• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Ka Reactor vs Ca Reactor

From how I understand it to work is as such (please correct me if I'm wrong).

The auto top-off works as it does today with the only change the water is sent into the ka reactor and from there into the sump.

- When you water level gets too low it will activate the pump for the auto top-off system.

- The output of the auto top-off pump is connected to the ka reactor by a tube. The output from the pump that is normally sent from the RO container to the tank/sump is now sent into the kalk reactor

- The output (tube) from the KA reactor is sent to the sump. When the Kalk Reactor is filled the mixture will be forced out of it. A tube must be connected here to allow the water to run into the tank/sump.

If you already have an auto top-off system and using a pump there's no need for a new pump just use the one you have now.

Is that coorect?

One question a little off topic regarding the aqualifters. I have 3 and two of them no longer work. I used them for my auto top off. I mix my RO/DI water with Kalkwasser and send it into the sump through an aqualifter. Can I assume that the mixture causes problems for the aqualifter?

NapoliNewJersey said:
Tom, let's take a ride down to Phyl and John's house. You're already down there but I can meet up with you one day when they're available and we'll go over together. This way we can both see the set up. If that's ok with them of corse.

Bring a camera and notepad. Phyl and John don't have a reef tank, they have a reef SYSTEM. You'll know what I'm talking about when you see their basement...

Ligershark said:
IF it works as described above, then it all makes sense and seems so easy. *IF*
It does seem simple when explained that way. That's the way I understood it to work. I just hope it's right. Am waiting for a response from someone who knows.

chase33 said:
One question a little off topic regarding the aqualifters. I have 3 and two of them no longer work. I used them for my auto top off. I mix my RO/DI water with Kalkwasser and send it into the sump through an aqualifter. Can I assume that the mixture causes problems for the aqualifter?

Never used an aqualifter - (unless that pump in the osmolator is considered one) - but when I ask tunze about it - they void any warranty on their ATO pump if kalk is being pumped...so I would imagine the slurry mixture does mess up the pump. Again - no experience just reading. Also read an idea of raising the pump/aqualifter so it is not on the bottom getting the worst of the slurry...not sure if that makes any sense to you.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Ligershark, if you still want to see it in action you can come by our place. We're in Jackson, right near the Freehold border - probably no more than 30 minutes away, if that.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We feed fresh water into the aqualifter and then into the kalk reactor, so it isn't actually pushing slurry. It works just like Chase said. We're available most nights (except Saturday night this week) after 8pm.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm waiting for John to draw up one of his fancy pictures before I ask any questions.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
mikem said:
I'm waiting for John to draw up one of his fancy pictures before I ask any questions.

It's already incoporated in this drawing:

drain3.jpg

That should make it clear as mud ;D

What would an alternative pump be if I am planning to keep it in my basement and the tank / sump is on the 1st floor?

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Way to go John. Thanks for spending all your extra time doing these drawings for us so we can understand a little better. Thanks.

Nice blueprint John! I am going hang this on my cube at work to ponder and motivate me to get going on my fishroom.

(this is just another sign that I need get a new job as well) ;)

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Ihop said:
What would an alternative pump be if I am planning to keep it in my basement and the tank / sump is on the 1st floor?

Why would you put just the kalkl reactor in the basement? If your tank/sump is upstairs, there's no reason not to have your Kalk reactor there too (unless you're really strapped for space under the tank, in which case I'd say send the sump down there and be done with it. You know you want to! :)

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm not sure what kind of pump would be required. I doubt an aqualifter would be suffient anymore and I'd be concerned about hooking in to anything really strong (as you don't want the POTENTIAL for an overdose).

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Phyl said:
I'm not sure what kind of pump would be required. I doubt an aqualifter would be suffient anymore and I'd be concerned about hooking in to anything really strong (as you don't want the POTENTIAL for an overdose).

You would be quite surpised how far an aqualifter can push up in height. Since it is such a small volume, it goes quite far.

I have had no problem pushing up at least 8 feet straight up.