• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Max's Red Sea Reefer 170. (A Grand Journey of Discovery, Aggravation, and General Buffoonery).

Status
Not open for further replies.
To throw more fuel into the fire...

1e261f37fe5315fc54e4981854e2660f.jpg
looks really nice!

But...

Kessil came out with a similar mounting arm
0678f8cc27b3df75b5396d3023632b1f.jpg

Choice A is 200$ cheaper however. $200 buys me a nice circulation pump....

Speaking of circulation pumps. Anyone hear of Jebao pumps? Seem to have the functionally of an mp 10 but like 10,0000 times less expensive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes I heard of jebao. Hardcover refers don't like them bc they're not vortechs. But I'm looking at getting them Bc I can't afford vortechs. I'm looking at the rw4/pp4 magnet mount. Just be careful to get the wireless those are the newer models.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
As far as the ecotech vs jebao goes, the saying you get what you pay for really comes into play. I have both a jebao wp25 I believe in my frag tank and 2 ecotech mp10's in the display. The ecotechs look much nicer, are built better, are more programmable, and come from a company that stands behind their products and has great customer service. The jebao isn't bad but I feels cheap to the touch, only has a few settings and I have had a few Problems with it in the 1.5 years I have had it. I fixed them myself as their customer service is non existent. One of my mp10's is pushing 4 years old with no issues whatsoever. Needless to say I wouldn't buy another jebao but I am looking to buy new mp10 qd's for the display and put the old ones on the frag system.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
+1 for the MP10

if you wanna save some money - i suggest looking for used Kessils - they are always one for sale - you can usually have them for around 300-350 and sometimes with accessories as well. try going to other forums like R2R/MR/NR - then you can use the money you saved to add on to finding an mp10.

Also - another suggestion to the list of lights would be this from ReefBreeders

Nano-Lite Wifi

$179 with wifi control - i'd say it's the chinese equivalent to the AI Prime (another good fixture too). Again, i would only suggest this light for LPS dominated tanks comes with a gooseneck as well.

Here is a video review - I would take some of the stuff this guy said with a grain of salt but i'm only adding this review so you can see the functions of the fixture. IMO though, these lights are more than enough for what you plan on doing.

Edit: just skimmed over the review - app is no longer just chinese lol

Here is a link to the AI Prime, which i think would be perfect for you but it does not include accesories like the one above - but has Ecotech customer service backing it up.

Prime » AquaIllumination®

Last edited:
As far as the ecotech vs jebao goes, the saying you get what you pay for really comes into play. I have both a jebao wp25 I believe in my frag tank and 2 ecotech mp10's in the display. The ecotechs look much nicer, are built better, are more programmable, and come from a company that stands behind their products and has great customer service. The jebao isn't bad but I feels cheap to the touch, only has a few settings and I have had a few Problems with it in the 1.5 years I have had it. I fixed them myself as their customer service is non existent. One of my mp10's is pushing 4 years old with no issues whatsoever. Needless to say I wouldn't buy another jebao but I am looking to buy new mp10 qd's for the display and put the old ones on the frag system.
I had you up until the last sentence. Where you mention the old ones are going in your frag tank. I was about to make an offer.. :(

I had you up until the last sentence. Where you mention the old ones are going in your frag tank. I was about to make an offer.. :(

Uh excuse me good sir! I do believe my offer of 99$ and a case of "good" beer was first!

......and by case I meant ehhh 6 pack

..... And by good I meant ehhh Keystone Light

..... [emoji263][emoji263][emoji102][emoji263][emoji263]

I say buy another 6 pack and make kschweer another offer.
And maybe consider Stella Artois instead of Keystone. ;)

+1 for the MP10

if you wanna save some money - i suggest looking for used Kessils - they are always one for sale - you can usually have them for around 300-350 and sometimes with accessories as well. try going to other forums like R2R/MR/NR - then you can use the money you saved to add on to finding an mp10.

Also - another suggestion to the list of lights would be this from ReefBreeders

Nano-Lite Wifi

$179 with wifi control - i'd say it's the chinese equivalent to the AI Prime (another good fixture too). Again, i would only suggest this light for LPS dominated tanks comes with a gooseneck as well.

Here is a video review - I would take some of the stuff this guy said with a grain of salt but i'm only adding this review so you can see the functions of the fixture. IMO though, these lights are more than enough for what you plan on doing.

Edit: just skimmed over the review - app is no longer just chinese lol

Here is a link to the AI Prime, which i think would be perfect for you but it does not include accesories like the one above - but has Ecotech customer service backing it up.

Prime » AquaIllumination®
Those AI prime are nice and nicely priced.

So once again I went to the store to see if I can get something cheaper as far as light goes so that I can have $$$ left over for an mp10......

....... And spectacularly f$cked that up in a matter of less than 3 minutes!

Now I have this:
6c8f12562b00c271a11c2d8337a31580.jpg

...........still getting an mp10

...........I'm starting to really like ramen noodles

You will be happy with the Kessil, I'm sure you know that. But just remember don't forget to take the wife out to eat! Or you will regret the kessil for life!

You will be happy with the Kessil, I'm sure you know that. But just remember don't forget to take the wife out to eat! Or you will regret the kessil for life!

Excuse me good sir but I wasn't aware having a Kessil light came with wife dining out responsibilities! I should return it promptly for a light that requires no such evil.

Excuse me good sir but I wasn't aware having a Kessil light came with wife dining out responsibilities! I should return it promptly for a light that requires no such evil.

Lmao! Oh my dear friend you must be a young rooster. You will soon learn everything has wife dinning out responsibilities... just remember "happy wife, happy life"

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
So once again I went to the store to see if I can get something cheaper as far as light goes so that I can have $$$ left over for an mp10......

....... And spectacularly f$cked that up in a matter of less than 3 minutes!

Now I have this:
6c8f12562b00c271a11c2d8337a31580.jpg

...........still getting an mp10

...........I'm starting to really like ramen noodles

just couldn't help yourself could ya?

you will definitely not be disappointed with this light fixture

Chapter 5: Plumbers Don't Wear Ties

So after staring at the tank for a good hour and mustering courage, with the help of a few beers I decided to tackle the plumbing. The instructions leave a lot to be desired but who reads them anyways right? After a little elbow grease and a few "is it supposed to make that noise?!" moments, I was able to get it all together....

56d460f9c2cc6704faefc645cae12b04.jpg

The overflow system. Notice the silencer.

b06a1f308bb07d47fda816097c3fe591.jpg

The plumbing is all in.

I got so into it I even decided to install the light!

42415c869388dd076661aa6103dffc3e.jpg

Very clean look.

And finally...... In all her glory:

102ba795199882b68ed152a43e4882e5.jpg

Ahhhh... The cleanest she will ever look...

To be continued.....

Eventually.......

When I figure out how to hook up the ATO to the faucet without blowing up the house.... Or flooding.....

Status
Not open for further replies.