• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New 90 Gallon Reef setup. - Going to need alot of advice.

I've never had a reactor up and running unless I needed it lol. To simplify that, you can just run carbon in the sump (Even just buying some of those cheap filter replacements for power filters will work lol).

Well I got my sand and rock in... I went with 40 lbs of live sand and only 55 lbs of live rock. I still have to redo the plumbing for my return.. I don't understand why I'm having such a hard time...I can design and build secured wireless networks for police departments but I can't figure out some pipes and hoses!!! Lol

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Looking good. If it were me I would try to add just a little more "height" to it. Other than that I like it.

Hey guys... I bought live sand and live rock...it was out of water for a total of 10 mins... how long before I should test for ammonia? I was told by the Lfs that it will be okay to put a couple of fish in after a few days... he told me give the fish a week then add a cleaning crew... what do you guys think... I tested today and everything was zero... ammonia was the only one that wasn't clear... it was a hint of color... I am not trying to rush just don't understand how am I supposed to know if the water is ready if there is no ammonia spike.

wow i dunno how i missed this thread! looks great so far. I would caution against adding fish directly into the display unless you already have a plan in place for worst case scenario. Plan for the worst but expect success is how i think. It could be that you add the fish in and they are totally fine and loving it. Or you add the fish in, and one develops a disease that spreads to the rest. You could save yourself some heartache if you consider a small Quarantine Tank. A 10 gallon with a basic hob filter would work for most unless you are getting huge adult fish - which i doubt. Or skip the QT and play the roulette lol. Me personally i did QT all my fish when I started, but ive yet to have a problem with the LFS I go to and have not bothered to QT from them.

By the way - where are you located? What LFS are you going to?

Certain types of coral can be fast growers and leaving enough room in the tank is something important - and for what it's worth I like your set up so far.

cool! welcome! I shop at Aquatic Obsessions in Avenel - not too bad a trip for you. In the opposite direction in Tinton Falls is Tropiquarium.

A shame I no longer breed clownfish or i'd offer you one. Two wouldn't be right as that wouldn't be good when they got older lol.

There are other places i'm sure others can suggest.

In terms of the QT - if you can't - just realize that any fish added could potentially bring a problem. To minimize stress, add the most aggressive fish in last and do not add any of the water from the LFS into your tank. Read up on acclimation too.

Wow! That's a new one for me. I've got to believe it's in that little strip mall right next to East Brunswick Plumbing Supply....I'm there frequently.

That is it I go there quite often they are more of a fresh water shop. Not very knowledgeable in salt. It's the old owner of pets pets pets

Ugh!!! Just woke up and checked tank and my rigging of my return hose on my enheim 1262 broke off ...not too much of a mess but I have to get the correct fittings!!!! Ugh!

I grabbed my new Mag 9.5 and took it with me to work... i had my friend who's a hvac guy and does plumbing come with me and we picked out all the correct fittings I need... now I need this work day to come to an end so I can go home and complete my tank plumbing once and for all!!!! LOL!
I'm like a little kid on Christmas! :)