• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Looking for opinions on my experience with NYAquatic

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanpal

NJRC Member
hey everyone. i have this exact same post on RC but have yet to receive any replies. i didn't want to post on multiple forums, but i guess the more feedback the better. here is the original post, please excuse the length.

I went to post this on manhattan reef forums since it seems it would be most appropriate there. I'm not sure it will be accepted since I do not have any posts on that forum. I would like to hear feedback so hopefully I can get some here. This is a cut and past of the original post:

----Original Post----

Hello members. Being a member of various forums, I understand how users can make a screen name real quick and bad mouth other members/companies. I myself am a business owner, so I also understand the impact a negative post can have. I'm asking that you don't confuse this with an angry post by a disgruntled customer attacking one of the members on this board. I'm posting here because I believe many members on this forum make purchases from this vender and should be aware of the situation I have encountered. I will do my best to present the facts without being biased. I apologize ahead of time if this offends any members, and I do not wish to cause any turmoil. I'm looking for feedback to see if I'm the one at fault here. If I am correct, I hope this has enough impact for the vender to change their business practices for the good of the customers and fish that will no longer have to perish.

My story:

I received made my first order from nyaquatic in November of 2007. I purchased some snails and lionfish. Everything went ok, I still have the lionfish till this day. Dec 28 2007 I received my second order from nyaquatic which consisted of a long nose butterfly and a dwarf flame angel. The LNB showed up with nip marks on the tail. Four days later the dwarf angel died and the lnb showed signs of ich. A few days later the LNB died as well. Mike offered me credit, but I didn't exercise the credit since I did not want to pay shipping and I felt uneasy as to how the fish arrived.

Moving forward, I noticed nyaquatic had a sale on lyretails. I figured I would give it another shot to support the local venders. As a side note...I had a bad experience with coral vender in the past. I recently gave it another shot with them and was very pleased. I figured I would do the same with nyaquatic.

On januray 13 2010 I made another order with nyaquatic of the following fish:

1 Yellow Watchman Goby
1 Niger Trigger (3")
1 Red Angler Fish-4"
1 Copperband Butterfly
1 Cleaner Shrimp-XL
4 Lyretail Anthias-Female
1 Dispar Anthias
1 Dogface Pufferfish 3-4"
1 Naso Tang 3"
2 Firefish

Upon arrival all the fish looked ok except the naso tang which had "stress spots". I immediately emailed Mike and he said he should be fine after acclimating. I didn't want to put him in the same tank as the rest if he had ich. My QT tank setup is as follows:

55 gal tank with a maxijet, airstone, pvc, and sponge that was in the sump of my main tank
2 10 gal tanks with 404 mini jet, airstone, and pvc

The trigger went in one 10 gal
The angler went in the other 10 gal
All other fish went into the 55 gal tank.

The naso died in 3 days. ("store credit was issued")
The copperband did not eat and showed a bruise mark on this same day. He was rubbing up against the pvc scratching similar to ich.
On the 4th day the copperband perished and so did the angler. ("credit was issued for the copperband").
After a few emails back and forth, credit was issued for all three, but Mike wanted to know about my QT setup (understandable). I explained that I wished to receive a refund instead of store credit. I did not want to pay more money just to encounter the same scenario. After debating back and forth about my QT setup (no filtration on the 10gal tanks), we agreed I would make a post on reefcentral and if consensus was that it was my fault, I would not receive the refund (you can see the post here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1778726 ). This is where the problem lies and the reason for this post. (Please bare with me, I know it's a long post).

I wrote my post without trying to sway any members in any particular direction. The first post was by member "mjsfish", which suggested using a HOB filter (ok that's one member that support nyaquatic's position). Further down the page "Bob 1000" makes a post about that supports nyaquatic side. Being semi skeptical I decided to investigate a little bit.

"Bob 1000" location on reef central shows staten island. NYaquatic is in also in NY...so I figured I would search the manhattan reef forums. It seems Bob 1000 is a vender was well and has made posts on the same threads as Michael. (Obviously this isn't enough information to prove any "funny business"). Then another post by mjsfish which seems to stress the use of a filter (our argument for a refund and basis for a post). I decide to search posts made by mjsfish on reefcentral. 6 of the 15 posts were making references to NYaquatic (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/se...earchid=863530). This raised some red flags to me, but I wanted to investigate a little further. As I look at the screen name it seems coincidental that the letter match Michael Stern of nyaquatic. I decide to do a whitpages search on the address of nyaquatic to see if it gives his middle name (http://www.whitepages.com/search/Fin...Rochelle,+NY). Low and behold Michael J Stern is displayed.

