• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Lighting Frustration

Lostinthedark

NJRC Member
I was the first to order a pair of Ocean Revive S026s when they first came out. I also bought two more to replace a pair of Tao Chinese imports about a year later.The first two became dimmer and dimmer over time until they died. OR was gracious enough to replace them with a new set even though I had them for 18 months. Today I noticed on the second set that half the blues are very dim. Again!
Its very frustrating to have to deal with this on lights that are advertised to last 25 years. I cant even get 2 years out of them.
I have a standard 225. Should I consider T5s? Which one? Do I continue with OR and just get new ones. Or go on Ebay and buy the cheapest light there is since it doesn't seem to make a difference?

Those $80 mars aqua lights on Ebay have been working fine on my tank for over 16 months. The fan died on one, but a quick trip to best buy fixed that real quick.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have a reef breeders photon 48, has been used for about two years and i've noticed no dimming in any of the leds. That said, I will be switching to T5's for my new setup, not because of the fixture, it works great, grows corals, but i've never tried t5 before and my wife wants a tank with less of a blue hue, which i think i can achieve easier with them. I also like the simplicity of it, i'm not even getting a dimmable fixture, just want something that goes on/off and i don't have to touch it.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Did you see my thread about the issues I had with my Apollos.....HERE? I'm wondering if you have the same issue with the 026's you have. By the way, they are manufactured in China.

If you go the Ebay route, I'm extremely delighted with THIS fixture I purchased for $78.....it has gone up to the $83....but still with free shipping. It almost makes these fixtures disposable. You're more than welcome to stop by and see this fixture in action.

It's the middle fixture:

IMG_1122_zpskh9trfuw.jpg

Lostinthedark

NJRC Member
For the price of the Mars unit coupled with the unreliability of Ocean Revive that seems a better way to go.
Are they quiet? My tank is in my living room and any noise from the tank except an occasional gurgle would not be welcome.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
For the price of the Mars unit coupled with the unreliability of Ocean Revive that seems a better way to go.
Are they quiet? My tank is in my living room and any noise from the tank except an occasional gurgle would not be welcome.

I'm willing to bet they have the same fans as the Ocean Revive. So Yes, they are quiet.

I've given up on the ocean revive lights. This seems to be a very common problem occurring with their fixtures. A quick look at r2r and RC with bring up quite a few. All problems seem to be occurring right around 18months give or take.

For me it was the blue channel burning out. They did replace after a good bit of back and fourth but I've since moved on.

Lostinthedark

NJRC Member
If you want to take a road trip to see me (in Howell) id see if i can fix your LED. your in freehold so ...Take a ride over.

Chris, I may just do that. I want to take them down and take a look first and see what they look like.
While reading someone suggested jumping each led until you find a bad one then swap it out. May try that first.

I'm going to the holiday concert tonight at FRHS. (first time out in 3 weeks!) Yes test them but remember you have to put the positive to the positive or even a good led wont work. Tape 2 AA batteries together with a wire off each end and test. I have LEDs to repair with. You could replace what you use later on. I have a pretty good stock. Also have a couple of brand new drivers (backups) that again we could use and you replace later on. I like my Apollo LED lights I can work on them and repair as needed. And I get great SPS growth!

Also if the light was built with basic LEds if one goes out they chain goes out...Better LEds have a wire to allow other lights to stay lit if one goes out.

Lostinthedark

NJRC Member
If you want to take a road trip to see me (in Howell) id see if i can fix your LED. your in freehold so ...Take a ride over.

Chris,
I'd like to take you up on your offer. I'm available Monday, Wednesday and Thursday this week. Let me know when , where and what you need me to bring. I really appreciate the electronics lesson.

Chris,
I'd like to take you up on your offer. I'm available Monday, Wednesday and Thursday this week. Let me know when , where and what you need me to bring. I really appreciate the electronics lesson.
Hey Lost I have 2 300 watt Mars Aqua units on my 150 rubbermaid and they are at the lowest setting and the sps at the bottom look great and great color they are worth the money

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you're going to do the fix on these, I'd also suggest that you check the application of thermal compound between the finned aluminum and the flat aluminum. I believe that was the problem with my Apollos when I lost all my blue LEDs to burnout. I've found the the best bang for the buck on thermal compound is Arctic Silver Ceramique 2. You can get a 25 g syringe for around 6 bucks.

And a +1 for Mars Aqua....I have the 165 and I just took the lenses off. Very happy.