• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Looking for opinions on my experience with NYAquatic

Status
Not open for further replies.
ricwilli said:
This really stinks to read this thread about this retailer. I was looking forward to visit them with the family when the weather got a little warmer. I don't know now.
it's not a brick and mortar place. By all means stop by - it's a garage based on what joe said. Again I'm all in favor of SEEING my purchases before paying.

hi---i've read and read all the posts and this is JUST my OPINION---its not to blame,criticize, chastise,ridicule or badmouth any one or any vendor...

here's the bottome line----and its REALLY ALL that matters !!!!
YOU and only YOU and NYAquatic and ONLY NYAquatic can work this out...period

asking for and getting other opinions is useless---everyone has an opinion as to what and how they read whats posted
i'm sure everyone QT's there fish/corals different ways--so whose right and whose wrong? i myself would like to find the RIGHT way to QT
no one was there when you bought the fish, no one is there when NYAquatic gets delivery of the fish, no one was there when you QT'ed your fish, no one is there is see how NYAquatic takes care of the fish---so whats the point of asking for others opinions?

continuing this back and forth is'nt getting things straightened out for either of you
yes, your fish are dead, you might loose money, your not happy
yes, NYAquatic may get some bad things said about them, but time will pass and NYAquatic will still be selling fish

so, and this might be a hard thing to accept ,but, settle this between the both of you and move forward...
and possibly buy your future fish from sponsors

again---this is just my opinion , but until the both of you come to an agreement, this thread will go on and on and on---
i'd rather spend my time LOOKING at my fish...

steve

Well,
I read the reviews. I read peoples experiences. One day I saw baby tangs for 19.99 and jumped on it. 15 Bucks total for Saturday Shipping (FedEx Home Delivery) was fine as well. I ordered 3 tangs but he only had 2 baby tangs available and 1 medium so that is what he sent me. The box arrived beat up and wet no-doubt due to FedEx and I always though that the bags inside of the box would be packed in such a way that the bags would not move. After opening the box there were pieces of Styrofoam and news-paper inside but honestly it seemed the bags would just move around inside. I tested this after taking pictures of the box for Mike to show how It arrived unopened. I opened the bag and started my acclimation process of drip for probably close to 3 hours in pitch darkness. Each fish was acclimated in their own 5 gal bucket in darkness. They were added shortly to a 55 gallon for QT. One died in acclimation and the other two didn't look too good. The other one died after about a week and the medium one is alive and well to this day. I was issued 20 dollars credit for the one that died in acclimation. I have not used the store credit yet But I plan to. I know I would be taking a risk again but I'm hoping my second time around will be better and that I can complete my transaction with Mike. Till then I will stick to buying my fish from Red Sand in Dunellen.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm not really sure I understand why a non-sponsor vendor is being allowed to post using his commercial name. I realize he's trying to defend himself and don't really care either way in the argument but every post is an advertisement (albeit a bad one). Right or wrong, he's a non-member, non-sponsor commercial vendor advertising his website in his avatar tag and his business via his user name. 

ryanpal

NJRC Member
hurtback said:
hi---i've read and read all the posts and this is JUST my OPINION---its not to blame,criticize, chastise,ridicule or badmouth any one or any vendor...

here's the bottome line----and its REALLY ALL that matters !!!!
YOU and only YOU and NYAquatic and ONLY NYAquatic can work this out...period

asking for and getting other opinions is useless---everyone has an opinion as to what and how they read whats posted
i'm sure everyone QT's there fish/corals different ways--so whose right and whose wrong? i myself would like to find the RIGHT way to QT
no one was there when you bought the fish, no one is there when NYAquatic gets delivery of the fish, no one was there when you QT'ed your fish, no one is there is see how NYAquatic takes care of the fish---so whats the point of asking for others opinions?

continuing this back and forth is'nt getting things straightened out for either of you
yes, your fish are dead, you might loose money, your not happy
yes, NYAquatic may get some bad things said about them, but time will pass and NYAquatic will still be selling fish

so, and this might be a hard thing to accept ,but, settle this between the both of you and move forward...
and possibly buy your future fish from sponsors

again---this is just my opinion , but until the both of you come to an agreement, this thread will go on and on and on---
i'd rather spend my time LOOKING at my fish...

