• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

LED lights... Is this worth it?

you know - I was thinking about lullabies - and as long as you are fine with light orchestra - than you can program PAR table to mimic music and create a light orchestra for your fish ;D ;D ;D

http://reefbuilders.com/2010/01/04/phobos-and-deimos-led-lights-from-pacific-sun-raise-the-bar-for-hybrid-t5-led-fixtures/

mnat said:
I think he was asking who makes it, which I am also curious of as well because it sounds like it can do just about anything. Does it play lullbies to the fish to help them fall asleep as well? ;D

some people buy AI and still need profilux to do basic stuff on light. some people buy Royal Exclusiv skimmers too. a pair of platinium clowns for 699.99 - this hobby is weird and not exact science = I got second job to support it :)

Edward771 said:
$2271 and the brightest Deimos light is a budget breaking $3594.

Thats a crazy expensive light.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
I have 10 k plus invested in my tanks. Its just a shame that LEDs are so expensive. They shouldn't be that much soon they will be coming down.

you are right. basic concept is rather simple and thats why you can see literally 10s of new led lights on monthly basis.

but price will not come down that drastically - a few reasons why not:

a) there will be always a new LED bulb that will be better and of course more expensive. just like we pay nearly double for KZ Fiji Purple versus regular ATI bulb

b) a lot of firms sell LED lighting that literally never tested those lights on their tanks and alway market something new and better.

c) people do their DYI based on their personal view appeal (blue vs white) that is NOT the same what corals may need. Light needed for photosynthesis is not visible to human eye. therefore effects of those DYI will be visible in months to come.

the firm that actually tests the lights on their own tanks and constantly improves the product will always be in demand and hold the price. something along zeovit in germany. they proved based on their tanks that methods works - some may agree or not - and just make killing selling who knows what. I suspect same thing will happen with LEDs for a long time until there is market standard that will tell you what you need to have to provide sufficient light for corals and photosynthesis process.

Edward771 said:
I have 10 k plus invested in my tanks. Its just a shame that LEDs are so expensive. They shouldn't be that much soon they will be coming down.

I hope they eventually come down. You are right though we all spend crazy money on something....I cannot swallow vortex pumps but have giessman actinics over UVL bulbs...whatever it is we have our vices. A drop to double the T5 lights or MH lights would do it, between energy saving and bulb replacement they would become price comparible. We are going to see some pics of the working lights soon right?

Rafal i bought the AI fixtures and the controller that comes with it can do the things that the PACSUN ones do but youd need to create your own program. Some people have already.

The reason people go to the profilux is that it can control the lights, the pumps, dosers, heaters, reactors, and a whole host of other accessiories. You can order the unit minus their controller its about 100 bucks less.

I love my fixtures and its made in america. Reef builders just posted up a test that the AI fixtures par number are on scale with a 14000k 250 W MH. Readings like that lead me to beleive that when you turn the white bulbs to 50 percent your getting a more 15- 20 K look of a 150 w MH.

you like what you bought and thats great. it would be awsome one day to compare both lamps and see the good and the bad points of each lamp.

ReeferNets said:
Rafal i bought the AI fixtures and the controller that comes with it can do the things that the PACSUN ones do but youd need to create your own program. Some people have already.

The reason people go to the profilux is that it can control the lights, the pumps, dosers, heaters, reactors, and a whole host of other accessiories. You can order the unit minus their controller its about 100 bucks less.

I love my fixtures and its made in america. Reef builders just posted up a test that the AI fixtures par number are on scale with a 14000k 250 W MH. Readings like that lead me to beleive that when you turn the white bulbs to 50 percent your getting a more 15- 20 K look of a 150 w MH.

I think over the next month or so someone with alot of lighting knowledge will be doing a head to head test. Not based on LEDS based on PAR

You guys both have great systems sorta G2. We should get a couple frags exactly the same size of two or three corals and see the growth. Any interest in doing that?

i no doubt that some people have already done that. but PAR tests can be done in very deciving way (not so long ago i was asked to bring PS unit to do some PAR by the guy who services lights of other company)

First of all - you need to ask your self - what is the PAR that is acceptable for corals? when is it not enough or too much? so you need some kind of point of reference from testing MH and/or T5.

second, comparing AI to PS on PAR is pointless. it is like comparing apple to orange and say both are the same because both grow on trees. sure, both are LED lamps, but not build the same way. one is using 3W bulb with 40 degree focus lense and the other uses 1W with 120 degree focus lense.

so one will have absolutely higher PAR reading under the strongly focused light beam, the other will not. but what you gain in PAR reading over small spot, you lose in coverage if you move away from that light beam.

so how do you decide? so what i did, i took a pic from RC showing some PAR test results done on T5 and MH and said to myself - if the lamp i want to buy will be 10% better than what other people show on MH and/or T5 - I will be happy with it.

Personally, I would say the comparison between the two is more like Gala apples to Red Delicious apples. Still an apple, just a different flavor.

At the end of the day, you are looking for PAR for your coral.

Taking readings around the tank plays into that comparison.

Additionally, one unit putting out more PAR than the other does not make it better, since there is a point of saturation where any additional PAR is wasted.

The concern would be if one of the fixtures puts out less PAR than what you want to keep requires.

I suspect as the LED fixtures mature, the continuum of costs will broaden as with any product. The better the light, the more money it will command. (with some variances of course).

I would also anticipate, the "best in breed" today, will not be the "best in breed" two years from now. Thus the cost on the fixture you buy today will be less in two years, and not only because it has been used for two years.

The "best in breed" flavor of the year's price may be comparable from year to year, but I would anticipate the specifics will change.

Finally, I imagine as they gain popularity, the competition will be greater, and this will also play some role in the pricing structure.

In short, maybe the answer to this thread is, not right now.

But I guess that is a personal decision.

cell phone app pics:

cellphone4.jpg

cellphone5.jpg

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Ok Im done looking at DIY and factory made systems for two reasons..1. Don't have the time or knowledge to do a DIY and really don't want to spend the money for something that might not work right for my tank specs..2.No factory made systems are made to fit corner tanks (dont want pendents)So im breaking down and selling my vintage 1946 BSA M20 motorcycle and having Wingo custom make LED's for my tank.. The price he gave me is a bit more then a DIY and about the same or cheaper as a factory made system that will not fit my corner tank

Sid