• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New 90 Gallon Reef setup. - Going to need alot of advice.

Hello All.... I am new to this site. I have already posted an introduction. I was told I should start a "Tale of my tank" so here goes.
I had some tanks in the past ranging from 28 Gallon Cube to 1100+ Gallon Custom Tank. I've been out of the hobby for several years and recently got the itch back when researching for a friend... I was lucky to have someone offer me a 55 gallon tank with stand and some other equipment for free. So I took it and here I am. I ordered some equipment that will be arriving tomorrow.
My setup will be the 55G DT with a CPR CS90 OVERFLOW BOX draining to a 15 gallon sump (Only used for equipment).
In the sump I have a BERLIN SUMP FILTER SOCK 4 INCH 100 MICRON which I will replace weekly and throw in the washing machine (After running 2 empty washes.), a REEF OCTOPUS CLASSIC 110 SPACE SAVER PROTEIN SKIMMER, 3 TWO LITTLE FISHIES PHOSBAN REACTOR 150 KITS (1-SEACHEM LABORATORIES MATRIX CARBON, 1-AQUAMAXX BIOMAXX PLUS BIOPELLETS FILTER MEDIA, and 1 - D-D RP-10 ROWAPHOS GFO PHOSPHATE REMOVAL MEDIA - Each being pushed by a MARINELAND MAXI-JET 1200 PRO POWERHEAD (295/1300 GPH)), 2 - VIAAQUA 300 WATT QUARTZ HEATERS (Offset by 2 degrees), and a DANNER SUPREME AQUA-MAG 9.5 WATER PUMP returning the water to the DT about 3 feet above it. I have 2 CORALIFE DIGITAL THERMOMETER (1 in tank and the other in the sump). In the DT I'll have 4 HYDOR KORALIA NANO CIRCULATION PUMP/POWERHEAD 565GPH, a TOPFIN 60 (I'll throw some sponges in there and replace weekly) and for lights a AQUATICLIFE 48 INCH 4X54 WATT T5 HO LIGHT FIXTURE W/ 4 LUNAR LEDS. I plan on 1 1/2 inches of live sand, and 60 lbs of live rock. I am looking to start with some Inverts, then a fish or two and maybe some "Easy" corals.

Please let me know what you think. I accept constructive criticism so please let me know what I did wrong and what a better solution should/could have been.

Thanks in advance.

Freddy

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
You obviously did your research as that is a very comprehensive list of equipment and you seem to have all the bases covered. My only real quibbles with your list are very minor. You could probably get away with a lot less live rock, and will probably have too with the 55g tank due to the front to back width. This is a good problem not a bad one, as less rock can actually benefit your tank overall (as long as there is sufficent grounds for bacteria). I would start with less and then add more if you think you need it. The only other small one is the bio pellets. Generally people run bio pellets to get to a low nutrient system for harder to keep corals. The bio pellets need to be "seeded" and that may be tough to do with a brand new tank. I don't have bio pellets but I am sure someone else will chime in. Good luck.

Thank you. Do you think 40Lbs of Live Rock will be good? I will leave out the Bio Pellets and introduce them later if the need arises.
Thanks for your response.

One other question... I've read about tank turnover and how I need 40-50X turnover... is that the amount of water that gets circulated thru your sump or is it water movement in general... in other words do I add all the pumps in my system (Overflow,filter,powerheads) to figure out tank turnover or just the amount of my return pump from the sump?

thanks...

Looks great. Why not run a manifold off the Mag 9.5(should be a bit overkill anyway) for all the 2LF reactors? Will save you a few bucks on not only electricity but also powerheads. BTW what was the 1100+ gallon tank that is huge.:eek: Not fair just throwing that fact with no explanation.

Total most overflows will not take that kind of turnover. See my previous post. Less overflow will be less waterfall noise.

Last edited:
I'm sorry... what is a manifold? Do you mean putting all the reactors in a row then the hose up to the DT? I have them separated because I figured if they are "Self" contained I can easily clean them by unplugging the electricity and then just carrying them to my laundry room versus having to shut down everything and disconnect hoses and disrupt the DT. I do have Ball valves on all the inputs into the reactors so I can get the input flow where i want it and one at the Main return pump to equal out the flow going to the DT with the flow coming in from the DT.

