• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My first build thread (29g Biocube)

Jing, I was thinking newly hatched artemia- you can buy the cysts at a Petco or Petsmart, decapsulate them with bleach, clean them with dechlorinator, and hatch them yourself with a small container and a bubbler in 24 hours.

I would love to hear about this decapsulating process of yours :) seriously interested...

Update 2/1:

Kyle and I did some aquascaping last week. The atmosphere change broke up the territory war between marley and albert, and they swim freely together whereas before they swam on opposite sides of the tank.
najeru8y.jpg

y7e5aje3.jpg

Kyle gave me a piece of his green birds nest and if I keep it alive then I can get a new strawberry shortcake lol.
qura8e3e.jpg

pu5u9ady.jpg

I only use the reef chili sporadically now because I keep forgetting to use it. Thats about it, still no clowns yet.

Silly linear blenny eating SPS.
How is that basslet doing? Any change in color?
I took a good look at my guys, the new ones don't have perfect head shapes but all of them have yellow heads with orange on them.
I wonder if the coloration could be a stress response?

Silly linear blenny eating SPS.
How is that basslet doing? Any change in color?
I took a good look at my guys, the new ones don't have perfect head shapes but all of them have yellow heads with orange on them.
I wonder if the coloration could be a stress response?

The basslet is good! I turned the lights off for half a day cause I called Mike from Aquatic Obsessions and he said he gets a weird coloration sometimes that he sees from the ORA clownfish. He described it that my fish was getting like a "tan". So iturned down the lights alot and the head is a little bit greener which makes me feel better. The bodys still a little muddy brown but not as much as it was before. Mike said to play with some certain food too to bring the yellow out more, but he thinks i just had my lights too strong.

That is really interesting.
We have kept them under halides, T5s, and leds, in tanks from our 30 cube to our 205g and I've never seen that happen to any of mine. I'll have to see if I can get Mike to snap a photo.

How is the new fish Jing?

Trying very hard not to stress out about it. My new basslet was getting bullied by the one already in the tank. By the time the day was over I couldnt prove it to kyle so im hoping things will be better tomorrow. Sometimes I think theyre swimming together and then the next thing I know theyre chasing. It wont eat though but technically this was the first day out of the acclimation box and I only let it out because it was eating in the box. All in all just worried I overdid it.

Trying very hard not to stress out about it. My new basslet was getting bullied by the one already in the tank. By the time the day was over I couldnt prove it to kyle so im hoping things will be better tomorrow. Sometimes I think theyre swimming together and then the next thing I know theyre chasing. It wont eat though but technically this was the first day out of the acclimation box and I only let it out because it was eating in the box. All in all just worried I overdid it.

It is not unusual for there to be some chasing when you add a new conspecific.
Your tank should be large enough to house both of them once the old guy calms down.
I found that shot glasses (the taller thin ones) worked well as "bolt holes" in our 30g cube. You could try something like that, or some small pieces of pipe work well for assessors also. You can usually remove them in 2-3 weeks. Call me if it really isn't going well.

It is not unusual for there to be some chasing when you add a new conspecific.
Your tank should be large enough to house both of them once the old guy calms down.
I found that shot glasses (the taller thin ones) worked well as "bolt holes" in our 30g cube. You could try something like that, or some small pieces of pipe work well for assessors also. You can usually remove them in 2-3 weeks. Call me if it really isn't going well.

Thanks Nikki ! I might try and get some live mysis today or tomorrow if it doesnt eat again too. I have the pvc pipe from the acclimation box I can stick in there until I can get to the dollar store for the bolt holes.

3/1:
Everyone is thankfully playing nice now. In an attempt to get the new basslet to eat i got an algae bloom. Gonna do a big water change to hopefully get the imbalance back on point. Kyle gave me his old tunze skimmer and ill get to hook it up tomorrow once I get a larger outlet.

I got a cleaner shrimp too ! hes my dads favorite and he comes out alot more than I thought he would. My new lights are scheduled to come in before or around my spring break (march 15ish) so the only piece left is an ATO.

I did get the media basket too, it helps alot with changing the filter floss. Funny how im grossed out by dirty filterfloss but I can watch cyst surgeries for hours.

New lights are in from reef radiance. Im hoping for an improvement on the color of the tank. The intensity is at 40 blue and 25 white, and if im on a good roll next week ill inch them up.

Long overdue for an update. I'll speak for jing here and say tank is looking amazing, took some shots last weekend. Kinda upset that her sps look better than mine..

uploadfromtaptalk1403746778678.jpguploadfromtaptalk1403746790002.jpguploadfromtaptalk1403746809781.jpguploadfromtaptalk1403746824231.jpguploadfromtaptalk1403746835162.jpguploadfromtaptalk1403746848512.jpguploadfromtaptalk1403746864353.jpguploadfromtaptalk1403746881252.jpguploadfromtaptalk1403746900391.jpg

Her $900 clowns she won on reef2reef
uploadfromtaptalk1403746922389.jpg