• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Max's Red Sea Reefer 170. (A Grand Journey of Discovery, Aggravation, and General Buffoonery).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks great! I don't know why but I have seen 100s of pictures of empty setups or people's build processes and it never gets old! I just love it! Did u decide on power heads?

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
looking good. I like the beer in the sump gives it some life lol. How you liking the Kessil? I like that Kessil arm the ones I have are not that nice looking lol

looking good. I like the beer in the sump gives it some life lol. How you liking the Kessil? I like that Kessil arm the ones I have are not that nice looking lol

Ah! You found the Easter egg! That's some good beer....

I like the Kessil I think it's a very clean look and complements this setup very nicely. This is the newer arm that they released that gives you another option over the gooseneck. Also it allows you to hide the wires inside of it.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I see that. That was my biggest issue with the gooseneck that you couldn't 'hide' the wires. I use black zip ties and try to make it look neat. It's not too bad but no where as nice as no wires at all lol. I been thinking of building a rack and doing away with the goosenecks but not sure it will look as clean as it does now. I even thought about making a top to hide everything but I'm not skilled at wood work lol.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I see that. That was my biggest issue with the gooseneck that you couldn't 'hide' the wires. I use black zip ties and try to make it look neat. It's not too bad but no where as nice as no wires at all lol. I been thinking of building a rack and doing away with the goosenecks but not sure it will look as clean as it does now. I even thought about making a top to hide everything but I'm not skilled at wood work lol.

Probably would be cheaper and easier to just get the new arms than build tops or racks. In my experience when I set out to save $$$ and build my own stuff it ends up costing more in supplies and hospital bills.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Probably would be cheaper and easier to just get the new arms than build tops or racks. In my experience when I set out to save $$$ and build my own stuff it ends up costing more in supplies and hospital bills.
Just checked them out. The price is a little high for them and my goosenecks are doing fine. Also it doesn't say it supports the A150s. I see it does the A360s and A160s so I'm assuming it would handle the A150s as well. I do agree with you they might be cheaper than having something built lol.

Very nice setup! Clean and simple. The kessil looks awesome. I knew you wouldn't be disappointed. The disco effect will illuminate your ceiling as well. You will have a tank and light show.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Chapter 6: Here comes the aggravation.

Ok kids I'm aggravated. Why do you ask? It's because I did a test fill like quarter of the tank and of course it's out of level enough to annoy me when I look at it. (Of course why would I take a picture.....) but it was significant enough to be quite visible. One of the corners needs a good shim. It happens to be the front corner. Now because the stand has 2 plastic feet on each side it means I have to shim both feet around one corner. So now I will have 2 unsightly shims right there in plain sight to aggravate me further.

I am thinking of putting that rubber rug underneath the tank and then it will conceal the shims. However this involves undoing the plumbing and redoing the plumbing (not hard or time consuming I suppose but still...)

Is there any other way I am not thinking of?

Off topic: Due to my house turning against me the little 10 gallon planted tank I'm setting up in my office room/YouTube browsing till 2 am and then crying about having to go to work in the morning room, has the same damn issue on the same damn corner.

......I'm ready to sell the tanks.

......or sell the house

.....or burn it all down, tanks and the house

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Chapter 6: Here comes the aggravation.

Ok kids I'm aggravated. Why do you ask? It's because I did a test fill like quarter of the tank and of course it's out of level enough to annoy me when I look at it. (Of course why would I take a picture.....) but it was significant enough to be quite visible. One of the corners needs a good shim. It happens to be the front corner. Now because the stand has 2 plastic feet on each side it means I have to shim both feet around one corner. So now I will have 2 unsightly shims right there in plain sight to aggravate me further.

I am thinking of putting that rubber rug underneath the tank and then it will conceal the shims. However this involves undoing the plumbing and redoing the plumbing (not hard or time consuming I suppose but still...)

Is there any other way I am not thinking of?

Off topic: Due to my house turning against me the little 10 gallon planted tank I'm setting up in my office room/YouTube browsing till 2 am and then crying about having to go to work in the morning room, has the same damn issue on the same damn corner.

......I'm ready to sell the tanks.

......or sell the house

.....or burn it all down, tanks and the house

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ha.......

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Just Butt up the carpet against the stand to hide the shim. Or put some corner molding around the stand

Russell Bennett

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have the fluval M90 and it was a great entry point into the hobby, but to be honest you did the right thing in my opinion. I am constantly not trusting the equipment and thinking about replacing it. Aka the light is annoying and manual. The protein skimmer is not producing already thinking about a tunze. I bout a media basket so I could put in Chemipure. I bought a mini-max reactor. Also the M90 12' front to back in the display is a real pain. I wish I had more of a cube. Don't get me wrong I like the tank, but the low price point is misleading, because I will be chasing better equipment for years to come.

I may have a suggestion. If you do decide to un plumb, maybe remove the little plastic feet you said you had on the opposite side and probably will level out. I think m it's better then shims. As an eye sore that is. And who knows you still might need shims anyway. Do you believe it's the tankstand? Or your floor? In any case if you do decide to understand plumb just remember level it out first before plumbing bavk again so you can make adjustments to your liking.
You have a nice setup. And it's like buying a new gome, no matter how the previous owner had it you still change thing to accommodate yourself. Be patient, fix it and you'll be happy in no time. Good luck!

I may have a suggestion. If you do decide to un plumb, maybe remove the little plastic feet you said you had on the opposite side and probably will level out. I think m it's better then shims. As an eye sore that is. And who knows you still might need shims anyway. Do you believe it's the tankstand? Or your floor? In any case if you do decide to understand plumb just remember level it out first before plumbing bavk again so you can make adjustments to your liking.
You have a nice setup. And it's like buying a new gome, no matter how the previous owner had it you still change thing to accommodate yourself. Be patient, fix it and you'll be happy in no time. Good luck!

It is a 100% my floor. My house conspires against me. I had to shim the hell out of the stand for my 10 gallon planted tank upstairs too.

I have decided in order to distribute weight better to put the rug back under. However I will be using a smaller rug so it won't be as offensive. On the account of water, the rug is vinyl underneath and I will be putting towels down anytime I do maintenance anyways.

This way I can shim to my hearts content and the shims will be concealed.

In a perfect world I would have a house built to the specifications of reef keeping. It would have laser guided self leveling floors which would also be water proof. There would be slide out hidden compartments in walls for equipment and such. There would be slop sinks everywhere. There would be triple redundancy in back up generators in case the power fails and/or hurricane Sandy. And the whole place would be wired to an apex controller.

......then I would still find something to worry about and drive me insane

......this hobby is terrible.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
It is a 100% my floor. My house conspires against me. I had to shim the hell out of the stand for my 10 gallon planted tank upstairs too.

I have decided in order to distribute weight better to put the rug back under. However I will be using a smaller rug so it won't be as offensive. On the account of water, the rug is vinyl underneath and I will be putting towels down anytime I do maintenance anyways.

This way I can shim to my hearts content and the shims will be concealed.

In a perfect world I would have a house built to the specifications of reef keeping. It would have laser guided self leveling floors which would also be water proof. There would be slide out hidden compartments in walls for equipment and such. There would be slop sinks everywhere. There would be triple redundancy in back up generators in case the power fails and/or hurricane Sandy. And the whole place would be wired to an apex controller.

......then I would still find something to worry about and drive me insane

......this hobby is terrible.
well said my friend

f1bafe920eabf99b9f4a462f85184d2b.jpg

I paid good money to look at mud!

Status
Not open for further replies.