• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Kschweers rebuild. 57g rimless

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Yea that's a hike. Maybe we can work something out when RAP comes

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
The tank is going through some issues as of late. I'm dealing with unrelenting diatoms that no matter how hard I can try I cannot get under control. Also some chemistry issues with some alk swings due in part to dialing in dosing pumps and bad reagents for my alk checker. The alk problem seems to be getting better but I'm at a total loss with the diatoms. I got a new rodi system about a month ago and the tds is 0. If anyone else has any ideas I would love to hear them.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Seriously considering vacuuming out the sandbed. Just not sure I'm going to be happy with the bare bottom look.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Seriously considering vacuuming out the sandbed. Just not sure I'm going to be happy with the bare bottom look.

You kidding? You will love it dude. However, take the sand out slowly with WC. You do not want to introduce a cycle.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
You kidding? You will love it dude. However, take the sand out slowly with WC. You do not want to introduce a cycle.
I really hope so. I'm not seeing any end in sight with these diatoms and I'm getting frustrated that I can figure it out.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Did you test for silica? Are you making RO water? If so when was last you changed the silica/sediment filter?

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
I'll be picking up a silica test kit as soon as I can find one. I got a brand new rodi unit about 2 months ago. Zero tds

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
The tank seems to be bouncing back from the alk mishap I did loose a few pieces and the sand is slowly ( I can't stress slow enough) clearing up. Acro colors aren't where they used to be bit I'm hoping things start coloring up again soon. I also added a tune powerhead I won in a contest a little while back, hoping the added flow helps with the sandbed.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
looks good Kevin . really like how the rocks are on back glass.really good..
Thanks man! Those are the alternative reef frag stations. They work out really well and the magnets are super strong.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member

horseplay

NJRC Member
If it's diatom on the glass could it be PO4 issue? And the acro browning might be nutrient related as well. Nice setup. The polyps looking great. I notice you have them higher up in the tank instead of on the bottom.