• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Lighting Frustration

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Perhaps we should start a reef LED repair shop.
:)

I'm sorry, but this throws me back to a deja vu moment in 1972. My first year in college, calculators were just coming out. We were not allowed to use them on tests, because it wouldn't be fair to those who didn't have them, so we had to use slide rulers. So when I was ready, I went out and purchased a Texas Instrument SR10 for around 200 dollars. This calculator could only add, subtract, multiply and divide. After about a year it died. So I took it into a repair shop and the guy took the calculator, and while turning it back and forth, stared at the calculator. He finally looked at me, and throw it into the trash can. My mouth dropped open while I stared back, and I said to him, I paid 200 dollars for that. With that, he pointed down into the display counter and pointed to a $9.99 calculator that not only did what the SR10 did, but also did percentages.

The point I'm making is with the Mars Aqua at $78 (I think it's crept up to $83), with free shipping and no tax, how can you compete with doing a repair. As far as this being a profitable business, as Mr. Wonderful would say on Shark Tank, "You're dead to me." For a nice little DIY, it's great....for a business....no way.

10865222_1563719520511003_1676230845_n.jpg

the Reef Breeder LEds have a backup wire built into the diode so that if the led burns out it will still send a current and not have a cascading failure of the rest in the circuit

Lostinthedark

NJRC Member
im not sure. i know ive seen them in a number of places reefbreaders i think has them. your prob looking for 90 degree optics.

Chris,
The Leds I ordered to replace the ones I used came in from ReefBreeders but they never shipped the ones I ordered for myself. If you don't mind, I'm going to fix my light with these and replaceyours when my order comes in. I also received a bunch emails from Ocean Revive as they are now very concerned about my lights that I started several post about them. They say they are going to ship me lenses and fans as well as diodes to get everything repaired.
Thanks again for all your help. Gorgeous tank BTW.

Just a little update on mine. I had a fixture repaired by Ocean Revive. I use that over my sons tank. Last night I went in his room to feed the fish and saw the blue LEDs flickering. Upon closer inspection I could also catch the faint smell of electricity. Needless to say I turned them off. First at the knobs, the whites went off as expected, as for the blues, well only half of them turned off. So turning the switch off, only turns off half of the unit. Oh and one of the fans that was replaced as well by OR stopped working.
Needless to say today I will be haning the ATI T5 that has been waiting for my laziness to wear off.

I am officially done with the LED garbage. And will avoid Ocean Revive at all cost. I recommend everyone else does too.

Lostinthedark

NJRC Member
Just a little update on mine. I had a fixture repaired by Ocean Revive. I use that over my sons tank. Last night I went in his room to feed the fish and saw the blue LEDs flickering. Upon closer inspection I could also catch the faint smell of electricity. Needless to say I turned them off. First at the knobs, the whites went off as expected, as for the blues, well only half of them turned off. So turning the switch off, only turns off half of the unit. Oh and one of the fans that was replaced as well by OR stopped working.
Needless to say today I will be haning the ATI T5 that has been waiting for my laziness to wear off.

I am officially done with the LED garbage. And will avoid Ocean Revive at all cost. I recommend everyone else does too.

I feel your frustration and I am seriously considering the ATI 8x80. Even my wife is encouraging me to look into them as we lost a few of her favorite corals.
I would copy your post above onto their "Apology" thread on R2R just to let others know what is happening. They became very responsive once I mentioned their issue in a few threads but a lot of people joined in, some not even realizing there was an problem.

I already posted on R2R. I would on RC too but I'm banned:(

As far as the ATI. Do it you will not be disappointed. I switched to it and absolutely can not figure out why I didn't do it from the start. I wish I could have gone with the hybrid powermodule but that thing is way out of my wallet.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Wow John, that's a head scratcher. Turning off the unit...that is, supposedly no power, yet a quarter of it is still on.

I've never seen an Ocean Revive up close and personal, so I tried google to see if I could see pictures of the insides. Couldn't find anything, but of the three models I found, they all were run by microprocessors...that is, not on/off knobs that I could see. What model do you have?

Wow John, that's a head scratcher. Turning off the unit...that is, supposedly no power, yet a quarter of it is still on.

I've never seen an Ocean Revive up close and personal, so I tried google to see if I could see pictures of the insides. Couldn't find anything, but of the three models I found, they all were run by microprocessors...that is, not on/off knobs that I could see. What model do you have?

I have the S026. It really is weird. But a blessing nonetheless. I really wanted to complete the switch to t5 and this was the thing to do it. This weekend me and my baseball ball get to have a little fun.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Found the S026......and a picture of the guts.....they have those crazy drivers/power supplies that run both the LED's and the fans....just like the Mars Aqua. Also have those cheap fans....same ones that were in the Apollos that I had to replace. It's still a puzzle why a half of the lights on the same circuit would not turn off. The switches/pots power the drivers, and you would think if the switch/pot is off, the driver gets no juice. Still scratching my head on that one. How could a pot go bad, but still allow half the lights to light...can't be. How can a driver go bad, that's receiving not power, but still light half the lights...can't be. I'm stumped!

IMG_9091_zps977690de.jpg

Last edited:
Chris,
The Leds I ordered to replace the ones I used came in from ReefBreeders but they never shipped the ones I ordered for myself. If you don't mind, I'm going to fix my light with these and replaceyours when my order comes in. I also received a bunch emails from Ocean Revive as they are now very concerned about my lights that I started several post about them. They say they are going to ship me lenses and fans as well as diodes to get everything repaired.
Thanks again for all your help. Gorgeous tank BTW.
No problem Just let me know when they come in. Like to have backup in case How did the other lights come out? Call me

Lostinthedark

NJRC Member
Just finished the light. Looks good. I needed 12 diodes for this one..I re-soldered the fans for good measure. I found 3 that were not working because of the lead corroding.
Thanks for all the guidance on this.

Lostinthedark

NJRC Member
Chris
the Reef Breeder LEds have a backup wire built into the diode so that if the led burns out it will still send a current and not have a cascading failure of the rest in the circuit

Chris,

After much back and forth with Reefbreeders I finally got the order in. Ocean Revive also sent me a bunch of Diodes. Let me know when you would like me to run them over.
Thanks again for the help
Tom