It's obvious how unfair this would be for my behalf. I emailed Mike asking him if this was his screen name to which he denied. Enlight of what I've researched, I don't feel this is all too coincidental. From the time I've spent emailing Mike and writing this post, it has outweighed the money lost in fish, however, I feel (provided I'm correct) that these efforts will be for the benefit of others and this hobby. I have stated above that I am also a business owner. I feel that if Michael did in fact act unethically, then information like this should be known to correct these poor business practices. This is beyond the debate of my QT setup. If this is how Michael does business, it is plain wrong, and I don't think any other hobbyists should be subjected to this type of service and treatment.

If this post requires, I will be more than happy to post the exact email conversation between michael and myself to prove there are no false statements above. (I do not want to violate any forum rules so it may be restricted). Furthermore, if I am wrong in my assumptions, and the above seems completely outlandish I will apologize to NYAquatic and admit complete fault.

On that note, I would love to hear some insite from members.

Thank you,
Ryan

---end original post---

It's late, so forgive me, I'll reply in more depth tomorrow.
I just wanted to make a couple of quick points.

1) I am not a member of RC. Haven't been for years. But I guess the Kennedy assasination still gets play time.
2) In his description of the events, he left out one really nasty, IMO, point. When his fish started to die, we exchanged numerous emails. When we began discussing his QT practices (please note that his 10 gallon QTs have no biological filtration at all, apparently my email went down for a couple of hours. (the next day, both my email and website were down for hours. I guess this was the beginning). 1 of his emails got bounced. Instead of waiting, like a normal person, or calling me, he files a complaint seeking a refund via Paypal. Now, I offer credit for DAAs, even in cases like this when the customer is likely to blame. My policy is clear that DAAs do not get refunds. What possibly possessed him, other than total dishonesty, to seek a refund from Paypal.

I'll continue this tomorrow.

ryanpal

NJRC Member
nyaquatic said:
It's late, so forgive me, I'll reply in more depth tomorrow.
I just wanted to make a couple of quick points.

1) I am not a member of RC. Haven't been for years. But I guess the Kennedy assasination still gets play time.
2) In his description of the events, he left out one really nasty, IMO, point. When his fish started to die, we exchanged numerous emails. When we began discussing his QT practices (please note that his 10 gallon QTs have no biological filtration at all, apparently my email went down for a couple of hours. (the next day, both my email and website were down for hours. I guess this was the beginning). 1 of his emails got bounced. Instead of waiting, like a normal person, or calling me, he files a complaint seeking a refund via Paypal. Now, I offer credit for DAAs, even in cases like this when the customer is likely to blame. My policy is clear that DAAs do not get refunds. What possibly possessed him, other than total dishonesty, to seek a refund from Paypal.

I'll continue this tomorrow.

In response to #2:
-If you see my other post asking for feedback about my QT tank setup, I do not mention any filtration is being used.
-Midway through our emails of him denying my refund, my emails were rejected. I felt I had no other choice but to escalate the matter to paypal.
-What good is credit when you will receive more poor quality fish? I decided to give it a second chance with NYAquatic...shame on me.
-Where in your policy does it state the required QT setup?

We can continue the debate on public forums about who's right and wrong about the fish perishing. I would be MORE than happy to paste every email word for word. This however, is no longer an issue of my QT debate. It's an issue of how you handled the situation and how you acted completely unfair in our agreement.

To all other members, I received a PM about this post. In this PM it mentions that Bob 1000 was (possibly still is) an employee/partner of NYAquatic. This is another example of how things do not add up.

Ryan

If in fact they are actually his screen names and this is where he asked you to ask for advice/judgement than responded in his favor it was a job on finding out by you . And the end to the story as far as I would be concerned,out him and get your money back . But until this is pr oven one way or the other its just a really big coincidence(screen named initials,address match ???)

I would also not of agreed to have other people's opinions be the judge,just because a majority agree does not make it correct or vice/versa. This was an issue between the two of you and should of been decided by such .

