• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Oh no he didn't, oh yes he did 180 gal build

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
One question I have is on the top piece here, there is an extra hole. Should I have another piece to go in that empty hole?

aEAXkl.jpg

If you are talking about the hole opposite the black nipple, that’s a breather hole for the bubbly water exiting the skimmer.

Also for the standpipe the rubber gasket? or tube you see around the standpipe should that spot where I have it?
3h8MUl.jpg

I must have missed English class when this vernacular was taught. However, if I translate this into Klingon, I think I understand what you are asking. That “down-tube” is pushed into that white tee so that the hole in the down-tube aligns with the hole in the tee. You then turn the down tube to limit the outflow of water from the skimmer to adjust the foam height. Does that make sense, or would you like it in Klingon? :grin:

romuluSngan Hol yIjatlh. He'So' QIchlIj. :eek:

Last edited:
Ugh I'm exhausted been working long days and ran around all day.

I meant the rubber gasket around the bottom of the stand pipe to make the seal. I guess some would call it an o ring?

I'm going to bed now, Paul let me know when you release your comedy hour. :p

Sent from Brando's mind

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
But do you understand what I'm saying, or would you like further detail? The open-ness of that hole in the downtube to the tee-hole controls your foam height.

When the down tube is pushed into the tee, you won't see that gasket. It seals the down tube in the tee.

That's what I'm saying the gasket is meant to be in the hole. I figured as much, I understand I'm just tired!!!!

Wahhhh

Sent from Brando's mind

Brandon here,s the top of my ATB. You arent missing anything other than the piece of tube mine has for ozone hook up.

ta5agazu.jpg

Great pick up.....I reallt like mine!!!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

That's awesome!!!! I have had zero problems with mine in the year that I am running and it pulls out some amazing and awful gunk from the tank. I just ordered a neck swabie for mine from Avast.

No I have the 10.5 deluxe. That has a giant cup and a float switch built into it so when it fills up my apex turns off the skimmer. I never let it get that high but for those times when a skimmer goes berzerk for some unknown reason it comes in handy.

Thanks bud, I'm a bit annoyed. I bought an avast skimmate locker, but given the height of my baffles in my sump, height of the skimmer, and height of the sump itself I can't use it.

As you can see the skimmate locker sits lower than the trim of the sump, the skimmer collection drain sits well below that rim, and well idk.

I am considering putting it inside the sump, but not even sure that'd be worth it.

blah also hope this will suffice for my 180 :/

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks bud, I'm a bit annoyed. I bought an avast skimmate locker, but given the height of my baffles in my sump, height of the skimmer, and height of the sump itself I can't use it.

As you can see the skimmate locker sits lower than the trim of the sump, the skimmer collection drain sits well below that rim, and well idk.

I am considering putting it inside the sump, but not even sure that'd be worth it.

blah also hope this will suffice for my 180 :/

I don’t know….maybe it’s the angle of the photo….but looking at the baffle height, the skimmer looks like it’s too deep into water. Won’t you have to elevate that skimmer a bit higher in the sump. And even if you didn’t, you could always drill a hole in the glass for the tubing to reach the “locker.”

I don’t know….maybe it’s the angle of the photo….but looking at the baffle height, the skimmer looks like it’s too deep into water. Won’t you have to elevate that skimmer a bit higher in the sump. And even if you didn’t, you could always drill a hole in the glass for the tubing to reach the “locker.”

Skimmer will be elevated 3", even then it is still too low to reach the locker. drill a whole in the glass to reach the locker is null and void. I will prob sell it on here.

I tried to be tricky and place the skimmate locker in my sump as recommended by another member. Unfortunately it floats too much even if I had it half full of water it still floated.

I think I'll end up selling it.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Drill....drill....drill! Drill a small hole towards the top of the sump to pass a tube out from the skimmer to the locker.

Drill....drill....drill! Drill a small hole towards the top of the sump to pass a tube out from the skimmer to the locker.

You drill drill drill!

Well I placed an order for my rock & sand on Oct 7th from reefrocks, still waiting on the sand... got my rock last week. Thanks guys

how big is the collection cup? Do you have an apex or another controller? If you're worried about it overflowing I would carefully drill a hole in the lid for the cup and get a float switch for it. if you have a controller you can program the float switch to turn off the skimmer when the cup is full. I think it will be simpler and cheaper.

how big is the collection cup? Do you have an apex or another controller? If you're worried about it overflowing I would carefully drill a hole in the lid for the cup and get a float switch for it. if you have a controller you can program the float switch to turn off the skimmer when the cup is full. I think it will be simpler and cheaper.

Collection cup isn't too small, I own an apex lite yes. I am not really worried about it overflowing, if it does it will go back into the sump. My primary reason for the skimmate locker is because it is a lot easier to empty than to remove the collection cup.

The collection cup requires a decent oomph to remove.

oh yes....the cup has a nice tight fit to it thst requires a little tug. Here's how I'm looking at it.....you will still need to clean the neck of the cup at least once a week because it will get dirty fast unless you get the swabbie but even then that needs to be cleaned. If you use the locker you will now have two pieces of equipment to clean instead of one.