steve

steve, i see what you're saying, however, we were unable to come to a resolution. there is a lot of talk about the QT tank and who is at fault. the other issue that is being overlooked, and the reason for this particular post, is how it was handled after. if a business is practicing poor habits, one way or another, they should be forced to change these poor habits or risk losing business. you will notice that others have shared their experiences with nyaquatics that are similar to mine (i'm not the only one). i believe it should be known if a particular vender/seller is hurting our hobby.

a joke was made by mike about the kennedy assassination. if you look at the posts by mjsfish and the other information i've provided, it seems a little too coincidental no? i don't reefcentral would disclose the information, but if they provided the IP of the post from that account it could prove my statements.

my debate with michael is over. i will take that up with paypal. i've presented the issue for feedback from members. as you can tell, other members have had poor experiences. if everyone kept quiet, then there's no reason for nyaquatic to change anything. if michael, which i believe, isn't running ethical business, i hope this post (and similar posts) are enough for him to modify his business practices for the good of the hobby, the buyers, the fish...as well as himself.

Thanks RichT for pointing out he is not even a sponsor,didn't catch that until now . I try to give as much of my business to the store owners who contribute to our club.

And I also agree with hurtback . You are not going to get it resolved here. But after it all settles please post the outcome so we can all make our own decision on this vendor.

I would just like to get the RC screen name thingy straightened out . If it is in fact one and the same I find this just way too funny or is that sad . Read the post and it is actually comical if it is the same person,if its not whoever it is has to be the biggest nyaquatics fan .

I hope you do get your money back,seems like the "smart" business decision to me .

ryanpal

NJRC Member
qwik said:
Thanks RichT for pointing out he is not even a sponsor,didn't catch that until now . I try to give as much of my business to the store owners who contribute to our club.

And I also agree with hurtback . You are not going to get it resolved here. But after it all settles please post the outcome so we can all make our own decision on this vendor.

I would just like to get the RC screen name thingy straightened out . If it is in fact one and the same I find this just way too funny or is that sad . Read the post and it is actually comical if it is the same person,if its not whoever it is has to be the biggest nyaquatics fan .

I hope you do get your money back,seems like the "smart" business decision to me .

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I believe so strongly that this was indeed shady behavior on Michaels behalf, that if I'm proved wrong, he can take my credit and give/donate/whatever to anyone or company that he decides.

When I was going back and forth with him there was a guy named vangoghfish or something like that and he posted up all these replies how good nyaquatics was. That guy had to work for him or be a family member or something because this guys business practice is terrible. I learned my lesson and will NEVER give him my money again

Not to throw a wrench into this but i have bought stuff from Mike and NY aquatics and guess what none of it died. Ive had no problems with him and some of stuff i got was clownfish that dont ship well.

MNAT i mean in animals, and insurance companies dont insure that your going to live, they insure that your going to die and that they will give your family money. Most times they hope your live long enough to pay them more then they pay out

Take out a life insurance policy see how many times they talk about your living versus how many times talk about dying.

ryanpal

NJRC Member
ReeferNets said:
Not to throw a wrench into this but i have bought stuff from Mike and NY aquatics and guess what none of it died. Ive had no problems with him and some of stuff i got was clownfish that dont ship well.

MNAT i mean in animals, and insurance companies dont insure that your going to live, they insure that your going to die and that they will give your family money. Most times they hope your live long enough to pay them more then they pay out

Take out a life insurance policy see how many times they talk about your living versus how many times talk about dying.

jim,

i'm glad you had better luck that i have.

in my opinion you can tell the difference between a good business and a bad business, not by the way they handle things when everyhing goes right, but how they handle things when everything goes wrong. if michael believed so strongly about the dead fish being my fault, he would not have contaminated the thread of RC. this says a many things about the type of business owner and person he is.

never bought anything from NYAquatics.

but I do not know how many of you would buy 14 fish at once and put them into uncycled and unfiltered tanks and expect them to live. with all do respect to everyone - but please be fair here for a second.

since tanks were not watched for any spikes of amonia, nitrate, nitrite, ph etc - I am shocked that he offered you even a store credit.

I would like to see how many of you would buy 14 fish at ONCE and put them in uncycled and unfiltered tank?

