• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My first build thread (29g Biocube)

1/16 update:

I got the gold assessor basslet ! Im not sure how to determine its sex. It is beautiful and was swimming on its side in the bag.

Kyle poked holes into a specimen cup to make an acclimation box:
ezyga3y2.jpg

Right now its swimming around in the box. I have the lights off and hopefully I did everything right and everything is smooth sailing.
ezaryqa2.jpg

Aquatic obsessions was the best fish store and well worth the drive. I didnt catch his name, but the owner was awesome and knowledgeable. I got a 10% discount for being a member and they had our brochure in the front ! Kyle and I picked up some zoas too but ill save those for another day hehe.

I really wanna thank everyone who helped me with all my acclimation questions and for Mike and Nikki for giving me an insight on this awesome little fish. I did see the hula there at a stamp of 70$ I think. It was really pretty but I think I was really enamored over the barnacle blennies.

Since ill be getting my alpha aquaculture clownfish next week I think ill be full on fish. Do you guys think I could fit some barnacle blennies, or just call it a day with the tank?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
First off, I might just go buy all those barnacle blennies as we love them, LOL. They would be fine in your tank (1 or 2), they pick a hole in the rock and just hang out, except when food is in the water then they shoot after it like mini torpedoes and then bang right back into the rock. I think you were smart to not get the hula fish, they really need cooler water which can be hard to control in a smaller tank, for us with 400g of which 200g is in a basement, it is a lot easier. As far as swimming fish go, I think the clowns, with the blenny and the basslet will look awesome and be enough fish.

Congrats Jing! That is one cute little assessor.

Good work with the acclimation box.

The hula's are ORA's first release, as Mike said they are a cold water fish. ORA says they can tolerate up to 78 degrees, but we will have to wait and see. I do love the barnacle blennies, we they are really interesting fish. I would recommend them if you find yourself, in a few months, looking for more activity.

First off, I might just go buy all those barnacle blennies as we love them, LOL. They would be fine in your tank (1 or 2), they pick a hole in the rock and just hang out, except when food is in the water then they shoot after it like mini torpedoes and then bang right back into the rock. I think you were smart to not get the hula fish, they really need cooler water which can be hard to control in a smaller tank, for us with 400g of which 200g is in a basement, it is a lot easier. As far as swimming fish go, I think the clowns, with the blenny and the basslet will look awesome and be enough fish.

Yeah ! He fed them to show us and it was wicked quick I liked the way they moved. He had them in snail shells and they reminded me alot like little mandarins cause of the design.

Congrats Jing! That is one cute little assessor.

Good work with the acclimation box.

The hula's are ORA's first release, as Mike said they are a cold water fish. ORA says they can tolerate up to 78 degrees, but we will have to wait and see. I do love the barnacle blennies, we they are really interesting fish. I would recommend them if you find yourself, in a few months, looking for more activity.

Haha thanks! We really went a little ghetto and took a bbq lighter to melt the acrylic. I did see on your thread that the hulas were temperature sensitive, so im really glad I wasnt tempted because I keep mine at a high of 80-81 and probably wouldve accidentally toasted it.

We really went a little ghetto

I prefer "creative" lol

Yeah I have to hand it to aquatic obsessions, the store was small but one of the best I have ever been to. The owner (I assume he was?) Was helpful and nice. The fish were healthy and he had some uncommon fish like garden eels and the barnacle blennies. The coral of course is what got me. Nice chunky frags of zoas sps and lps and not just run of the mill stuff.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I let out the basslet (which I named marley cause I liked that it was gender friendly) and my blenny is nipping it alittle. I know Will said there might be a little harrassment at first, but how long should I wait before its something serious? The basslet swims pretty quick so it normally gets away before albert bites it, but im afraid to take my eyes off the tank.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I know the feeling, it will subside (and so will the nipping). When we added the hawenisis, the big borb was chasing them for a few days and it sent my stomach into my throat, but it passed and now they are all good. As long as the basslet eats and is not pinned into rock work, a little nipping is fine.

I know the feeling, it will subside (and so will the nipping). When we added the hawenisis, the big borb was chasing them for a few days and it sent my stomach into my throat, but it passed and now they are all good. As long as the basslet eats and is not pinned into rock work, a little nipping is fine.

Thanks Mike! It did try to hide in the rock work but thats when the chasing started which made me nervous. I guess my blenny got territorial? Ill keep an eye out and hopefully i find something it likes. It didnt want the flakes and mostly ignored the frozen food but it did eat a tiny piece. Ill try again on sunday. This acclimation stressed me out more then it did the fish I feel like.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
If it does not get better, you can pull the blenny and put him in the acclimation box for a day or two which might break the territorial response.

If it does not get better, you can pull the blenny and put him in the acclimation box for a day or two which might break the territorial response.

+1
You can also try baby brine with the basslet. He should gobble those up.

Update 1/21:

Im so happy my blenny didnt eat marley. They stopped picking on each other and swim on opposite sides of the tank.

I am not talented at capturing fish pictures. Maybe kyle will be able to grab a shot for me one day. Theyre just too fast.
I am still waiting to hear back on my clownfish, and I ordered my new parts for my ro unit.

I'll speak for the both of us here and say big thanks to Mike and Nikki for all the help from acclimation tips all the way to finding the fish for jing and even showing us a great lfs. You guys are great.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I'll speak for the both of us here and say big thanks to Mike and Nikki for all the help from acclimation tips all the way to finding the fish for jing and even showing us a great lfs. You guys are great.

That is what this club is for.

Thanks Nikki ! The live ones? Or just grab some strictly frozen ones?
Jing, I was thinking newly hatched artemia- you can buy the cysts at a Petco or Petsmart, decapsulate them with bleach, clean them with dechlorinator, and hatch them yourself with a small container and a bubbler in 24 hours.
PM me if you need help with this, I've done it many times.
This is an affordable live food for fish that are not eating prepared foods.

Kyle, thank you for the kind words. Glad to help, and glad the new little guy is settling in well.