap, given my investment.

On the other hand... can it be improved upon? One plus would be a magnetic stirrer (I wouldn't get a mechanical one as it would have the same problem as the MJ and less readily available in the market place).

I think THIS looks like a good design, but for the price increase I can buy an AWFUL lot of MJs. Sizewise the #2 version of this has a chamber size roughly the size of the precision at nearly 100$ more.

I would look to order whichever one you all can agree on. Since I already own one, I don't need to like the one you pick ;D

As far as what else you would need to make it work, I would suggest you each get a 4# jar of ESV Kalk to go with it (again, my personal preference is ESV over Ms. Wages, YMMV) and make sure you have a TOP OFF switch. As for a feed pump, I use an aqualifter.

Ihop said:
So do you need both a KA and Ca reactor or just one?

I was just going to ask the same question...seems like people are saying you may need both but should get the KA first.

im not completely sure how this would work. i have an auto topoff unit from autotopoff.com. i currently draw water from my ro reservoir that is filled automatically with my ro unit and solenoid and float valves. from here my water gets pumped through my aqualifter to my tank. if i purchased this would i have to add kalk and ro water every day to the reactor?, and take my aqualifter from pulling water out of my reservoir tank and have it pull water from the reactor and to my sump? so i would then physically put water and kalk powder into the reactor daily (as stated above) to replace whats being used. i thought the whole reason to do this is so you dont have to dose calcium or worry about the water level in your tank.

if this is the case i would think a calcium reactor would be easier, but if you need the kalkwasser for it to run correctly, im probably better off just manually dosing it every day. for huge systems this is easier, but ive gone from 100+ systems to smaller to bigger to smaller again. i have already decided the biggest tank i am going to have within the next ten years is a 150 gallon max system including my sump water.

my total system now is about 50 gallons.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you're just dosing and are looking for a better solution you have the choice between Ca reactor or dosing Kalk. Of course, there are many ways to skin a ... fish, but I wanted an automated way. Ergo the Ka reactor (v. a bucket).

Between the two I would get the Ka reactor first (though you may find that it causes your PH to go too high, but with just the Ca reactor it may go, as in my case, too low).

Ligershark, in your situation, I would take the effluent of your aqualifter and use that as the in-feed to your kalk reactor. Then take your out flow from the ka reactor and send that hose into your sump. Wa-la, you've got it installed. You put powder in once a week/month and the water flows through it, mixing it in.

this is something i need to see running to understand. does anyone live around monroe or manalapan with a system like this running?

I think I understand how it works. The output from the RO feeds in to the Ka reactor then the output of the Ka reactor goes into the drum which stores the RO water. When the tank calls for water, the RO/w Ka water is then pumped into the tank dosing the calcium. Is this correct?

Ligershark, in your situation, I would take the effluent of your aqualifter and use that as the in-feed to your kalk reactor. Then take your out flow from the ka reactor and send that hose into your sump. Wa-la, you've got it installed. You put powder in once a week/month and the water flows through it, mixing it in.

what will control the water level in my sump, the kalk reactor effluent? does the pump to supply the sump with reactor fluid (in this case topoff) come with the reactor or is that something that needs to be purchased seperate, cause the maxi jet it comes with is just for internal mixing right? would this pump burn out too or is it automatic that every time my ro water goes into the reactor effluent water goes into my sump. i dont see how i can incorporate my autotopoff unit with the kalk reactor and have it dose appropriately as my water evaporates, ive confused myself. im sorry if this is something that is very easy and i am just not understanding it.

someone let me know when i can see this in action

Tom, let's take a ride down to Phyl and John's house. You're already down there but I can meet up with you one day when they're available and we'll go over together. This way we can both see the set up. If that's ok with them of corse.