• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

LED lights... Is this worth it?

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
SWITCH420 said:
but will be worth it. i just want to start making a small 1 for my 10 gal.long and learn from there then maybe do my 20 long then the 90 wait 2 see
Im doing a 92 W/canopy.. I worried about salt creep that's why i like the link you first posted.. he has
Optics on the LED's... Im thinking 80's just for the fact that the LED's will be close to the water and no need to be pin point

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well he has 3 holes drilled on the flat side.. 2 of the holes are for screws.. and on the fin side only 1 hole per LED I have to have a closer look.. maybe blow up the pic

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
MaxSpect Aquarium Led Lighting - 160W, 40cm
Features :
1. With the United States SemiLED LED lamp, cost-effective
2. High brightness, low energy consumption : 180w (White 120w + Blu-ray 54w) = 400w Metal Halide Lamp + Blu-ray tube T5
3. T5ho products have the heat lamp (the impact of water temperature, heat radiation), metal halogen lamps of water shadow effect, the traditional light sources color effects can not be achieved
4. Does not contain any UV light on biological absolute security
5. Specific 450nm wavelength blue light, the light needed to simulate the coral growth and promote coral growth.
6. All-in-time switch setting, white & blue lamp can be separately controlled
7. Temperature real-time detection showed, high temperature alarm, high temperature automatically turn off the lights (60-degree alarm, auto of above 70-degrees)
8. All external power supply, lamp only through low-voltage DC, for aquarium biological and human security
9. Fashion, simple, compact Design. To subvert the traditional lamp awkward appearance, large volume.
10. Integrated aluminum radiator light body, with the dual-ball bearing fans, provide adequate cooling for LED.
Quantity Price Chart
Base $468.00
5 - 10 $445.00
11 - 20 $421.00
21 - 30 $421.00
31 - 40 $421.00

interesting might be worth it. im still reading all kinds of links on diy led projects.some people do kind of the same thing for diy grow lights

i have ordered moonlights and stuff off ebay they were in hong kong or china ect. seems like stronger leds come out every day lol.our lights will be old tech like a week after we make em..lol

Here is the skinny on Maxspect I was working with someone from World Wide reef web site

Hi Rich.... this lights is new and at this moment only runs on 230w so might not be ready for export to US market yet.

As for the fan, most units (from what I hear) are working fine. Problems could be limited to the initial few units (teething problem I presume).

As for the LED, yes all bulb are stating a 50,000 life hours but then the color spectrum do shift after certain hours of burning in and that's the reason this manufacturer recommended a change of LED every 2 years (guess he is being safe)

And yes, the colors bulbs are adjustable from what I know. I've not used em personally but only seen reviews locally here from local reefers..

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hey SWITCH may of found a guy in NY that makes custom LED's cheap. Im getting his phone number maybe today.. after i have talked to him i will post the info if it seems to be worth it

I think you are talking about Wingo LED. He is an interesting guy. Look on the Manhattan reefers site to get his contact info.

lmk and if its wingo i read a lot from him on mr.not sure he is that cheap.it really dont seem that hard i starting to get it i think we can make them.y i want 2 start small then as i make 1 i will learn more/different ways i have a welder and was thinking i can bend some alum.for a hood and i can powder coat it.hey maybe we can start a new light company....lol ;D

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Mbodell said:
I think you are talking about Wingo LED. He is an interesting guy. Look on the Manhattan reefers site to get his contact info.
Thanks...Not sure of his name... I find out today

Just remember guys your buying from a non US company. Parts and supplies come from Europe or China and can take long time to get.

Be careful buy american