• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

LED lights... Is this worth it?

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Wow... tough crowd
IMG]

Ill jump in on this since i jumped into the LED pool.

I looked at all the Ebay versions and the one thing that i didnt see was any protection from salt creep or water. Most of these panels are not closed in and they are exposed to the elements.

These are not fixtures, they are the panels that you put into a fixture.

I really did choose Aqua Illuminations cause its their second product of the line and they have their LEDS in housing that inclosed and they are in the USA and have the rights to the patent.

ReeferNets said:
i didnt see was any protection from salt creep or water. Most of these panels are not closed in and they are exposed to the elements.

I would imagine placement of the lights determines if this is a factor to be concerned with.

It seems at least some people are receiving good PAR with the LED lights high above the tank, which I would anticipate would make this issue moot.

Most of those panels have the housings for the LEDs exposed.

Check out those links its a board with the housing attached directly too it.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I played with some leds a year ago. Not much research, so I don't know what type etc etc. They were in a housing and hung about 14 inches over a fuge no canopy no splashing and the leds burned out one by one from salt creep. These were advertised as grow lights and also for use on aquariums. Very bright, Very blue, but did not last long at all.

I can say I have pretty much no knowledge of LED technology and I am sure I got the cheapest crap out there that wasn't so cheap, but I'm sure there are good and bad components to look out for. Not much help, but I wanted to warn you to do your homework.

Taz

Taz thanks for the info.

So far my LED fixtures are awsome.

Trust me guys i wouldn't spend that much money without doing significant research. These are the building blocks to creating your own fixture.

Some of the units appear to be 4 feet above the tanks. I have never positioned a light like this.

Do you think salt would be an issue at that height?

Im not sure that high up you will but your def going to loose some light and PAR.

Once you get past two feel above the tank i think the drop off in levels is big.

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
ReeferNets said:
Ill jump in on this since i jumped into the LED pool.

I looked at all the Ebay versions and the one thing that i didnt see was any protection from salt creep or water. Most of these panels are not closed in and they are exposed to the elements.

These are not fixtures, they are the panels that you put into a fixture.

I really did choose Aqua Illuminations cause its their second product of the line and they have their LEDS in housing that inclosed and they are in the USA and have the rights to the patent.
Do you have the link to the lights you have?

I would have said they were out of my budget range as well but when i weighed out all the options with t-5s and bulbs it was close to 500 for the fixture and then another 200 for the bulbs and then to replace those bulbs for two - three years.

In the long run im saving money with electricity bills and not having to buy bulbs.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
The_Codfather said:
If anyone is interested in making LED builds with me.. PM me!.. If anything we could save on shipping or maybe bulk if we buy all in one go.. I kinda like the build switch linked http://www.reefaddicts.com/content.php/70-LED-pendent-build.. Seems a bit more compact for my needs but we could make what ever you need too.. as the saying goes.." Two brains are better then one"

Sid

Might be interested in this, how handy are you? Where are you located?