As far as the 1100G .... Ugh... it was a different time... I was retired, single and no kids... I had just bought a house in Millstone Twp. and was finishing my "MAN CAVE/S" when I decided that this 20 foot wall that was kind of indented back about 3 feet would be a great place for a Saltwater tank... not even knowing how to spell saltwater I jumped in with both feet. I didn't really do anything except pick the fish and corals and that was by pointing and saying i want a couple of those and a couple of those.. lol...
If I find pictures of it I will post for you... I have since lost everything in a lawsuit... sold that house moved back to my current home which I never sold (Thank god!) and now I'm happy to be able to afford a 55 Gallon.. LOL!
But I am now married with two great kids... so I don't regret a minute how things turned out.

I am obviously a bit jealous of Mike's sump :embarassed:, also another Mike(mnat) and Nikki are having the holiday party and they have a great setup if you can make it. Also a plug for the club, if you are a paying member you will get some discounts and we have some group buys that will pay for the cost and also there is a member only for sale section.

I did make the Paypal payment. I would love to meet some of you guys... I'll keep my ears open.... thanks.
As far as his tank... WOW!!! I'm right there with you on the jealousy part!!!! LOL!

Thanks.

Ugh...most of my equipment came today... I was going to take the day off and setup the tank but my CPR Overflow didn't come with a discharge hose... and I ordered the wrong size hoses for my pumps to reactor and my return pump... even the heaters are too long for my sump... lol...

Does anyone know if I can just run to Home Depot to get the discharge hose for the bottom of a CPR CS90 OVERFLOW BOX? Is there any adapters I need or just a hose with at least a 1 1/2 inch inside diameter?

Thanks.

I'd think just about any hose would work? Just remember to get a clamp for it, and if you get the vinyl tubing, put a coffee cup with water in the microwave till it boils. Then stick the hose in the boiling water to soften it up enough to contour it to what you need. Then clamp, and should be good to go. Also, try and avoid a metal clamp. Metal doesn't do so well with water.... especially saltwater :p

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Hi Freddy welcome to the club and good luck with your new tank, as some have said your list is pretty good I have one comment for you if it were me I would order a glass holes overflow and drill the tank there are many people who could guide you through this and honestly it is really easy. I get very nervous with something that could cause a lot of water to hit the floor because of a loss of syphyon.

I am obviously a bit jealous of Mike's sump :embarassed:,
Thanks JR
If your jealous of that.... here is the best tank..... my home in Belize.... about to go diving off the 2nd largest barrier reef in the world... why I wanted a large reef tank....I love the reef...
Freddy... the manifold is easy... a few T fittings... some valves.... easy to control flow and to clean.

MIKEH - WIN_20141205_112707.jpg

Attachments

• MIKEH - WIN_20141205_111706.jpg
    MIKEH - WIN_20141205_111706.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 41
Hey guys sorry for the delay in responding. Well I just broke down and figured I want to so this right so waiting another week for them to deliver the proper drainage hose from CPR is the right way to go... also I can't drill...it's tempered glass... big label saying "Don't Drill"!!! Lol

So I get my lights and the box looked pretty beat up...I open it and one of the bulbs is in three pieces and bank 1 and 3 don't work at all! Big props to Marine Depot Customer Service...she shipped me a new one before I even hung up. I setup my sump and auto top off tank and tested all equipment. I filled the tank with water and let sit for two days with the power heads running with two in 30 second wave mode... no leaks! Tonight I finished putting the black background, emptying all tanks and canisters, labeling all cords and power strip and plug-in everything in. And finally started making my Rodi water to fill tank and once full add salt heater and kick on power heads for movememnt...once my drainage hose comes I'll add the sump to the mix and fill my rodi top off water tank...then I'll finally be ready for some sand and rock and start my cycle!!!!!
Sound like a decent plan? Thanks for all your advice everyone!

Well the hits just keep coming... lol looks like my Kent Hi-S rodi unit is done... talked to a Lfs guy and he said if it sat for over a year the membrane is most likely shot... so is it worth it to replace all the filters and the membrane? My Lfs guy told me about RODI Buddy ? I've seen it online...it's about 100... which makes me skeptical... what do you guys think? Thanks