• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Lighting Frustration

Lostinthedark

NJRC Member
Thanks guys. I'm sure if Chris trouble shoots them for me and shows me once I'll be able to take it from there. We'll check the thermal compound also and I'll redo all 4 fixtures if need be. I found it on Amazon for $10 shipped. I appreciate all the help.

Hmm.
If you're going to do the fix on these, I'd also suggest that you check the application of thermal compound between the finned aluminum and the flat aluminum. I believe that was the problem with my Apollos when I lost all my blue LEDs to burnout. I've found the the best bang for the buck on thermal compound is Arctic Silver Ceramique 2. You can get a 25 g syringe for around 6 bucks.

And a +1 for Mars Aqua....I have the 165 and I just took the lenses off. Very happy.
I reused the compound that was preexisting. It doesn't wear out but if you want to pick some up that computer store on 9 might have it. I used a razor blade to scrape a micro thin layer and reattached Working great for almost a year now.

Lostinthedark

NJRC Member
Chris, I can't thank you enough for the Led repair lesson today. I feel very comfortable working on them on my own from now on. I'll order up the parts and get the other one working ASAP.
Thank again
Tom

cool! It's really not too hard to figure out. Order the reef breeder LEDs and finish the other light. How were the other 2 that you didn't bring over?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
THESE are the LEDs I used for my fix. $20 for 50 LEDs.....can't beat it (I think).

And THIS is the thermal compound I used between aluminum cooling plates.

Lostinthedark

NJRC Member
Wow! Paul thats a great price. Are they the same quality as Reefbreeders? Chris showed me where the Reefbreeder ones complete the circuit even if they blow.I already ordered from ReefBreeders but i'll look at these next time. (Yes, I"m sure there will be a next time)

Cool
Paul I don't see that those LEDS have the extra wire to protect from overload if the led burns out..Am I missing something?
And that is very cool that you saw the fan corrosion.
how are the other lights?
Did you did a way to fix the optics in place?

Lostinthedark

NJRC Member
I held the lenses in place by putting a pinpoint dab of silicon on them. Worked great and should come off easy enough. I there a place to order lenses and holders? Are they universal also?

Mouse over image to zoom
  • s-l64.jpg
  • s-l64.jpg
  • s-l64.jpg
  • s-l64.jpg
  • s-l64.jpg
  • s-l64.jpg
  • s-l64.jpg
  • s-l64.jpg
  • s-l64.jpg
  • s-l64.jpg
  • s-l64.jpg
  • s-l64.jpg
  • s-l64.jpg
  • s-l64.jpg
  • s-l64.jpg
  • s-l64.jpg
  • s-l64.jpg
  • s-l64.jpg
Have one to sell? Sell now
Details about 20*14mm 5°-120° Lens case stand holder Transparent For 1w 3w 5w LED Multi-angle

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Wow! Paul thats a great price. Are they the same quality as Reefbreeders? Chris showed me where the Reefbreeder ones complete the circuit even if they blow.I already ordered from ReefBreeders but i'll look at these next time. (Yes, I"m sure there will be a next time)

Quality.....I don't know. Going on more than eight months and everything is still good. So I can't complain.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Cool
Paul I don't see that those LEDS have the extra wire to protect from overload if the led burns out..Am I missing something?
And that is very cool that you saw the fan corrosion.
how are the other lights?
Did you did a way to fix the optics in place?

Not sure I know what you mean by extra wire.....these are simply LED beads....the common LED in Chinese fixtures.

Also not sure what you are questioning me about optics. I pull the lenses off my Mars Aqua. I think it had 90 degree optics, which I've since promised to Paul B. They simply friction fit over the bead.