• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

November Meeting Bordentown, NJ 11-18-2007

The pre-meeting JINX has set in and shown it's ugly face! :(

While at the Frag Swap something must have happened electricity wise in my neighborhood. Some type of spike or something. I lost 2 HOB filters on two different tanks as well as my main Sequence return pump. Also one ballast on a set of lights over my main reef tank crapped out too.

I had additional HOB filters around which I use on QT tanks so I had them covered as well as a spare Sequence pump (no spare now) so I was able to get all the water flowing again properly. I only lost 1 fish but it was my PRIZED fish of course. :( My Yellow-Orange Frilly Rhinopius Scorpion Fish. I'm not actually sure it was due to the power glitch or if possibly the lion got him. I doubt it was the lion as they typically sat on the sand right next to each other touching all the time. They had never bothered each other before this but I guess it's possible.

Since the glitch happened I've noticed a few corals took a turn for the worse. Mostly my sunset monti and superman dane colonies. I haven't seen any polyp extension at all since the glitch and I've also noticed some of my acros turned brown with one totally bleaching (this one died). Everything appears to be OK other then the coloration and I'd expect them to make a full recovery but they don't look good right now.

And here I thought I was going to avoid the meeting jinx. :)

Carlo

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Cut that out, you guys! That kind of fear mongering isn't good for recruiting new hosts! Keep it up and we're going to be having that meeting Francis predicted!

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'd like to get an idea of who wants to participate in the photography workshop. Please post your camera model (can be point and shoot, consumer, prosumer, DSLR), lens (if applicable) and what you're hoping to get out of the workshop.

I'm not a teacher, nor a professional photographer, nor any sort of expert on the subject (apart from winning a couple of the photo contests), but between us all, we'll work to improve your photo skills. My plan for the workshop is to go over the basic workings of the camera. Aperature, Shutter Speed, Depth of Field and show examples of these things in action through some photos I'll prepare in advance.

Next we'll all read through our manuals and find out what the minimum focus distance is for the lens we're most likely to use when shooting our tank (it would be great if you could find this before the meeting, but if not we'll figure it out one way or another).

Then we'll all take some initial shots of things inside of Carlo's tank. We'll each download the pictures onto my laptop and review and critique them, hopefully learn from them and then try it again. We'll go over some basic photo editors and cropping techniques.

I expect this to take about 2 hours (longer if we let it). We'll plan to do this between 2 and 4 with raffles to follow. If you plan on participating please be there by 2:00.

Carlo, it will be critical that your glass be clean and print free on both the inside and the outside.

I am definitely interested in the class, Phyl.

I have an Olympus FE-120, and will have to look for my owner's manual. If I can't find it, I just download one.

---
Wendy

C

concept3

I get back from Training in Maryland on the 17th... if i get the 18th off, I'll be there.

Nikon D200

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Mladen/Merv, this workshop may well be more of a chance to help others than to learn a whole lot yourselves, but we should all be able to benefit in some way from the group brain power.

C

concept3

oh ok :)

I'll still bring the Nikon
oh yeah, and I have an Olympus underwater cam too... we can definitely have fun with that!

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Cannon D60 with 50MM Macro lens. Would like to learn how to use the White Balance.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Billy, I'm sure there'll be someone else who can sell raffles during the workshop. Bring the cam along!

Great topic, Mike. I can show the Nikon users how to WB, but the we'll have to rely on Brian for the Canon users.

Phyl said:
Billy, I'm sure there'll be someone else who can sell raffles during the workshop. Bring the cam along!

Great topic, Mike. I can show the Nikon users how to WB, but the we'll have to rely on Brian for the Canon users.

Who cares about canon anyway... maybe we should do two groups... nikon and canon.. I would rather not be in a room with a canon user.. :)

Well, I'll bring along my Olympus Stylus 300 3.2 megapixel point/shoot and tripod but will more likely just be an observer for when I buy a nikon. my phone takes better pics then this camera........ unless it's me. haha

Phyl, glass shouldn't be a problem to have clean. Only problem at this point is having something to shoot inside which is starting to worry me the way things are going. I woke up this morning to no electricity in the house. The box on the outside of my house got toasted at some point during the night. Actually one of the prongs on the back of the meter. Only took PSE&G half a day to get it fixed which results in about 12 hours or more or down time. This combined with the event on the day of the Frag Swap is going to take it's toll on the corals I'm sure. :(

I'm sure most of the LPS types will be fine but many of the stonies aren't looking to hot. Oh well it's not the end of the world.

BTW, while not full of corals I do have a few tanks so there should be a decent amount of front glass to work with for those bring cameras. If anyone is going to bring a top-down box I'd love for you to get a couple of good pics of my stingrays for me. They are hard to get from the front.

Oh, I've got the Nikon D200 with the 18-200 lens but still no macro lens.

Carlo