• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Kids got the itch back...

If you can use a sewing machine u could make some type of slip-on sock with a filter pad.
e2e4y6ag.jpg

Jose...I think ill use the leftovers of the AC spone and wrap it around the intake with a rubber band. ill post later to let you know what happens. Btw...how much water should I bring to trop so they can test it?

I lost power briefly this morning sand when the filter camr back on it was crazy loud. The impeller really needs to be cleaned bc its even loud when I plug it in when I take it off the filter to clean it. I'm hoping this be will the last time I clean it for awhile.

YES!!! The sponge so far has made this tankso quiet...the way it should be. Very happy right now!! On a side note...the water for the nitrates test looks orange...a lighter orange so that's a deally good sign. This test is by fat the toughest to read. If you look into the test tube it looks deep red...but when I pour it out its like I said a light orange. So I'm thinking the nitrates are coming down.

Went to trop today. Got one clown and three snails. I was told things look good with the water...nitrates were 20 as I thoufht so ill just keep an eye on that. Trop was actually out of water so ill call them friday to see if they have it. Drip acclimated the clown and snails for 35 minutes and they seem to be doing great. tmp_20131002_1240211689134324.jpg So glad I waited for everything to be at the levels I wanted it to be. Right on schedule for everything. Now my research on corals begins!

Couldn't pass up these shots this morning. Eveeything is doing well. I'm having a debate with myself whether or not to get a choc. chip starfish. I know if I do that I can't do corals. I bought this 4 bulb fixture in hopes of putting corals in the tank. I honestly don't know. Anyway here are some shots of the inverts. tmp_20131013_093800624493572.jpg tmp_20131013_0938182018127224.jpg

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I would avoid the chocolate chip star, as you stated they are not reef safe and no one really knows what they eat. They are mainly brought in as food not really as a pet per say.

I agree with Mike.
If you want to add a star, once nitrates and nitrites are both 0 and holding steady for a couple of months, you could consider a red linkia or a serpent star.
I have a red linkia now that previously resided in our 12g and our 45g nano before we set up the big tank.
The red linkia are more hardy IMHO than the blue linkia is (but this is just an opinion- I have never kept a blue linkia). I have had my little guy for about 2 years, and he is quite small- about 2" across. He was tiny when I bought him, around 1.5". I got him at trop.
Another star you can consider is the serpent star. I have two in our big tank. One lived in our 45g nano for about 3 years before moving into our big tank (we have had him since 2008), the other lived in the 12g in 2008, then lived in my aunt pat's 14g biocube in her classroom, then came back to us in 2012 and went into the 200g.
The serpent stars are easier to keep than the linkia, but the linkia has more of the traditional starfish kid-pleasing shape.

IME, If you get a ChocChip just know it will eat any coral in the tank. It will also eat urchins and some anemones. If you get one they would probably make a good sump inhabitant.

Just did a random test on the nitrates. Still kinda high. Around 20. I'm wondering if I should take the sponge out of the filter. I also have a small piece of sponge wrapped around the intake tube of the filter.Thoughts?