I also agree with you that a new fish should not have to be quarantined for health reasons when you first receive it. You would never buy a fish from a store that you knew you had to treat when you brought it home. A good reason to buy from a trusty lfs.

Since he was willing to give a credit at first I probably would of given him a day to respond then followed with a phone call . If an agreement could not be reached I would of done like you did and went to PayPal.

I can never figure out why people would have fish delivered . Too many risks that are out of the vendor's hands. It can be the best vendor at the best prices but once it leaves there hands its safety and health is unknown and uncontrolled . I know some of the specials are tempting but when you take shipping charges and the risks into it the savings are not that great . I don't like to pay more for a fish but I do like to see it and see it eat before it comes home with me .

Good Luck and keep us informed .

The big point he seems to keep ignoring is that he can't decide he wants a refund, when my policy explicitly offers refunds for DOAs, credit for DAA. Just because he decides after he loses some fish that he doesn't like my store's policy, doesn't mean he gets to change it.

Could I have made an exception for him. Sure. But why would I?

1) the fish deaths were his fault. I fully believe this with all my heart. You cannot QT fish with no biological filtration.
2) He also left out the part where he threatened me with bad PR if I didn't give him a refund.(I'm happy to post his email). I don't respond well to threats.
3) he was a total jerk to file a claim with Paypal in the middle of our discussions. You cannot do that. Just because he decided he wanted to change my rules doesn't give him the right to file a fraudulent claim with Paypal. Yes, it was fraud. He had no good faith basis for requesting the refund.

So given all this, why should I go above and beyond my stated policy to give him a refund?

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I can't speak for or against anyone in this matter since we do not have full disclosure on either side, we don;t have the e-mails or any ability to hear any phone conversations, etc.

However...I have seen/read many (over 4) threads in different forums/clubs regarding situations that are pretty much the same with this company when it comes to their business practices, one in particular from a good friend of mine who is a very experienced reefer and lost his fish and also had his quarentine set-up blamed for the death. Also the same comaplint about poor comunication, and also trying to use other people to be the "judge" of the situation...coincidence? I don't know, but enough for me to never do business with this company...that's my right and choice...

Rod

13 fish in one day your bound to have a major loss.

Some LFS bring in 13 fish in a shipment and lose 70 percent of them.

If your going to QT you cant qt in a tank with just a power head and a sponge and most likely the sponge was filled with debris and poop that could have caused a spike.

Where did the water come from for the QT?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Two sides to every story yadda yadda yadda, but when I look at the other thread and see people like jsantoli, dnov99, Sandee, and adesmione can't keep their fish alive then I am probably going to shy away from the store.

ryanpal

NJRC Member
nyaquatic said:
The big point he seems to keep ignoring is that he can't decide he wants a refund, when my policy explicitly offers refunds for DOAs, credit for DAA. Just because he decides after he loses some fish that he doesn't like my store's policy, doesn't mean he gets to change it.

Could I have made an exception for him. Sure. But why would I?

1) the fish deaths were his fault. I fully believe this with all my heart. You cannot QT fish with no biological filtration.
2) He also left out the part where he threatened me with bad PR if I didn't give him a refund.(I'm happy to post his email). I don't respond well to threats.
3) he was a total jerk to file a claim with Paypal in the middle of our discussions. You cannot do that. Just because he decided he wanted to change my rules doesn't give him the right to file a fraudulent claim with Paypal. Yes, it was fraud. He had no good faith basis for requesting the refund.

So given all this, why should I go above and beyond my stated policy to give him a refund?

I will address these points, but I keep stating that this is no longer an issue of blaming who's right or wrong with the QT tank but how you handled the situation after.

1. The 55 gal has a sponge from my sump for filtration. The 10 gal tanks do not. I syphon out fish debris and did a water change the 2nd day. The water is the same temp and salinity that resides in the 10 gal. The water was made fresh right before fish arrivals. I even emailed Michael to match the same salinity he had in his tanks.

2. Once again, you confused my email with threatening you. I was sharing my 2 cents about a hypothetical scenario of what someone in my shoes would do. It's obvious you care little about "word of mouth". This means a lot to my business.

