• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Max's Red Sea Reefer 170. (A Grand Journey of Discovery, Aggravation, and General Buffoonery).

Status
Not open for further replies.

horseplay

NJRC Member
Good choice on the tank. The red sea tanks are so slick. Can't wait to see it's setup.

I would remove the mat. 1. It's ugly. 2. Water trapped underneath your floor is ruined. Just put a couple of towels around the tank when you work on it you will be fine.

Good choice on the tank. The red sea tanks are so slick. Can't wait to see it's setup.

I would remove the mat. 1. It's ugly. 2. Water trapped underneath your floor is ruined. Just put a couple of towels around the tank when you work on it you will be fine.

Anyone else agree with this? I'd rather make these kind of adjustments before the tank is filled. I put the mat down more so the tank doesn't indent the floor and also if I need to shim it will conceal that and for small water splashes.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Water will eventually hit the floor, and all that mat is going to do is hold it there for much long than if it was just a hard floor. It can cause warpage or rot on the floor. If you are worried about indents, those little felt pieces that they use for chairs might help a bit, but i would just let it rest on the floor honestly.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I am in agreement of the masses. The mat opens up issues such as water, dirt, tripping, etc... Your better off with what @art13 suggested if your concerned about the wood floor. Just don't get those 'sliders' or you might send your tank sliding across the room lol

Aaaand due to popular demand.....
4db005ae7f17dfd8c002c940fec9e92c.jpg

Kids i have a question. I am trying to justify a kessil a360 and before I place the order button and cry a little... Is there any cheaper alternatives that I can use that will look good on a rimless tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
It may not be cheaper but I would also look into t5's for the tank. I prefer them to led any day. But it's all personally preference.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Kids i have a question. I am trying to justify a kessil a360 and before I place the order button and cry a little... Is there any cheaper alternatives that I can use that will look good on a rimless tank?

this really depends on what you plan on keeping in the tank, will you be SPS dominant or LPS/Mixed?

I love Kessils, they are awesome lights BUT they are not the best in terms of coverage especially when dealing with SPS - The single point light is awesome and creates beautiful ripples of light but will create a ton of shadows which SPS are not fond of. If you don't plan on supplementing them with T5s down the line - i wouldn't advise a single fixture for an SPS dominant tank. For a dominant LPS tank, they are perfect lights.

If you plan on doing SPS for this tank, I would advise on getting

Top Choice - ATI 24" 6 Bulb Fixture - T5s are proven for SPS and everything else - great growth and color and honestly, power wise it's around 150w - the Kessils, iirc are 100w at full power, only issue with t5s are the yearly bulbs and heat.

runners up suggestions -

MarsAqua 165w Fixture - not the best looking but cost effective and they work. If you're handy with a soldering iron, i would change out the red and green leds with 410-425nm UV leds and also remove the optics for better coverage - will still get some shadows but not as bad as the Kessils alone. can be easily hacked to work with an APEX as well.

Kessil a360W with 2 t5 supplements - better combo but not sure how you feel about t5s. if your handy, your make a floating canopy that can house the kessil and t5s

Radions and Hydra series have a good track record but can't comment on an experience since never owned either.

this really depends on what you plan on keeping in the tank, will you be SPS dominant or LPS/Mixed?

I love Kessils, they are awesome lights BUT they are not the best in terms of coverage especially when dealing with SPS - The single point light is awesome and creates beautiful ripples of light but will create a ton of shadows which SPS are not fond of. If you don't plan on supplementing them with T5s down the line - i wouldn't advise a single fixture for an SPS dominant tank. For a dominant LPS tank, they are perfect lights.

If you plan on doing SPS for this tank, I would advise on getting

Top Choice - ATI 24" 6 Bulb Fixture - T5s are proven for SPS and everything else - great growth and color and honestly, power wise it's around 150w - the Kessils, iirc are 100w at full power, only issue with t5s are the yearly bulbs and heat.

runners up suggestions -

MarsAqua 165w Fixture - not the best looking but cost effective and they work. If you're handy with a soldering iron, i would change out the red and green leds with 410-425nm UV leds and also remove the optics for better coverage - will still get some shadows but not as bad as the Kessils alone. can be easily hacked to work with an APEX as well.

Kessil a360W with 2 t5 supplements - better combo but not sure how you feel about t5s. if your handy, your make a floating canopy that can house the kessil and t5s

Radions and Hydra series have a good track record but can't comment on an experience since never owned either.
Great post! I am thinking of going LPS dominant mostly and I would like to stay away from having to resolder lights lol. I looked into some Chinese LEDs and some look really cool but I would like to avoid hanging from ceiling and aesthetics are important as its a display tank in my main room.

I would go with Chinese fixture all day if I can come up with a gooseneck style mounting solution.

Anyone know anything about Nanobox Duo?

Status
Not open for further replies.