• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Ka Reactor vs Ca Reactor

I use an Aqualifter (3.5 gph) on my kalk reactor too. I was using an SP 3000 (0.8 gph) but it doesn't push enough water for my system and I couldn't keep up with evap (isn't that sad!) and pH.

Carlo

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
FWIW, the deal we've gotten on the Kalk reactos is for the Precision Marine ones. We aren't able to do a GB on the Reeftek ones.

I use a SP3000 to pump from the basement to the 1st floor living room, over 38 feet and that little pump works great. I don't use a KA reactor so I'm not sure if the pump will work for that, I use the garbage can with kalk mix, dosing pump and float switch, been doing it for years this way with no problems.

Ligershark said:
carlo, what kind of kalk reactor do you use? im between the reeftek or precision marine.

I use a custom built reactor myself so it can handle my water volume. If you're looking for a "Carlo recommendation" on a reactor for the average reefer I wouldn't go with a pump based recirc reactor. They end up being more trouble then they are worth in my opinion. I'd much prefer a unit like the Aqua Medic 1000 which uses a stir mechanism that keeps the kalk very consistant since it is constantly stirring the water very slowly.

With a pump based recirc type model you need to stir once a day during off drip hours and then drip after the kalk has had a chance to settle. Then the concentration changes throughout the day as new water is pumped through the unit. This isn't an issue with a constant stir type reactor like the AM1000/5000 units.

Carlo

PS that's just a personal opinion and many people use the recirc pump type units without any troubles. Personally if I were going to use a recirc type unit I'd just build it myself for about $50 instead of buying one. Lowes/HD should have everything you need except the pump itself and you can pick up a small MaxiJet at just about any LFS.

carlo,

i thought i'd ask cause i know allquatics (which i believe you associate yourself with) has a reeftek calcium reactor on their 215 show tank.

Yea I believe it is but it's a calcium reactor and not a kalk reactor.

I'm building a few kalk reactors this weekend for the store so if anyone is interested in a DIY project just let me know.

Carlo

I was planning on sourcing some cheap small motors and doing a mechanical stir. For the most part I was going to try and do something very similar to an Aqua Medic kalk reactor but I wasn't worried about having a clear reactor chamber.

I stopped in Lowes this morning and picked up everything I needed except for the stir mechanism which I was going to ponder tonight/tomorrow.

If I somehow strike out on the stir mechanism (doing it cheap) then I could always add a pump and build it just like a recirc type kalk reactor but I'd prefer to avoid that.

Carlo

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Personally, I'd rather have a pump than a mechanical stirrer. The magnetic ones pique my interest, but the mechanical ones are no better (and possibly worse) than using a cheap, easily accessible pump. Why go with the stirrer?

Phyl, I'm with you. If the stirring mechanism breaks then you're SOOL but if your pump breaks it's a quick fix... less than $20 and same day solution. Better then ordering a part paying more money and waiting.

In my opinion there is no question that the pump is the smarter choice.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I've also read the stirrer could possibly wear through the bottom and cause a big mess. But I took that with a grain of salt.

good reasons for a magnetic stirrer -
1. 2 year warranty on the stirrer (if you buy from a good brand)
2. uses less power
3. you can control the speed of the stirrer (models that have microprocessors)

It's about $100 difference between a good magnetic stirrer model, and a powerhead model. I guess it comes down to how many times you have to change that pump out over 2 years. If it's more than 5 times, then it would have been cheaper the magnetic route.

Also, other than breaking often, I've read where the seals around the powerhead wears out over time and causes leaks.

With that said, both designs do their job well :)

hayabusa2003 said:
I guess it comes down to how many times you have to change that pump out over 2 years. If it's more than 5 times, then it would have been cheaper the magnetic route.

The Maxijet 400, that come with the reactor, all have 2 year warranty.

make sure you write a review of it after a few months so that when I'm ready to get one it'll be an easier decision. With all the people buying at this time, it's a great way to see if the pumps burning out is a real problem or just a marketing trick.

hayabusa2003 said:
make sure you write a review of it after a few months so that when I'm ready to get one it'll be an easier decision. With all the people buying at this time, it's a great way to see if the pumps burning out is a real problem or just a marketing trick.

Good point.

NapoliNewJersey said:
hayabusa2003 said:
I guess it comes down to how many times you have to change that pump out over 2 years. If it's more than 5 times, then it would have been cheaper the magnetic route.

The Maxijet 400, that come with the reactor, all have 2 year warranty.

mike, im sure the fact that were running the calcium hydroxide through the pump voids the warranty.