How would you react if someone would make a post on NJReefers like this one: - "hey, I bough 50g tank 3 days ago, put IO salt, air pump, heater, pvc and maxi jet and after 7 days my 14 fish died, i did water changes every 2-3 days. - please help, I dont know what i did wrong."

what would you tell that person if you could see that kind of post on here and he was unknown to all of you? how would you react? would it be fair to blame the person who sold the fish or the person who bougt it. how would you react to that kind of post?

Have you ever seen vendors from here having 14 fish in ONE tank? - I have not seen 14 fish in any of Dr Jim QT tanks and I believe he has 40g breeders or any of the stores I visit like OGII, AO, AF. 5-6-7 fish max per each tank.

PS

I do not have QT tank myself and I drive 2hrs to Dr. Jim to buy fish from him or buy fish from Domboski who also quarantines his fish before selling.

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
I bought moorish Idols and a Regal Angel from Mike and they arrived in tip top shape,they looked clean and fat super amount of energy and they started to feed within minutes of being added to the QT system.Ever see an idol dance for of all things flake food?I have the ones I got from him.
I'm sad to say I had to sell these fish when I sold my 120 but when I do a large tank again I will repurchase both these fish from Mike.
Ryan I hope you guys can get this resolved because Mike is a good person.

ryanpal

NJRC Member
rafal07013 said:
never bought anything from NYAquatics.

but I do not know how many of you would buy 14 fish at once and put them into uncycled and unfiltered tanks and expect them to live. with all do respect to everyone - but please be fair here for a second.

since tanks were not watched for any spikes of amonia, nitrate, nitrite, ph etc - I am shocked that he offered you even a store credit.

I would like to see how many of you would buy 14 fish at ONCE and put them in uncycled and unfiltered tank?

How would you react if someone would make a post on NJReefers like this one: - "hey, I bough 50g tank 3 days ago, put IO salt, air pump, heater, pvc and maxi jet and after 7 days my 14 fish died, i did water changes every 2-3 days. - please help, I dont know what i did wrong."

what would you tell that person if you could see that kind of post on here and he was unknown to all of you? how would you react? would it be fair to blame the person who sold the fish or the person who bougt it. how would you react to that kind of post?

Have you ever seen vendors from here having 14 fish in ONE tank? - I have not seen 14 fish in any of Dr Jim QT tanks and I believe he has 40g breeders or any of the stores I visit like OGII, AO, AF. 5-6-7 fish max per each tank.

PS

I do not have QT tank myself and I drive 2hrs to Dr. Jim to buy fish from him or buy fish from Domboski who also quarantines his fish before selling.

rafal,

let me clarify any discrepancies above... there are 3 tanks involved. one 55 gal, two 10 gal tanks. trigger in one 10 gal, angler in the other 10 gal, the other fish in the 55 gal (most of the fish in the 55 gal were small). the 10 gal tanks do not have the filtration sponge etc. the 55 gal has a sponge from my sump of my display tank.

again, the debate in this thread is not about my QT setup. the debate is the actions by michael that followed.

maybe this thread SHOULD BE CLOSED and lets get back to talking about how to and what's involved etc. etc. with QT'ing our fish/corals...
its just going on and on and nothing is being resolved
steve

what actions you want him to take when you put 14 fish into 10g, 10g, and 55g uncycled, unfiltered, not checking any measures of amonia, nitrate or nitrite etc, etc.

and if you blame a vendor for your own negligence towards living animals - fine with me. I would get your point if you would say it came in poor packing, not heat pack, poor condition upon arrival, not eating, hale, not this or that. But you said fish were fine.

do you see the problem here? I am not sure if you bought fish from any other vendor on here and put them in the same situation would survive. I bet that if I would login here as JoeSmith and wrote:

"I bought 55g tank that has heater, maxi jet and some pvc pipe and airstone and after 3 days and i put in 12 fish - i did water changes every 2-3 days but after a week all my fish died. Please help. i dont know what i did wrong."

What would you say to that guy? how would you react? just answer this hypothetical question - what would you say to that guy?

I am sorry to break the news but it is a miracle that any fish survived in an uncycled and unfiltered tank or tanks. I just never seen or heard about a situation where someone buys 14 fish at once and expects them to survive without cycling and filtering tank or tanks.

