• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

November Monthly Meeting; Sunday the 23rd Whiting, NJ

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Jon said:
What time does the meeting start and how long do they typically last? I am trying to attend but am not 100% certain yet.
Jon

Meetings typically go from 1 to 5. Hopefully we'll see you there!

ds4x4 said:
how about some 5 7/8" and 15"?

Awesome, that's perfect!

Bruce K said:
Has anyone tried Waterplug to make rocks? I is also manufactured by Thoro like the Thorite. It is a hydraulic cement which means it cures underwater. In air, it cures within 3-5 minutes which may be a help or hinderance. I've looked into the paperwork as we use a lot of it at work. Interestingly, Waterplug is approved for potable water use and Thorite is not. Seems like Waterplug would be OK in a reef with that distinction. I can bring some to try in addition to Thorite if anyone wants to take a shot at it. I might practice a little on Saturday first.

Bruce, you're welcome to bring some (I'm curious how it compares to thorite). I use the thorite simply to hold the rocks together by filling in the cavities between the rocks with Zipties in between. I wouldn't use thorite itself to make the rock structure, it would be too dense, and defeats the purpose of having porous and (eventually) living rocks

BY THE WAY GANG, I don't need any more pillars, so a hands-on tutorial while everyone is making theirs is what it's gonna be...Just like arts and crafts in School :)

Andy, do you have a "mess" area that we can (or rather not to) destroy?

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
I 0rdered some Marco fuji rock branchs and I have some other old dead rock to make pillars for my 90. I also picked up some of his threaded rods. I know I asked this already but do you think you will have some of that putty stuff to spare Merv?

I have enough to put one pillar in the raffle. That should get some tickets?

Edward771 said:
but do you think you will have some of that putty stuff to spare Merv?

I believe we do Ed, I have 10-12 cups left... (I used 2 cups when I made mine); a little bit of thorite goes a very long way. It just needs to be mixed (like cement) a little bit at a time since it hardens in less than 10 minutes.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It is very helpful to the host & hostess of our monthly meetings for folks to bring a covered dish/appetizer to help cover the food/side dishes for the meeting. Anyone planning on bringing food should update your RSVP with any food items you plan on bringing so that others can plan accordingly with what they bring along (wouldn't it be a hoot if everyone brought a taco dip?).

Andy, quick question: Can I either use your microwave or oven for a short period of time? I've decided instead of bringing 2 cold dips, I'll make a big batch of baked spinach and artichoke dip and bring crackers and stuff to dip. I'll be baking it at home, but it'll taste best if I could reheat it briefly. Of course I'll still bring the Smirnoff Ice. :)

bringing a few frags for the raffle -

IMGP4430.jpg

IMGP4431.jpg

morning everyone.. i got called into work this morning and won't be able to make it.. I PM'd those that i was getting stuff from.

sorry to everyone just can't afford to turn down the ot

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
"we" got the flu so we won't be making it. I'll catch up with anyone who suppose to get frags later. Sorry

I believe we get it from Kenseal which is in Pennsauken or a nearby town. They have other location which may be closer to you.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Bruce K said:
I believe we get it from Kenseal which is in Pennsauken or a nearby town. They have other location which may be closer to you.
Thanks Bruce, I looked on the manufacturer's website and they actually list a sku number specifically for Home Depot. I am going to look there this weekend. I also found that you can order it through Ace hardware and have it shipped to a local store so there is no shipping. I'll post where I got it when I get my hands on some in case anybody else is interested.

Taz