• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New 90 Gallon Reef setup. - Going to need alot of advice.

Couple of quick questions. What is the best way to get all that floating snow out of the tank and also my beautiful wife got me this and I don't know what it is or if there are any specific requirements for keeping... picture attached.
19340b63cd9b20fbf899ce61e625bb77.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1445215128155.jpg

Thx

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Agree with sunny it's a toadstool. Do remove the debris from the water column you can run a filter sock if you're not already. Also see how your power heads are pointed to see if they are kicking up sand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey all... I need your opinion. I was at my lfs over the weekend and saw a beautiful fish... I asked the guy working there if it was reef safe, how big it got and what it was... he told me peaceful, reef safe and won't outgrow a 90 gal. I said okay what kind of wrasse and he said Bipartitus Wrasse and I took him home. I started reading up on him while I acclimated and read several post/articles that describe this fish as "Expert" only... and that he only eats pods! WTF? Why wouldn't this guy have mentioned that to me when I obviously didn't know any better... if I'm asking what it is and if it's reef safe, I'm obviuslosly relying on your knowledge to steer me in the right direction. I do take a lot of the blame myself for impulse buying without researching first... I actually went to the store with my brother so he could pick up some cichlids... now what do I do!?!? Catching him is going to be a nightmare if even possible without destroying my tank and stressing everyone... ugh!!!

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Its a shame but some stores would rather make a sake than explain a fish may be hard to keep. Or maybe he simply didn't know. The issue with most of the "leopard" wrasses is eating. Like you said they like pods and lots of them. If the tank is mature you should be ok for a while. I would add some pods for the time being and hope that he will take to frozen food eventually. You can also try black worms and brine shrimp to entice him to eat. Best of luck!

Thanks... I have a refugium and the tanks been up for over 6 months... I have no issue with adding pods to my refugium every couple of weeks...as long as that's the only issue. Thanks...

Well I finally got some good luck. Tuesday night I decided to stop home on my way to the lfs (Needed to purchase chateo and pods for Bipartitus wrasse). I was surprised to see he came out of hiding and was swimming around the rocks not being bothered by anyone. I will upload video of him picking at the rocks. Then the lucky part comes in... I throw in some cubes (brine and mysis) just to see and ... yup, he chomps away at some small mysis... I am still sticking to my plan though. I have a 2 1/2 gallon (Beta fish tank) with light and filter... I will remove the filter and just use it for water flow...I will add a small amount of chateo and some rubble... my Tibse pods arrive today and a bottle of phytoplankton to feed them... I will, once a week, take a small net full and add some to my refugium and directly to my rocks in the dark.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The trick for a fish that usually eats only pods is getting them to supplement their diet with frozen thawed food. My mandy still eats pods in my tank but will also take any frozen food i give him. As long as you have a population of pods in the tank to snack on and he eats frozen thawed as well, you should be just fine. They are rated expert because of the fact that they are very hard to get to eat in the home aquarium. My tank is only 90g with no sump, i don't add any pods, haven't in the last year, i see them in there still. Mandy has been in for over a year now and is still fat and happy.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well, i shouldn't say frozen thawed, but rather the diet you normally feed your tank. Whether thats frozen, live black worms, or whatever the case may be.

Thanks... that is my plan...to keep pods thriving and continue feeding my tank as usual. Now... I feed every other day ... that shouldn't be a problem since he will have pods to eat on the off days...correct?

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yup, i'm at the point now where i might turn the pumps off and feed twice a week to spray some food in front of him, the mandy is always fat and happy. You have it a bit easier as your fish will eat the food out of the water column, my mandy will only eat off the ground and rocks. My tank usually gets fed every other day, i've recently gone to daily feedings of less food, but before that i've gone sometimes 3 or so days without feeding and it never bothered him.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
To add to that, i've been away from the house and set up an auto pellet feeder, was gone for roughly 5 days, i've never seen him eat a pellet but can't be sure, and he was still fat and happy when i came home.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Glad to hear he's down well!! Beautiful fish

Hey all... I just had a silverside head drop onto one head of my torch (AND HE ATE IT!)... Is that okay?
Should I cut up small pieces and feed him regularly? what about my hammer?
Thanks...

Hello All... I just had 2 of my fish die in 1 day! I lost my Flame angel (was in my refugium because the coral kept biting him)... then later that night I lost my Coral Beauty... in trying to figure out what was going on I found what was my Dolabella Sea Hare but it had apparently died and was just a slimy big piece of flesh. As I pulled it out I almost puked... It smelled unreal... !!!! Could my hare have released toxins that killed my angels? I've read both sides... Hares are toxic and can wipe the tank and no hares are toxic but wont really harm anything...
I am extremely nervous since this happened 2am last night and I didn't have time to do any water changes before leaving for work... I'm hoping i don't go home ot a dead tank...