• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New Tank - New to the Hobby - I Need Your Input.

Erm, I had gotten live sand, and didn't want to kill or get rid of anything beneficial to the tank. Maybe I should have rinsed a bit, if that's the case I'm sure once I get the socks going it will help with the cloudiness then.

Thank you for offering Ezve, but I just need to wait 2 more days, and the ones I ordered from BRS should be here, TYVM, very kind of you.

Small update, built a stand with an egg crate, better tuned the skimmer, and it has now pulled the majority of the sand that was just flowing in the water. (some people had complained that the sad I used was very muddy, and that is exactly the case). Today I also inserted a 200-micron sock, ( eventually want to change part of the set up to receive 2 socks, not just 1) and also inserted 2 slabs of Marine Pure, biofilter media.

Attachments

• Skimmer.jpg
    Skimmer.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 5

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Sand ‘dust’ settling may take a week or so. I use the special grade reef. I put a few pounds in a bucket and stir, drain, rinse, repeat. Ater 10-12 of these heavy rinses I still get clouds on the tank for 24-48 hours
Cool handle btw. Influenced by the Greek, the Ender series, or both?

Sand ‘dust’ settling may take a week or so. I use the special grade reef. I put a few pounds in a bucket and stir, drain, rinse, repeat. Ater 10-12 of these heavy rinses I still get clouds on the tank for 24-48 hours
Cool handle btw. Influenced by the Greek, the Ender series, or both?

I need to add a little bit more sand so I think I will be doing that when I do, ty. About the handle, it's my name irl.

so the sand I got is a bit darker than what I have now, so I guess I won't be adding sand for now lol. Anyways, I got a question, at what level of Ammonia does Nitrite start to rise? Normally how many days in the cycle is that? I know it is a little early since the shrimp has been in the tank for about a week, but I have been dosing the tank with MicroBacter7, and thought by now I would have seen some signs already but I got nada.

Today it seems my tank has finally cycled (ammonia doesn't seem exactly at 0), and diatoms also showed up today. I'm thinking of just leaving the diatoms alone, and let it run its course, from what I understand, if you leave it alone it goes away, right? I also want/need to buy new testing kits. Not sure which ones exactly ill be getting. Anyways, if anyone cares to weigh in on anything I have said, please feel free.Test.jpgDiatoms.jpg

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
seems like you are off and running, just take it slow (as by your thread doesn’t seem like you have a problem with that LOl)
Add a couple fish slowly. Do you have a quarantine tank? If not you should set one up. As for test kits that’s a pretty personal choice everyone has there own preference. I use a Hanna Salinity checker it’s awesome. Hanna ultra low range phosphate, salifert alk, salifert No3 which is a little tough because it’s such a small amount of water to test, Red Sea calcium and magnesium. Try and see what you like,
Good luck

testing looks good. my advice is don’t get frustrated as the system settles down. i had fits and bursts of diatoms for a long time. personally i love having a conch patrolling the sand bed to keep it clean looking but that doesn’t get to the core of the issue-maturity and stability. ultimately as i got better at keeping everything stable, things settled in. Tank was beautiful even with the browned out sand, then improved as i went from no dosing to manual dosing to automatic dosing, and manual top-off to ATO.
my advice is dont chase numbers or perfection or the ultimate show tank, just enjoy the ride and the research and appreciate that whatever happens in our cube of ocean is a natural process that we have the blessing of witnessing, striving to understand, and trying to be a positive part of. And unless it’s completely neglected, it’s most likely pretty impressive to look at.

Added 2 small clowns today. Little guys are "hosting" my overflow box. I have tried to shoo them to different parts of the tank but they refuse to leave the overflow box lol. I'm a little concerned about it, I have tried different flow patterns and angles, to see if they choose a better spot... and nothing. For now, I lowered the return pump to the max in hopes that it keeps them safe for now. I also came home with 3 very small corals (they looked very nice in the store, and I wish I had good memory to tell you what their names were). They don't look so good atm, as they closed up, and released a nice amount of mucus.

So I have learned that next time I buy coral from LFS, I need to jot down their names, so I don't forget them again. That being said, I was wondering if any of you could help me identify these two corals. The green coral is not as extended, nor as colorful as it was in LFS, but I think out of the 3 corals I got, is the one that looks the most like they looked in store. The second coral had an orange glow all throughout its body, now however only at the small openings. Any information that you guys can provide me is appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• First coral 2.jpg
    First coral 2.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 8
  • First Coral.jpg
    First Coral.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8

Jamie S

NJRC Member
Good luck with the corals! I’ve been paying attention to your build as I put water in my tank about the same time you did. I have 2 fish in my tank but I may wait another month or so for coral to make sure water parameters are a little more stable.

Thank you Jamie, and I think you have the right idea, sir. I walked in the LFS to buy the clownfish, but the temptation was too much for me lol. I hope everything works out with your tank, interested to know if you have a thread for your tank.

Jamie S

NJRC Member
Believe or not when I went to the lfs they talked me out of buying some gsp frags that I want to glue to the back wall. I haven’t updated it but here’s the link to my tank.