And if you think that I am that way off on it - go on MR and put this situation as I described - with a sponge or without and see what other people will tell you if you ask why your fish died.

rafal,

let me clarify any discrepancies above... there are 3 tanks involved. one 55 gal, two 10 gal tanks. trigger in one 10 gal, angler in the other 10 gal, the other fish in the 55 gal (most of the fish in the 55 gal were small). the 10 gal tanks do not have the filtration sponge etc. the 55 gal has a sponge from my sump of my display tank.

again, the debate in this thread is not about my QT setup. the debate is the actions by michael that followed.
[/quote]

ryanpal

NJRC Member
rafal07013 said:
what actions you want him to take when you put 14 fish into 10g, 10g, and 55g uncycled, unfiltered, not checking any measures of amonia, nitrate or nitrite etc, etc.

and if you blame a vendor for your own negligence towards living animals - fine with me. I would get your point if you would say it came in poor packing, not heat pack, poor condition upon arrival, not eating, hale, not this or that. But you said fish were fine.

do you see the problem here? I am not sure if you bought fish from any other vendor on here and put them in the same situation would survive. I bet that if I would login here as JoeSmith and wrote:

"I bought 55g tank that has heater, maxi jet and some pvc pipe and airstone and after 3 days and i put in 12 fish - i did water changes every 2-3 days but after a week all my fish died. Please help. i dont know what i did wrong."

What would you say to that guy? how would you react? just answer this hypothetical question - what would you say to that guy?

I am sorry to break the news but it is a miracle that any fish survived in an uncycled and unfiltered tank or tanks. I just never seen or heard about a situation where someone buys 14 fish at once and expects them to survive without cycling and filtering tank or tanks.

And if you think that I am that way off on it - go on MR and put this situation as I described - with a sponge or without and see what other people will tell you if you ask why your fish died.

rafal,

rafal,

-the fish didn't die within a week, they died in a few days.
-i used the same setup with live aquaria fish. no fish loss...who knows maybe liveaquaria fish are special.

anyway, let's say i'm 100% wrong. let's say i'm 100% at fault for the death of the fish.

why did michael feel it was necessary to sway the RC post in his favor?

what does this say about michael? we had an agreement. i didn't run here and ask the members on this forum side with me. read the RC post, i didn't even try to sway RC members to agree with me. i believe his actions speak volumes.

I will surprise you and I will say that I think you got him on RC based on what you wrote and I think thats him. thats my private opinion.

but as far as fish going out in 2-3-4-5 or 7 days --- that is just irrelevent to me because I do not believe fish had any chance to survive in conditions as you described. I have never seen on NJReefers any one trying to QT 14 fish at once without having tank or tanks without filtration and being not cycled.

rafal07013 said:
...And if you think that I am that way off on it - go on MR and put this situation as I described - with a sponge or without and see what other people will tell you if you ask why your fish died.

I think that's what started these threads. Ryan & NY Aquatic agreed to post the situation on RC and see what others thought. If people disagreed with the QT setup then no refund would be given. If people felt the QT setup was fine then NY Aquatic would owe Ryan a refund.
The problem started when Ryan posted the situation on RC and a "member" mjsfish and Bob 1000 (an employee of NY Aquatic) imediately posted in the thread stating that the QT setup was the problem. Therfore corupting the agreement they had.

ryanpal

NJRC Member
rafal07013 said:
I will surprise you and I will say that I think you got him on RC based on what you wrote and I think thats him. thats my private opinion.

but as far as fish going out in 2-3-4-5 or 7 days --- that is just irrelevent to me because I do not believe fish had any chance to survive in conditions as you described. I have never seen on NJReefers any one trying to QT 14 fish at once without having tank or tanks without filtration and being not cycled.

i appreciate your honesty.

i missed this part "unfiltered, not checking any measures of amonia, nitrate or nitrite etc, etc."
the 55 gal has a sponge from my sump. and i also did check nitrates. the API test kit shows 2.5 (in between there yellow 0 and slightly orange 5ppm)

as far as the fish. it's 13 fish. 11 were in the 55 gal...as i mentioned before most were pretty small.

Status
Not open for further replies.