For the members here's what he's referring to:

"From one business owner to another, word of mouth means everything. I myself have gone above and beyond to keep good standing with my clients. I do not see you have the same work ethics. Let me ask you, is it worth $150 to have a disgruntled customer share their experience with all members of their club, other forums, and a filed complaint with the BBB? All I'm asking is for a quick resolution to this. I would like to be refunded my money, as you already know, so we can avoid the above and escalating the claims in paypal.

So I'm asking you, as a gentelman, please credit my paypal account so we can both move forward."

3. If my emails were being blocked, I took the next step to quickly resolve the situation. You mentioned I should have called, ok I'll give you that, but given this is the second time this has happened...how would the result be any different? My first order in 07 consisted of a LNB that arrived with nipping on the tail. Who sends fish like that? Reading your old email, you didn't "notice this". If you didn't notice this, I wonder what other things you happen to "not notice".

I'm finding more and more posts about similar situations. Some of which are posted in this thread. I'm sure there are more members who've had similar experiences but haven't taken the time to post like I have. If this means it will save some members from going through the same thing...as well as less fish perishing...then my efforts went to good use.

Ryan

ryanpal

NJRC Member
ReeferNets said:

If your going to QT you cant qt in a tank with just a power head and a sponge and most likely the sponge was filled with debris and poop that could have caused a spike.

Where did the water come from for the QT?

i respectfully disagree. i've made large fish purchases from live aquaria with no fish loss. some of which were semi delicate (sailfin tang, dwarf angel fish) and have had no fish loss.

to clarify, the sponge was in the 55 gal, not the 10 gal. the 10 gal held the angler. the other 10 gal held the trigger. the trigger is still alive, the angler died after a few days.

the water from the QT was made a day or two before the fish arrival. reef crystals is the salt used.

i also disagree i worked at wholesalers and had 15+ boxes of saltwater fish with very few doas.if the fish are healthy and packed properly u will have low doas. unhealthy fish will die quick the stress of shipping does em in.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
ReeferNets said:
I'm not saying its definitely going to happen but its a possibility.

NO ONE can insure LIFE.

What about LIFE insurance? ;D

13 fish in one day your bound to have a major loss
Agree not for sure but still likely.
Just because he decides after he loses some fish that he doesn't like my store's policy, doesn't mean he gets to change it.
Agree

Personally I think that you can buy fish via direct delivery, but, for more or less a LFS I think it is not really wise. Why because your adding additional stress to the fish from capture, to wholesaler, to LFS to you. At least when you are buying from a major supplier say BlueZoo you are eliminating one transfer. That being said I like to buy from the LFS directly so that I can see the fish, I am a huge PITA and really particular as many of you know.

On the other side I agree with the following.
3. If my emails were being blocked, I took the next step to quickly resolve the situation. You mentioned I should have called, OK I'll give you that, but given this is the second time this has happened...how would the result be any different? My first order in 07 consisted of a LNB that arrived with nipping on the tail. Who sends fish like that? Reading your old email, you didn't "notice this". If you didn't notice this, I wonder what other things you happen to "not notice".

I'm finding more and more posts about similar situations. Some of which are posted in this thread. I'm sure there are more members who've had similar experiences but haven't taken the time to post like I have. If this means it will save some members from going through the same thing...as well as less fish perishing...then my efforts went to good use.

My final thought is while you may be in the right ryanpal, your lack of filtration on the one fish and his stated policy would say that your DAA is likely to result in a store credit. I would suggest that you go and pick up whatever you buy and NYA should make every effort to please you when you go. This is my very humble opinion.

Sorry to hear about this...

But the old adage of fool me once shame on you. fool me twice - well shame on you for dealing with this guy.

Everyone should just stay far far away from this seller.

Oh and I also agree with qwik and jrwohler. With so many excellent LFS resources in NJ - I am (especially reading threads like this) disinclined to using online places for livestock.

Hawkeye said:

But the old adage of fool me once shame on you. fool me twice - well shame on you for dealing with this guy.

This really stinks to read this thread about this retailer. I was looking forward to visit them with the family when the weather got a little warmer. I don't know now.

ryanpal

NJRC Member
Hawkeye said:

I do blame myself for round 2. As I mentioned in my original post, I had a bad experience with another vender (they are actually sponsors on this site). It left a bad taste in my mouth but I figured I would give it another shot. I'm all about supporting sponsors and the local fish stores. Well the recent purchase was a better experience and the corals received were great. I will make purchases from this vender in the future. I figured I would do the same with NYAquatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.